PDA

View Full Version : VM Business services

ccarmock
16-06-2010, 22:47
Does anyone know when VM Business plan to launch a fixed IP address option on the 20 MB/s service?

I currently have the Fixed IP on the 10 Mb/s service. They told me that in the first quarter of 2010 they planned to release the Fixed IP service to the 20 Mb/s business tier.

So far nothing has changed, and they never seem to respond to emails in via the business support pages.

Chrysalis
16-06-2010, 23:39
do business users share with residental on port capacity?

Ignitionnet
16-06-2010, 23:41
Yes.

Kymmy
17-06-2010, 09:35
There's a lot that VMB need to do (just look at Ignitionnet's sig in relation to residential upload speeds and you'll see that fixed IP and no STM (for 4 & 10Mb) are now the only bonuses for VMB users. When I joined over 2 years ago there was the advantages of free support lines (now available on Residential) and Better Upload (residential is just about to overtake us) as well as the afore mentioned No STM and Fixed IP.

It's getting to a point where VMB isn't worth the extra money

ccarmock
17-06-2010, 21:31
I agree that the VM Business services are looking very dated now. Even offering a 4 Mb/s service (which they don't seem to be actively pushing though) means they are offering their slowest speeds to business users.

It is time the 50 Mb/s business service launched together with an enhanced 20 Mb/s - ie with fixed IP and improved upload speeds.

cybernetic_tiger
17-06-2010, 21:47
There are some major technical changes being made to the Business Broadband Fixed IP product and although this may not be evident from the outside it's taking a lot of work behind the scenes.

There's also a lot of testing ready for the release of 50Mb with new types of CPE and Fixed IP availability. Should be a public statement soon.

Kymmy
17-06-2010, 22:30
You'd expect them to drop 4Mb, move them all to 10Mb, move all the 10Mb to 20Mb and finally the 20Mb to 50Mb, and finally give everyone at least a 10:1 upload ratio. With that the business tariffs would still look inviting instead of currently looking like residentials poor cousin

ccarmock
18-06-2010, 22:39
Thanks Cyber. Good to hear work is progressing on extending the Fixed IP services. Do you happen to know if there are any plans to offer increased upstream bandwidth on the business services?

weesteev
22-06-2010, 14:43
You'd expect them to drop 4Mb, move them all to 10Mb, move all the 10Mb to 20Mb and finally the 20Mb to 50Mb, and finally give everyone at least a 10:1 upload ratio. With that the business tariffs would still look inviting instead of currently looking like residentials poor cousin

I would say that would be possible, apart from the last step.

Its unlikely that 20Mb would be migrated to 50Mb as that would also require a mass modem swap for 20Mb customers still using DOCSIS 1.1/2 gear. Its more likely that 4Mb would drop and 10Mb would become 20Mb and they have 1 tier of service. Its unlikely that business would operate a 50Mb service on the current residential modem but more likely offer a different combined hub in future (pure speculation).

I cant imagine theres a huge demand for such fast speeds on a business line for broadband when you really need reliability rather than massive downstream speed. If speed is your concern on a business line then its worthwhile getting a tailored datalink as Business can supply up to 1Gbps bandwidth (for crazy crazy money mind you!).

In the past it was worthwhile getting business for the advantages mentioned before, but compared to residential 50Mb, it doesnt seem like such a good deal anymore.

Kymmy
22-06-2010, 14:55
Upload with a fixed IP is what I'm worried about, it's not as if they can't supply a better speed in the future as we're on the same system as residential and by Ignitionnets details they'll possibly soon get better uploads.

I just find it amazing that whilst residential has raced away business has stayed still with only one new speed tier introduced now well over 2 years ago and that being 20Mb, and with the lack of fixed IP's even that is limited :rolleyes:

Chrysalis
23-06-2010, 05:24
its not all that surprising, business's that want high upload speeds isp's like VM want them to buy expensive leased lines instead of a sub £50 connection.

ccarmock
23-06-2010, 05:36
You coudl be right about the 50 Mb/s service, however when I spoek to business sales a few weeks ago they were fairly sure a 50 Mb/s business service would launch.

Kymmy
23-06-2010, 09:38
Higher upload speeds were always one of the sales points of VMB, for the 384k/500k/768k residential uploads on 4m/10m/20m business had 500k/768k/1m. Which means my 10Mb upload speed is currently 768k

As for 50Mb on VMB I take that with a pinch of salt or a long time coming, especially when we were told that if I upgraded to 20Mb (two years ago) that fixed IP's were coming in a few weeks.. and they still are not here..

ccarmock
06-07-2010, 22:37
I spoke to business sales today. The person I spoke to told me that they plan to launch a fixed IP address on the 20 Mb/s service 2nd week of October. This is when the 50 Mb/s business service will be launched he said.

I asked about upgraded upstream services for the business services, but he had no info on that. Does anyoen here know?

Kymmy
07-07-2010, 10:00
LOL, so a good 30 months after they brought in the service they finally take a small step..

ccarmock
13-07-2010, 00:10
Indeed - quite slow moving, though cybernetic_tiger said there ws a lot going on behind the scenes, so maybe we'll see some improvements to the Fixed IP service?? Are there any details you can share with us?

I'm on ex-Telewest service which seems marginally better than the ex-NTL fixed IP offering.

Re the comments about a traditional leased line service. I agree most businesses wouldn't use a broadband service as a main Internet service. However for home workers additional upstream bandwidth would make all the difference.

Soon the business services will actually lag behind the residential ones.

I think the 4 MB/s service needs to be dropped - this is below the minimum bandwidth offered to residential customers now.

