PDA

View Full Version : VM Homepage message

)3az )3aziah
11-06-2010, 00:29
I currently connect my PC through a router to my modem and also have my X-Box and a works laptop connected (hard wire) to it.

Over the last week or so I have been getting a Virgin Media page that replaces my current homepage with a message that tells me that my DNS settings are out of date and I must set them to Automatic before I can view web pages. A quick reset of the modem makes this page go away and I can surf once more -however after about an hour or more I get the damn page back.

Setting my DNS to automatic slows my connection right down to the point where it takes some 15 seconds for the Googlr search page to load !

I have spoken to 9 different Indian folk at VM who have no idea what I am talking about and pass me on to yet another un helpful collegue.

Has anyone else encountered this and why can't I continue to use manual DNS settings like I have for the past 3 or so years?

Jim

Peter_
11-06-2010, 07:59
Do you mean this page below, if so you will need to change your settings as the old DNS servers are being switched off and when that happens you will lose your connection.

You can try using Open DNS or even the Google DNS settings if you are not happy with the new settings.

http://changesettings.virginmedia.com//

)3az )3aziah
12-06-2010, 12:04
Thats the one.

Why are they switching them off?

I have moved over to the Google DNS and things are back to normal. I found that with Automatic DNS my sppeds dropped a fair bit. Infact my speeds have gone up a small ammount with the Google ones?

kwikbreaks
13-06-2010, 11:44
Namebench will help you find the best DNS for you. It does vary over time of course and sometimes over a very short timescale.

I settled on using googledns for a couple of reasons - it is always up there amongst the fastest. Even the most enilic can remember the IP without having to look it up.

Set your DNS to auto to pull in the latest VM DNS and run namebench to find what best suits your connection...

http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

I sometimes find some BT DNS server or other is fastest but tend to avoid those in favour of genuinely public DNS.