PDA

View Full Version : Upload speed doubled

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
12-06-2010, 22:32
As a none footy fan, I thought id check my speed while the england game was on, just out of curiosity, thinking everyone would be watching tv and the UBR would be virtually unused.
My Downspeeds were nearly maximum on my 20MB VM cable, but my Upload speed was 1.2MBps (should be max of 768kbps).
I checked it a couple of times on different sites but they all came back with the same result.
I then looked in my modem, and saw: Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 2048200

Thanks VM :)

SnoopZ
12-06-2010, 23:16
Mines still the same as 768.

IGR
13-06-2010, 06:42
:eek: Yeah I'm in Lincoln too and noticed the increase for a few days now, lets hope it gets even better ;)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/06/21.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

browney
13-06-2010, 06:52
No upgrade here yet.

Ignitionnet
13-06-2010, 08:00
See http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35039375-post1.html - it's not an upgrade rollout but a (small) trial.

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
13-06-2010, 14:52
Lucky I am in the right area for the trail I guess. The speed hasnt been up to the full 2MB upload yet, and I have been speedtesting every few hours, average is about 1.1MB so I guess they havnt quite sussed it completely.
Still, I'm not complaining !!!

Ignitionnet
13-06-2010, 16:07
Goodo. Was more to prevent lots of posts saying 'No upgrade in <insert place here> yet'. That's because there isn't an upgrade plan, just bits of Lincoln as trial for now!

General Maximus
13-06-2010, 16:28
how annoying, the 20mbit peeps are getting nearly as much upload juice as us 50mbit peeps

BenMcr
13-06-2010, 16:37
how annoying, the 20mbit peeps are getting nearly as much upload juice as us 50mbit peepsOnly in the trial areas compare with the rest of the network. For those on the trial speeds 50Mbit will still have a faster upload than 20Mbit

And if/when the improved uploads get rolled out 50Mbit will still have a faster upload than 20Mbit

General Maximus
13-06-2010, 16:45
yeah but the 20mbit peeps with the new config have seen their speed doubled, I have got a 5mbit config file and my upload speed has gone from 1.6mbits up to about 1.8/9. I would be over the moon if it went up to 3 or 4 mbits even if it was only for a trial.

Ignitionnet
13-06-2010, 16:48
yeah but the 20mbit peeps with the new config have seen their speed doubled, I have got a 5mbit config file and my upload speed has gone from 1.6mbits up to about 1.8/9. I would be over the moon if it went up to 3 or 4 mbits even if it was only for a trial.

Didn't you report a fault and that's when you noticed your slower speeds?

Just a thought that maybe when the fault clears you'll get the speed in the config file.

Anyway whole point of trials is trialling different things, like beta testing a new software program performance can vary. If you are feeling annoyed by this I could speak with the trials man and point out his trialling in Lincoln is upsetting customers, maybe he'll move them elsewhere :)

General Maximus
13-06-2010, 17:03
The fault was something to do with the SNR which was resulting in the modem not being able to establish a connection full stop, it wasnt with reduced speed. For the 1 hour a day it was working it went full speed till it died again. I only noticed the new config file when i went into the settings to see what the problem was, i dont know how long i have had it for.

I am perfectly happy being on a trial and I know there are always going to be teething problems, I just wish i had known about it before hand so connection dropouts and stuff dont come as such a big shock. It would have been good if when i rang the indian call center peeps and told them my connection had died if they said "we are very sorry but we are conducting an increased upload speed trial in your area and there may be intermittent problems". I would have said "sweet, don't worry about it". Instead I got "I have run some test on your modem and it is faulty and needs replacing".

pip08456
13-06-2010, 17:14
If you are on the 50Mb service why would you ring the Indian call centre??

Masque has posted many times the Liverpool 50Mb support team number. In case you missed it here it is again.

0800 052 0431

Obviously not free from a mobile but neither is the 0845 number.

