PDA

View Full Version : Speed Tests?

bluebrigade
16-06-2010, 15:53
What is the most reliable speed test?

Have tried Mybroadband and Speedtest and get wildly different results!

Kymmy
16-06-2010, 15:57
Depends on location of yourself, which server you use and what the conditions are between you and the server.

Best download test is to download multiple files at the same time from Virgin Media games demo sites and add them all up together. This will give you a better result than any speed test site

weesteev
16-06-2010, 15:57
I find that the London speedtest server is the most reliable for me. Although nothing beats testing by downloading from the gamefiles.virginmedia.com site to test your throughput.

Peter_
16-06-2010, 16:37
I find that the London speedtest server is the most reliable for me. Although nothing beats testing by downloading from the gamefiles.virginmedia.com site to test your throughput.
Here is the website link with full instructions on how to use the site.

http://www.virginmedia.com/testmyspeed/manual.php

Ignitionnet
16-06-2010, 17:05
What is the most reliable speed test?

Have tried Mybroadband and Speedtest and get wildly different results!

The most reliable test I've found is whether or not I'm happy with the speed my service is running at. If I am, browsing feels nippy, downloading seems ok, why should I care about the numbers a speed test gives me? :)

Chrysalis
16-06-2010, 19:39

whats good about speedtest.net it is a bigger reflection of real world performance. By using that you also testing VM's external peering capacity. Its great you able to test servers worldwide to give an idea not only on VM's external capacity but also to test your tuning.

---------- Post added at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

The most reliable test I've found is whether or not I'm happy with the speed my service is running at. If I am, browsing feels nippy, downloading seems ok, why should I care about the numbers a speed test gives me? :)

side note, reading your updated blog now ;)

pip08456
16-06-2010, 21:21

And that, Igni, is the acid test.