PDA

View Full Version : Network congestion?

Jambone
03-06-2010, 14:46
I found this odd, with no downloads etc, and no other computers actively on the network. I ran this test: http://ndt.iupui.donar.measurement-lab.org:7123/ and received the report: "Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link"

Could this explain why my network seems to be so on/off, it will randomly just drop to about 4mb for no reason at times.

Cheers
James

pip08456
03-06-2010, 16:49
In a word-Yes

Jambone
03-06-2010, 17:11
Haha, I assumed that would be the case xD

Not sure where said congestion is coming from mind you. :\

pip08456
03-06-2010, 17:27
I would hazard a guess that you are on either 10Mb or 20Mb connection on the legacy network, may live in a student area and VM have too many customers in your area to supply the advertised speeds.

That said you have not provided any of that info.:D

Ignitionnet
03-06-2010, 17:35
In a word - no.

It says the same about my O2 DSL link which I can assure you is not congested in any way, shape or form.

The issues it detects can be caused simply by your having another program open that was using bandwidth at the time the test was taken - it actually reports congestion when there is a sudden speed drop.

Either way nowhere near enough evidence to try and say there is an issue present. The 4Mbps speed drops could be anything to be honest.

Jambone
03-06-2010, 17:42
Alright, thanks mate :)

10mb, used to be 2mb ;) mind you i live in knowle haha, not many student :p

pip08456
03-06-2010, 17:48
In a word - no.
The issues it detects can be caused simply by your having another program open that was using bandwidth at the time the test was taken - it actually reports congestion when there is a sudden speed drop.

Either way nowhere near enough evidence to try and say there is an issue present. The 4Mbps speed drops could be anything to be honest.

I agree, not enough evidence as far as the OP is concerned.

With utorrent running I get this report (edited)

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

I'll try it again when I have a full download/upload going to see the result.

OK Igni, I see your point.

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

I started a download just to see what would happen

Jambone
03-06-2010, 18:12
Ah, cheers guys. Alright, new question. In terms of best connection, with 10Mb internet, what should I set my Transmission Rate at on the router?

Cheers
James

pip08456
03-06-2010, 18:28
If you are talking about a VM supplied router then you need not change anything. It works right out of the box.

Jambone
03-06-2010, 19:42
Fair enough, was just curious..cheers.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

Odd thing is, when i force it to transmit @ 12Mbps, the network seems to be more stable @ 7 Mbps...

pip08456
03-06-2010, 20:09
I have a slight problem understanding your post.

You are on a 10Mbs connection trying to force a 12Mbs connection and wonder why it is more stable on 7Mbs. Have I missed something?

Jambone
03-06-2010, 21:17
Haha ok no basically, when I set the router to transmit at 54Mbps, the speed seems to hang at about 4Mbps, however when I set the router to transmit at 12Mbps and the speed seems to go up to about 7Mbps. I'm curious to know what effect the routee transmission speed has on the actual speed?

Cheers
James

pip08456
03-06-2010, 21:53
Ahhhh you are talking about wireless speeds.

Actual speed is dictated by the modem, the router should be ale to transmit to the modem at full speed (ie your full 10Mbs) and more as it is a wired connection.

What you are on about is the speed between the wireless device and the router (I think).

You would be far better off trying different channels rather than trying diffrent transmit rates IMO.

Jambone
03-06-2010, 21:57
Ahhhh you are talking about wireless speeds.

Actual speed is dictated by the modem, the router should be ale to transmit to the modem at full speed (ie your full 10Mbs) and more as it is a wired connection.

What you are on about is the speed between the wireless device and the router (I think).

You would be far better off trying different channels rather than trying diffrent transmit rates IMO.

Cheers mate, I'll give it a check, it just honestly does not feel up to par at the moment. :)

Chrysalis
04-06-2010, 11:41
yeah that url is not a good way of seeing you congested.

try posting here a tracert to bbc.co.uk so we can see the amount of jitter on the connection, also run a test at pingtest.net using maidenhead server and a test at speedtest.net using the london or milton keynes server.

if the speedtest is poor then repeat the test between 3am and 6am to see if it improves.

Jambone
04-06-2010, 18:04
Yesterday it said my network was too congested to even get a result on pingtest. Fortunately internet has been fine today, must've been a one of haha :)