General Maximus
13-06-2010, 17:22
thanks dude

BenMcr
13-06-2010, 17:31
If you are on the 50Mb service why would you ring the Indian call centre??

Masque has posted many times the Liverpool 50Mb support team number. In case you missed it here it is again.

0800 052 0431

Obviously not free from a mobile but neither is the 0845 number.
I would point out that number doesn't just go to Liverpool

pip08456
13-06-2010, 17:35

Good point Ben however Masque does say that the sooner to 08.00 the more chance of it doing so.

I've never got offshore using it (touch wood!)

Ignitionnet
13-06-2010, 20:53
The fault was something to do with the SNR which was resulting in the modem not being able to establish a connection full stop, it wasnt with reduced speed. For the 1 hour a day it was working it went full speed till it died again. I only noticed the new config file when i went into the settings to see what the problem was, i dont know how long i have had it for.

I am perfectly happy being on a trial and I know there are always going to be teething problems, I just wish i had known about it before hand so connection dropouts and stuff dont come as such a big shock. It would have been good if when i rang the indian call center peeps and told them my connection had died if they said "we are very sorry but we are conducting an increased upload speed trial in your area and there may be intermittent problems". I would have said "sweet, don't worry about it". Instead I got "I have run some test on your modem and it is faulty and needs replacing".

Grief India struggle enough with basic stuff let alone that kind of thing. They would have no clue about your area, however there are a number of areas running with the same upstream configuration you are, for congestion relief, so it should just be treated as an SNR issue.

SNR issues cause degraded performance when they are partially fixed. If your upstream is slow and you've packet loss you probably have SNR issues, if upstream is low and pings are horrendous it's upstream congestion.

General Maximus
13-06-2010, 21:12
my upstream wasnt slow or anything because i couldnt even connect to the internet. At one point I had 0 correctable codewords and 1961 T3 timeouts on Monday night. Tbh though i dont mind. It was annoying having to wait 2 days for it to be fixed because the indian fudgepackers didnt know what they were doing, credit to the tech though who came round to my house and got it fixed within 2 hours.

Chrysalis
13-06-2010, 21:37
how annoying, the 20mbit peeps are getting nearly as much upload juice as us 50mbit peeps

signs that docsis2 doesnt cut it?

I am wondering why docsis3 isnt been used here for upstream.

according to wiki it can do 108mbit/sec with that VM would actually have proper capacity to supply what they selling, mind you wiki also says docsis2 is 30mbit but ignition said its 18mbit. different QAM settings?

Ignitionnet
13-06-2010, 22:17
signs that docsis2 doesnt cut it?

I am wondering why docsis3 isnt been used here for upstream.

according to wiki it can do 108mbit/sec with that VM would actually have proper capacity to supply what they selling, mind you wiki also says docsis2 is 30mbit but ignition said its 18mbit. different QAM settings?

Not a lot of room for bonding upstreams, once legacy network has been retired and all customers are on DOCSIS 3 capable kit it makes deploying bonded upstream easier.

Different QAMs yes, VM are doing 16QAM which gives approximately 18Mbps of usable throughput per 6.4MHz channel, 27Mbit (30 including overhead) is 64QAM.

DOCSIS 2 is fine for 5Mbps, remember it's a trial. Cablevision have been running 5Mbps upstreams for a while with very few upstream congestion issues and run them side by side with 15Mbps ones now.

Peter_
13-06-2010, 22:24
We take the majority of calls between 0800 to 2000 Monday to Friday and 0800 to 1600 Saturday, but come Sunday you only get Offshore and again outside of the hours specified you will get Offshore.

We take the majority of 50Mb calls in Liverpool but if we are busy they go Offshore so as to prevent queuing.

Ignitionnet
13-06-2010, 22:33
We take the majority of calls between 0800 to 2000 Monday to Friday and 0800 to 1600 Saturday, but come Sunday you only get Offshore and again outside of the hours specified you will get Offshore.