The 10 Mb/s service has a 768k upstream, and 20 Mb/s a 1 Mb/s upstream. With the trials underway with residential I do hope the business services upstream is simialrly revised.

ccarmock
12-08-2010, 15:39
Had a need to talk to Business sales today so asked about the Fixed IP on 20 MB/s and 50 Mb/s business services. They are now saying December for this.

Much later than the Q1 2010 originally mentioned. I wonder if they will ever offer these services.

Kymmy
31-08-2010, 13:25
I see that the residential sides T&C's have now again got restrictions on business usage (it vanished for the last two years).... That's normally a good sign for the business side (i.e.. they're looking at their business side as a seperate service so should keep it ahead of the residential side)

We can but wait and see

D Using the services

1.You are responsible for the way the services are used. You must not use the services to do any of the following acts or allow anyone else to use the services to do such acts:

h.Use any services (including, but not limited to, phone services) for commercial or business purposes;

Peter_
31-08-2010, 13:33
I see that the residential sides T&C's have now again got restrictions on business usage (it vanished for the last two years).... That's normally a good sign for the business side (i.e.. they're looking at their business side as a seperate service so should keep it ahead of the residential side)

We can but wait and see
That will be because of the increase of customers using the residential for work and us having to tell them that we cannot support any work related issues.

It long enough for it to reappear.

Kymmy
31-08-2010, 13:48
I think also it's because people were seeing residential as a better alternative to business.. Why pay 50+vat for a 20mb/1mb line when you can get a 50mb/1.75mb for less

Will be nice if VMB do get their backsides into gear and supply businesses with a business class alternative

Peter_
31-08-2010, 13:56
I think also it's because people were seeing residential as a better alternative to business.. Why pay 50+vat for a 20mb/1mb line when you can get a 50mb/1.75mb for less

Will be nice if VMB do get their backsides into gear and supply businesses with a business class alternative
I can understand people ordering residential for the packages and prices, we only have an issue when they ask us to help with work related products as we do not support them.

Kymmy
31-08-2010, 14:00
I don't understand what these work related products are?? can you give me an example??

Peter_
31-08-2010, 14:02
I don't understand what these work related products are?? can you give me an example??
The likes of VPN for accessing work.

Kymmy
31-08-2010, 14:06
Would you help a student who wanted a VPN for connecting to the university computers, or a person worried about privacy who wanted a vpn to connect to an anonymity server??

It's a bit like people saying that all P2P is illegal ;)

Any other examples??

Peter_
31-08-2010, 14:13
Would you help a student who wanted a VPN for connecting to the university computers, or a person worried about privacy who wanted a vpn to connect to an anonymity server??

It's a bit like people saying that all P2P is illegal ;)

Any other examples??
VPN is not supported so we offer them Digital Home Support.

We can get people having issues with their servers, website access or problems not receiving their business emails which are say domain addresses like yourself.

We will always help people with their connection but we cannot help with losses through the being an issue with the connection which is the reason business users take business accounts.

Kymmy
31-08-2010, 14:17
That's the thing you'd restrict them types of help anyway if they're business or not.. I can understand the no business services policy on a vm connection mainly due to the simple fact that they have a seperate business service but I struggle with your explanation for the policy

whizzard
31-08-2010, 14:19
VPN is not supported so we offer then Digital Home Support.

We can get people having issues with their servers, website access or problems not receiving their business emails which are say domain addresses like yourself.

We will always help people with their connection but we cannot help with losses through the being an issue with the connection which is the reason business users take business accounts.

Business customers expect quicker fault SLAs to residential thus if they incur losses through a broken connection on a residential service they have no foot to stand on so to speak. Am guessing with the onset of upcoming network changes there will indeed be clarification on the Business side to, having equipment that can support fixed IP is a necessity before they even begin to do anything else.

Peter_
31-08-2010, 14:24
That's the thing you'd restrict them types of help anyway if they're business or not.. I can understand the no business services policy on a vm connection mainly due to the simple fact that they have a seperate business service but I struggle with your explanation for the policy
Which part.

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Business customers expect quicker fault SLAs to residential thus if they incur losses through a broken connection on a residential service they have no foot to stand on so to speak. Am guessing with the onset of upcoming network changes there will indeed be clarification on the Business side to, having equipment that can support fixed IP is a necessity before they even begin to do anything else.
That is the reason most people will go for a Business account the SLA's.

Kymmy
31-08-2010, 14:28

The SLA for business broadband is exactly the same as residential, it's only the phone service that has a 6 hour sla

The perks for business accounts used to be as follows

1# Quicker SLA on phone repairs
2# Higher upload speed
3# Fixed IP/IPs (only available on 4mb and 10mb)
4# No STM
5# Freephone customer services number

Since then residential are now looking at faster possible speeds (50Mb), the fixed IP's are chargable on the new accounts, STM is on 20Mb just not as strict and residential now also has freephone CS..

The way it's going the only benefit for business broadband users will be a slightly better STM and the fixed IP's that you have to pay for seperately :rolleyes:

Chrysalis
01-09-2010, 15:57

We can but wait and see

sttill very weak, I am baffled as to why VM dont officially forbid running servers.

ccarmock
01-09-2010, 17:47
Is there any definite news about when the enhanced Business services will be offered? ie fixed IP on 20 Mb/s and higher upstream bandwidth.

Kymmy
01-09-2010, 17:50
Yes apparently the fixed IP on 20mb will be when you see one of these
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/38.gif

and better upload speeds will be when you see them in a formation of three

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/38.gifhttps://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/38.gifhttps://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/38.gif