PDA

View Full Version : Service Status Page and Broadband Fault

Acathla
17-06-2010, 17:05
How exactly do Virgin Media's service status pages work?

I called faults last night to report issue with my broadband connection dropping out and they arranged an engineer to come out today to have a look.

Engineer actually phoned to say there was a local network issue and couldn't believe I wasn't informed of it when I rang. Supposed to be a replacement UBR getting put in (Wilmslow) to resolve the power issues that have been going on with the network for some time now. Anyway, he said it would be pointless him coming over and was going to pass my case to the network team onsite.

Earlier today I thought something had been fixed as my upstream power levels were about 52 which is the lowest I think I have ever seen them. Now, it has increase back up to 57/58 which is around the levels I always get problems with. Maybe the fix hasn't been complete yet.

All the time, the Virgin Service Status page has reported no issues with any part of the network locally at all. How are we supposed to keep abreast of the situation when they report all's good? is there a point to the service status page when a known large-scale issue (affecting two areas) is not even reported on it!

Whilst writing this I've been on hold to faults to check on the issue but I need to go out now without having gotten through.

Any VM employee able to check on the status of fault 1289450 for me and I'll see about catching it when I get home? If the fix is in place, I don't think it's resolved anything!

Digital Fanatic
17-06-2010, 17:12
Hi,

Just checked that ticket and it was affecting around 100 customers, so wouldn't make it on to the status page as it wasn't affecting the whole Level 3 cab, just 2 amps feed from it.

The outage was fixed at 2am this morning as it was linked to a headend issue on ref 1289512

There seems to have been lots of single tickets raised that were all caused by the same headend issue. This meant nothing went on the status page as it works by seeing faults on whole cabs.

HTH

Acathla
17-06-2010, 21:26
Thanks for that.

What I was told it was a severe fault affecting all 50meg customers in the whole of Wilmslow and at 10am, network were away to get new hardware to replace the UBR to fix the fault.

So I was basically told balls...nothing new there then!

Digital Fanatic
18-06-2010, 00:53
Thanks for that.

What I was told it was a severe fault affecting all 50meg customers in the whole of Wilmslow and at 10am, network were away to get new hardware to replace the UBR to fix the fault.

So I was basically told balls...nothing new there then!

well the headend issue was the cards by the sounds of it to be fair. I only looked at the ticket quickly. If it was a headend issue, then for BBI it can only really be a uBR or card issue. :)

It was initially thought as a amp issue, but it was later found to be a headend issue, if that makes sense?

I'm at home now, so can't re-check the ticket. :D