We take the majority of 50Mb calls in Liverpool but if we are busy they go Offshore so as to prevent queuing.

I would gladly queue to prevent going off shore and I would speculate the vast majority feel the same.

Peter_
13-06-2010, 22:36
I would gladly queue to prevent going off shore and I would speculate the vast majority feel the same.
I wondered who would be the first to answer my post.:D

AdamD
13-06-2010, 23:34

Confirmed
When I first called up to re-book an engineer for Saturday it went offshore and I couldn't understand the guy
Eventually I got cut off, but when I redialed, I got put through to Liverpool (Phew!)

gazfan
13-06-2010, 23:58

while I don't intend to confirm the 'vast majority' aspect of the speculation, I have to say I would also rather queue to get an 'onshore' agent, in preference to an 'offshore' one :)

Sirius
14-06-2010, 06:40
while I don't intend to confirm the 'vast majority' aspect of the speculation, I have to say I would also rather queue to get an 'onshore' agent, in preference to an 'offshore' one :)

Same here

Chrysalis
14-06-2010, 14:52
Not a lot of room for bonding upstreams, once legacy network has been retired and all customers are on DOCSIS 3 capable kit it makes deploying bonded upstream easier.

Different QAMs yes, VM are doing 16QAM which gives approximately 18Mbps of usable throughput per 6.4MHz channel, 27Mbit (30 including overhead) is 64QAM.

DOCSIS 2 is fine for 5Mbps, remember it's a trial. Cablevision have been running 5Mbps upstreams for a while with very few upstream congestion issues and run them side by side with 15Mbps ones now.

so cablevision

are running qam16 docsis2?
contend customers at the same high level as VM?

also how we define fine? is it that it appears to work some people get the 5mbit etc. or everyone is able to get the 5mbit and there is no significant jitter/latency issues.

you guys have said 1.5mbit upstream in a 9mbit docsis1.1 is on the cheap and cause of current issues, yet 5mbit on a 18mbit channel is a worse ratio so how would that work better?

either VM have different customer usage patterns in which case looking at cablevision is useless.
or cablevision contend lower
or they use more us channels
or they use higher qam

also if retiring legacy will allow qam64 docsis2 30mbit upstreams as well as bonded docsis3 then I think its a no brainer to retire legacy, is there some specific reason they cant do this such as some people needing new modems for it?

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

I wondered who would be the first to answer my post.:D

you can feedback this to your managers?

tell them to queue instead of overflow to offshore. :)

Ignitionnet
14-06-2010, 17:05
so cablevision

are running qam16 docsis2?
contend customers at the same high level as VM?

also how we define fine? is it that it appears to work some people get the 5mbit etc. or everyone is able to get the 5mbit and there is no significant jitter/latency issues.

you guys have said 1.5mbit upstream in a 9mbit docsis1.1 is on the cheap and cause of current issues, yet 5mbit on a 18mbit channel is a worse ratio so how would that work better?

either VM have different customer usage patterns in which case looking at cablevision is useless.
or cablevision contend lower
or they use more us channels
or they use higher qam

also if retiring legacy will allow qam64 docsis2 30mbit upstreams as well as bonded docsis3 then I think its a no brainer to retire legacy, is there some specific reason they cant do this such as some people needing new modems for it?

Cablevision's Boost and Ultra customers on each node share a single 64QAM channel.

Regarding the other questions no idea how heavily Cablevision contend, that's a question for them, and regardless it's also not relevant to VM as VM continue to trial, they aren't rolling out yet.

Point is 5Mbit/s works just fine on the upstreams VM have been using and 10Mbit/s is doable so long as there aren't too many modems, this being approximately equivalent to the 15Mbit/s upstreams Cablevision run.

There are a few things in the works to reduce the amount of modems that occupy each upstream channel. The killer was the big asymmetry in terms of provisioning of bandwidth and the lack of flexibility that the single upstream per node / service group could cause if uptake on one node were exceptionally high, DOCSIS 2 channels address this to an extent. In addition VM do add another channel to overlay where necessary.

Legacy is fine, set tops need a return path and aren't D2 compatible. Modems can be rearranged between platforms and frequencies reallocated if need be and in any event simply junking the equipment is commercially a tough sell.

They are certainly getting to grips with things now. There will be considerable work to be done in some areas but in others things are proceeding well and soon ATDMA / DOCSIS 2 channels on the overlay will be the rule rather than the exception.

Chrysalis
14-06-2010, 17:10
well we both know legacy isnt fine, forgot my area?
also regarding the 5mbit trial been fine, have you ignored the posters on here saying they cant even get over 50% of that?

Ignitionnet
14-06-2010, 17:14
well we both know legacy isnt fine, forgot my area?
also regarding the 5mbit trial been fine, have you ignored the posters on here saying they cant even get over 50% of that?

Legacy is fine - some areas are a problem but doesn't mean ditching the whole thing. No other cable company has so no reason for VM to do the so.

The 5Mbit trials are fine - the point of trials is that they can and do go wrong then issues get fixed before rollout. Per the post elsewhere 5 and 10Mbit worked fine in Coventry and Huddersfield on the same channels.

Chrysalis
14-06-2010, 17:20
so legacy is not fine then if some areas are a problem, in my book its fine when it works everywhere. If we apply that line of thinking to the rollout it would be fair to assume the problem areas will remain a problem after the rollout, and the problem could well magnify.

What happens when VM do the rollout, the people doing the work then start doing what you say the work to decrease the modems per channel when they see severe congestion but then VM close the cheque book say leave it as it is for commercial reasons.

New question.

Have VM trialled 5mbit in a problem area, one that has problems on legacy and on overlay? if not why not?

Ignitionnet
14-06-2010, 19:06
It would be fair to assume you're cynical due to previous bad experience and are looking for something, anything negative in this discussion.

Present capacity issues are irrelevant, the upgrades required to allow 100Mbit downstream and 5 or 10Mbit upstream will resolve them.

Legacy capacity issues are irrelevant and don't justify the retiring of the entire platform. It's still a perfecly viable platform and can run side by side with a couple of ATDMA channels on the overlay so long as networks receive the appropriate upgrades, which they are.

Sorry about your and other capacity issues but they are completely irrelevant to these trials and any eventual deployment of the technology. If there were no regard for capacity VM would simply change the configuration files and hope for the best which they aren't. Check Time Warner for that one - 5Mbps upstream on 16QAM 3.2MHz upstream channel.

Problem areas such as the one I live in are receiving extensive upgrade, other areas are, prior to upstream uplift and 100Mbit rollout, receiving resegmentation and optical upgrades where appropriate.

VM trialled 5Mbit in problem nodes. They did exactly what they are doing for the commercial rollout, resegmentation and ATDMA upgrade and it worked.

Lincoln is evidently having a few issues which will be resolved. This is the whole point of trials Chrysalis, to highlight potential issues and develop a methodology to fix them rather than having to do it off the cuff during a timed deployment. It means nothing for a full rollout beyond that lessons will be learned from Lincoln and applied elsewhere. One of these lessons that will be learned is, simply, how heavily utilised the upgraded upstreams will be.

Trials aren't there to work flawlessly, they're there for VM to learn from. So long as VM learn from the trial and can resolve issues trial successful.

Chrysalis
14-06-2010, 19:11
I didnt meant it as a reason to retire legacy. My reason for retiring legacy would be to get larger shared paths, we both know everyone sharing a 30mbit pipe is superior to people sharing 2 seperate 18mbit paths as an example.

Ignitionnet
14-06-2010, 19:21
I didnt meant it as a reason to retire legacy. My reason for retiring legacy would be to get larger shared paths, we both know everyone sharing a 30mbit pipe is superior to people sharing 2 seperate 18mbit paths as an example.

A better way to make extra room would be upgrading the network and making room. The legacy network isn't going anywhere, too many non-DOCSIS 2 devices and mixed-mode creates complications. Will be a slow migration over in most cases now rather than full displacement.

The legacy network isn't necessarily an issue to 64QAM upstreams, it reduces the number of 6.4MHz ATDMA upstreams that can be used is all.

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
17-06-2010, 18:46
Looks like they getting somewhere near the targets for my trial, just speedtested at bbmax and 1873Kbps UPload on my 'up to' 20MB downspeed cable.

General Maximus
17-06-2010, 18:52
when i was on 20mbit i had no probs pulling 2.2mb/sec

Ignitionnet
17-06-2010, 19:01
You missed the word 'upload' I'm guessing.

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
18-06-2010, 16:25
when i was on 20mbit i had no probs pulling 2.2mb/sec

Pulling ?

Read what I put again sir, UPload speed of 1873Kbps, didnt say anything about pulling !
I started this thread because I was shocked at how fast my UPLOAD SPEED had suddenly become, and thanks to the info given I realise I am in an area that is part of an increased upload speed trial. At first it was only around 1.1 - 1.2 Mbps, but now it seems to be up there at 1.8Mbps+ very close to the 2.0Mbps they are trying to achieve.

Dai
18-06-2010, 16:29
Uphill Lincoln today..

General Maximus
18-06-2010, 18:37
i dont know whether you missed upload out the first time round and then edited it but for some reason i thought you was referring to your downsteam which is why I termed it as "pulling" (down)

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
20-06-2010, 12:20
Dianasty - Good speeds hey :)

Maximus - no edit mate sorry, shudda gone to specsavers lol

I am hoping this trial becomes the norm for me, it seems like the upload speed increase actually benefits browsing speed etc too, very happy here.......

Gavin78
20-06-2010, 14:34
my modem ahs been playing up again today but the stats now say

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Baseline Privacy : Enabled
DOCSIS Mode : DOCSIS 3.0
Config File : foA,.iyewrkldJKDHSUB
Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID : 98
Max Traffic Rate : 53000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst : 3044 bytes
Min Traffic Rate : 0 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID : 97
Max Traffic Rate : 5130000 bps
Max Traffic Burst : 8160 bytes
Max Concatenated Burst : 8160 bytes
Scheduling Type : Best Effort

is that the right number should the stats be (8160) as I just did an upload test and its saying I roughly upload at 4000 kbps seems faster than usual I dont remember it been 8160 before

Sunday, 06/20/2010 at 03:38:15 PM (CEST), IP address: 80.2.79.184

Download speed: [++] 38,190 kbit/s (4,774 kByte/s)
Upload speed: [++] 4,635 kbit/s (579 kByte/s)

Ignitionnet
20-06-2010, 15:14
Yes, they are trying out different settings. Your upload speed is 5Mbit.

You have slightly different settings from the guys in Lincoln, they have:

Max Traffic Rate : 5122000 bps
Max Concatenated Burst : 1522 bytes

You have:

So different profiles are being used. What are your upstream stats, could you paste the page with all the upstream gack in it please?

Gavin78
20-06-2010, 17:24
is this the one you want?

Channel Type 2.0 N/A N/A N/A
Channel ID 1 N/A N/A N/A
Frequency
(Hz) 45800000 N/A N/A N/A
Ranging Status Success N/A N/A N/A
Modulation 16QAM N/A N/A N/A
Symbol Rate
(KSym/sec) 5120 N/A N/A N/A
Mini-Slot Size 1 N/A N/A N/A
Power Level
(dBmV) 50.25 N/A N/A N/A
T1 Timeouts 0
T2 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T3 Timeouts 14 0 0 0
T4 Timeouts 1 0 0 0

General Maximus
20-06-2010, 18:23
I don't know what sort of trial they are doing because I am still not getting much more upload juice than normal

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/06/11.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Gavin78
20-06-2010, 18:38
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/06/48.jpg

this was the test I did at 18.30 so deffo on 5mb upload at the moment

General Maximus
20-06-2010, 18:47
that sucks dude. Can you post your upload config from your modem so I can see how yours differs from mine. They obviously need to change some settings :)

Hom3r
20-06-2010, 19:12
I was downloading Dr Who HD on the BBC iPlayer.

My download rate was hovering around 8.36MB/s, on my 20 meg connection.

I have the NTL:250 CM

Gavin78
20-06-2010, 19:25

That was on page 3 of this thread

General Maximus
20-06-2010, 19:30
i think that is physically impossible. I am sure the Ambit 250 can only go up to 35mbits or something and forgetting the technological limitations of your modem i dont think you could achieve that based on the restrictions in place on your config file. I think the speed data you get back from progs like this is when it gets confused as it buffers the file. I have had the same thing with a download accelerator. I would like to be proven wrong though. If you are getting 80mbit on a 20mbit then good for you :)

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

That was on page 3 of this thread

Gnashers is right, I do need to go to Specsavers :)

@Ignitionet, do you think I could call somebody and get them to change my max traffic burst and see if that makes a difference, it seems to be the only thing different between our settings and signal info etc?

Hom3r
20-06-2010, 19:43
My modem config file says its on 20meg, and i do know that my modem can't get 50 meg.

I'm downloading Dr Who Conf, and getting similar numbers?

Strange.

Gavin78
20-06-2010, 20:13
I just tried the bbc iplayer and I think its giving false readings because I downloaded the same dr who and it was saying I was getting speeds of 35mb/s

Which would be nice lol

Ignitionnet
20-06-2010, 21:58
@Ignitionet, do you think I could call somebody and get them to change my max traffic burst and see if that makes a difference, it seems to be the only thing different between our settings and signal info etc?

Hi, I'm on your 1.75Mbit upstream 50Mbit service. I see that you've changed some of the settings in my modem and I'm getting a bit more upstream than normal, but one of the settings says I could go up to 5Mbit. Could you change xxxxx so that I do?

Now I've put it like that does that answer your question?

Just incase it doesn't the answer is a very big no. The people who changed the settings in the first place are quite aware of the performance from people with Samknows boxes, and no they won't change the settings at your request beyond perhaps down to normal if you bother them. :)

While you're getting the normal speeds for your tier, or higher, you have zero recourse and asking them to change settings so you can get more is no different from one of us on 53Mbit / 1.75Mbit phoning up to ask for an upstream boost out of the blue - not going to happen.

General Maximus
20-06-2010, 22:05
i just dont see the point of having a 5mbit config, especially if they know it isnt working. If they can change something to get it to work why not?

Stop It
20-06-2010, 22:16
I just tried the bbc iplayer and I think its giving false readings because I downloaded the same dr who and it was saying I was getting speeds of 35mb/s

Which would be nice lol

The speeds reported are correct.

However, the iPlayer uses megabits, rather than megabytes per second for their download speed reports. Sorry to destroy the mystery folks :-)

Ignitionnet
20-06-2010, 22:22
i just dont see the point of having a 5mbit config, especially if they know it isnt working. If they can change something to get it to work why not?

They know what works, they trialled what works last year and this one. I won't pretend to know exactly what they are up to but perhaps they are testing different configuration parameters in the field to find those that give the required throughput most efficiently.

Those parameters are actually a balancing act between latency, efficiency and bandwidth. It's not as simple as just Max Traffic Rate and just because you have a number there that's higher than normal doesn't mean that's what you'll get. While you're getting normal or higher there's still zero recourse, do expect your numbers to change as they play with them.

Good argument for removing access to the config files from customers this particular section of the thread :)

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

I was downloading Dr Who HD on the BBC iPlayer.

My download rate was hovering around 8.36MB/s, on my 20 meg connection.

I have the NTL:250 CM

Nah, exactly as the application says you are getting 8.36Mb/s - 8.36 Megabits per second :)

General Maximus
20-06-2010, 22:24
The speeds reported are correct.

However, the iPlayer uses megabits, rather than megabytes per second for their download speed reports. Sorry to destroy the mystery folks :-)

That's better, 1mb/sec sounds more realistic for a single file

pip08456
20-06-2010, 22:58
That's better, 1mb/sec sounds more realistic for a single file

No he's getting 8Mb/s = 1MB/s

General Maximus
21-06-2010, 08:31
that is what i meant. I always get my MB and Mb confused so i say mbits and mb when i am talking, so I was right :)

Hom3r
21-06-2010, 11:05
Nah, exactly as the application says you are getting 8.36Mb/s - 8.36 Megabits per second :)

I'm a numpty, I misread the speed, soif I divide my 8 I get roughly 1MB, so it should have been 16Mb/s

pip08456
21-06-2010, 12:55
I'm a numpty, I misread the speed, soif I divide my 8 I get roughly 1MB, so it should have been 16Mb/s

Yup then again that would be maximum acheivable but you have to take server load etc into consideration.

beasty54
21-06-2010, 14:58
Now I've put it like that does that answer your question?

Just incase it doesn't the answer is a very big no. The people who changed the settings in the first place are quite aware of the performance from people with Samknows boxes, and no they won't change the settings at your request beyond perhaps down to normal if you bother them. :)

While you're getting the normal speeds for your tier, or higher, you have zero recourse and asking them to change settings so you can get more is no different from one of us on 53Mbit / 1.75Mbit phoning up to ask for an upstream boost out of the blue - not going to happen.

Sorry if i'm totally missing something here but whats this about the samknows box?? I have a samknows box and my config file is also showing 5mb but only getting 1.9mb so far.

Ignitionnet
21-06-2010, 16:38
Sorry if i'm totally missing something here but whats this about the samknows box?? I have a samknows box and my config file is also showing 5mb but only getting 1.9mb so far.

That they can check your performance any time, so may be testing different parameters, nothing else.

Just because your config file caps you at 5Mbps upstream doesn't mean you'll automatically get it. Until the product description says 5Mbps upstream you've no assurance of it.

Look on the bright side, I won't be getting anything above the current upstream speeds until June 2011.

beasty54
21-06-2010, 16:42
That they can check your performance any time, so may be testing different parameters, nothing else.

Just because your config file caps you at 5Mbps upstream doesn't mean you'll automatically get it. Until the product description says 5Mbps upstream you've no assurance of it.

Look on the bright side, I won't be getting anything above the current upstream speeds until June 2011.

I wasn't complaining, i was just curious.

Chrysalis
21-06-2010, 22:47
They know what works, they trialled what works last year and this one. I won't pretend to know exactly what they are up to but perhaps they are testing different configuration parameters in the field to find those that give the required throughput most efficiently.

Those parameters are actually a balancing act between latency, efficiency and bandwidth. It's not as simple as just Max Traffic Rate and just because you have a number there that's higher than normal doesn't mean that's what you'll get. While you're getting normal or higher there's still zero recourse, do expect your numbers to change as they play with them.

Good argument for removing access to the config files from customers this particular section of the thread :)

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

ignition am I thinking along the right lines the higher burst value will mean worse latency in general? since it increases the size of each data burst? or am I thinking complete rubbish :)

Ignitionnet
21-06-2010, 22:51
ignition am I thinking along the right lines the higher burst value will mean worse latency in general? since it increases the size of each data burst? or am I thinking complete rubbish :)

You're thinking rubbish, note the 'Max' part of the parameter. It's the amount of data a modem can request a grant (send slot) for at once.

Chrysalis
21-06-2010, 22:56
fair enough :)

General Maximus
21-06-2010, 23:29
if that is the case does that explain why I am not getting much more above 1.8mbits despite the fact that my config file says 5?

As a side note, I have just checked my modem and got this:

DS1 DS2 DS3
Correctable Codewords 169750 173388 169777 N/A
Uncorrectable Codewords 236857 233620 231016 N/A

That looks a bit dodgy to me, they have never been that high before. Normally there are in the 200s

Ignitionnet
22-06-2010, 10:23
fair enough :)

It's actually mini-slot size that increases the size of each burst. Even then these mini-slots are measured in 6.25 microsecond ticks. Not exactly a killer if they are set to 1, 2 or 4 ticks per mini-slot :)

pip08456
22-06-2010, 11:02
if that is the case does that explain why I am not getting much more above 1.8mbits despite the fact that my config file says 5?

As a side note, I have just checked my modem and got this:

DS1 DS2 DS3
Correctable Codewords 169750 173388 169777 N/A
Uncorrectable Codewords 236857 233620 231016 N/A

That looks a bit dodgy to me, they have never been that high before. Normally there are in the 200s

Yes they are a bit dodgey and would point to an upstream problem but you haven't provided full stats.

Ignitionnet
22-06-2010, 11:21
Yes they are a bit dodgey and would point to an upstream problem but you haven't provided full stats.

Downstream codeword errors would point to an upstream problem? Sure?

These would have far more effect on downstream speeds and no way of knowing if they are incrementing right now or were a one off due to maintenance work.

To answer the earlier question yes that parameter can affect upstream speeds negatively and may well be the cause of the speed being pegged at about 2Mbps.

General Maximus
22-06-2010, 20:10
i was wondering if my modem was screwed because although my connection has been 100% afaik, the only 2 lights i have got on is the power light and the blue tick. I havent got the light on for the pc/router connection, the upstream arrow or the downstream arrow at all.

I dont want to turn my modem on and off in case it doesnt come back on again :cry:

ok, here's the whole lot:

Cable Modem Downstream
DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Frequency 299000000 307000000 315000000 N/A
Lock Status
(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y N/N/N
Channel Id 24 25 26 N/A
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM N/A
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec) 6.952 6.952 6.952 N/A
Interleave Depth I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 N/A
Power Level (dBmV) -0.85 -1.30 -1.52 N/A
RxMER (dB) 37.09 37.09 37.36 N/A
CorrectableCodewords 170121 173762 170118 N/A
UncorrectableCodewords 237141 233694 231083 N/A

US-1
Channel Type 2.0
Channel ID 3
Frequency (Hz) 47400000
Ranging Status Success
Modulation 16QAM
Symbol Rate (KSym/sec) 5120
Mini-Slot Size 1
Power Level (dBmV) 49.21
T1 Timeouts 0
T2 Timeouts 0
T3 Timeouts 14
T4 Timeouts 0

Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID : 355
Max Traffic Rate : 53000000 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID : 354
Max Traffic Rate : 5122000 bps
Max Concatenated Burst : 1522 bytes
Scheduling Type : Best Effort

beasty54
22-06-2010, 22:40
i was wondering if my modem was screwed because although my connection has been 100% afaik, the only 2 lights i have got on is the power light and the blue tick. I havent got the light on for the pc/router connection, the upstream arrow or the downstream arrow at all.

I dont want to turn my modem on and off in case it doesnt come back on again :cry:

My router does that quite often but i have no problems. You might want to think about rebooting your router after all mate, i just have and my speeds have gone from 1.9mb upload to 3.8mb :D

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/06/5.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

General Maximus
23-06-2010, 06:05
awesome, maybe they have finally fixed the upload config problem for the trial. That has given me a good enough incentive to do it. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

You were right dude, my lights are back on and now I am

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/06/4.png (http://www.speedtest.net)