PDA

View Full Version : Modem in the roofspace

Blur
25-05-2010, 20:54
Howdie,

I'm looking to finally make the switch from ADSL to cable (Virgin XXL) and have a quick question.

The computer and games consoles are located two floors up, in the roofspace, so naturally I'd like the modem installed in here, would this be possible and if so would the speed decrease be that noticeable? Im curious as using a wireless router to connect to the computer in the roofspace would be out of the question.

Ta in advance

Halcyon
25-05-2010, 21:00
I doubt you would loose any speed. I have my modem in the loft and it is fine.

Most installers now do not install at heights or above ground level but you may be able to cook them breakfast or something and they may do it for you.

Alternatively if that can't be done, leave the modem downstairs and have ethernet cable going up through under the floorboards and up. You won't loose any speed upto about 100 meters with ethernet cable too.
Obviously this is a bigger job for you to do.

MovedGoalPosts
25-05-2010, 21:36
Generally VM installers will not drill through ceilings (they have no idea what else they might be drilling into), so routing the cable internally to the loft won't happen.

Routing a cable externally, they might just get to first floor. Above that level again would be a challenge. There is just too much health and safety red tape these days for them to climb ladders up to roof eaves levels.

All is not lost though. You could prepare the way in advance. No doubt you can see where the external pavement connection is. That give you a point straight line) where the external junction box would be fitted on your wall by the installation team having run the cable through your garden. Now if you pre-create a route for the cable from that box to your loft, you may well be able to pull the cable through for the installer so that they just have to terminate the pulled through cable end. But you'd still need the installer to co-operate and that cannot be guaranteed as they don't have time to faff around.

Of course your loft will need to be properly accessible for the installer i.e. proper fixed ladder and properly boarded. If it doesn't look safe there is no way they are going in there to connect up any modem or cables.

Blur
25-05-2010, 22:48
Thanks folks,

That's what I was dreading. Should probably have mentioned that its a bedroom converted loft, stairway leading up to it and all that. Also if its any merit, I've had a secondary phoneline installed up here before,with little bother, would running the modem up be much different?

Running an ethernet cable up to the loft would probably be a last resort option, which could connect up the pc, but then unsure about the games consoles.

dd11
25-05-2010, 22:54
Running an ethernet cable up to the loft would probably be a last resort option, which could connect up the pc, but then unsure about the games consoles.

Could you run an ethernet cable from your VM modem/router, then out near a window joint perhaps and up the outside wall, and just a simple entry into the loft? rather than drilling around to get it up there indoors.

Once you've got 1 connection in there, you could just stick an ethernet switch/router in.

Halcyon
25-05-2010, 23:04
There is also the option that you go up the ladder, measure it all out and see how much cable you need.

Talk to the installer and see if from the box on the side of the house he can just leave the required length cable.
Then he can fit the ends and everything on and all you need to do is drill it yourself and pin it to your external wall and in through under the eaves.

dd11
25-05-2010, 23:51
There is also the option that you go up the ladder, measure it all out and see how much cable you need.

Talk to the installer and see if from the box on the side of the house he can just leave the required length cable.
Then he can fit the ends and everything on and all you need to do is drill it yourself and pin it to your external wall and in through under the eaves.

Doesn't the job have to be at least all plugged it and setup before the installer leaves, otherwise the customer could say the install wasn't completed or done properly? Just a wild guess :/

MovedGoalPosts
26-05-2010, 09:53
If it is a proper loft conversion then although the installer won't want to run the cable himeself up the outside of the house, you could preprepare a route through any roof void and eaves soffit. Then set up a drawstring. When the installer is there simply attach cable to draw string pull it up from ground through roofspace into the loft and the installer can then connect - no ladders needed on the day, installation all left proven to be operating, and just leavinig you to clip the external cable when you get a moment.

If you were to run an ethernet cable from the modem installed in a ground floor room, if you have more than one computer / console then at some point you have a router in your network. That doesn't have to be next to the modem, so why not keep that inthe roofspace with all your other kit, and just the modem at ground floor. Bit of a nuisance though when you can't see the modem lights if the network is being a pain and have to start running up and down stairs to check.

Stuart
26-05-2010, 11:06
Doesn't the job have to be at least all plugged it and setup before the installer leaves, otherwise the customer could say the install wasn't completed or done properly? Just a wild guess :/

It can be shown to be working without the cable being in it's final position.

the-cable-guy
26-05-2010, 13:49
Generally VM installers will not drill through ceilings (they have no idea what else they might be drilling into), so routing the cable internally to the loft won't happen.

Routing a cable externally, they might just get to first floor. Above that level again would be a challenge. There is just too much health and safety red tape these days for them to climb ladders up to roof eaves levels.

All is not lost though. You could prepare the way in advance. No doubt you can see where the external pavement connection is. That give you a point straight line) where the external junction box would be fitted on your wall by the installation team having run the cable through your garden. Now if you pre-create a route for the cable from that box to your loft, you may well be able to pull the cable through for the installer so that they just have to terminate the pulled through cable end. But you'd still need the installer to co-operate and that cannot be guaranteed as they don't have time to faff around.

Of course your loft will need to be properly accessible for the installer i.e. proper fixed ladder and properly boarded. If it doesn't look safe there is no way they are going in there to connect up any modem or cables.

tbh tho VM dont care iv seen various installers doing all of the above.

Ben B
26-05-2010, 15:05
For the upstairs connection here the installer just cut a length of cable, came upstairs and pushed it through a hole that was already there from and old aerial connection, but then again there was a VM connection directly on the ground below already for the broadband which he split the cable from and put a new termination box on the wall.

Blur
26-05-2010, 21:48
Thanks folks for the help and advice

If they can at least get the modem up to the first floor, running an ethernet cable up into a router in the loft shouldn't be too much bother.

Uncle Peter
27-05-2010, 00:33
My cable modem is in my office which is at the back of a fairly large bungalow. The installers (there were 2 of them) ran the cable from the front of the house through the fascia, into the loft and down. The lad up there tacked it along the length of a joist and ran it down through the ceiling. Hats off to them they did a great job. I've had this in for a fair few years though so not sure if they'd be willing to do the same now.

calmpitbull
27-05-2010, 16:34
Wait for the installer to call, tell him where you want it.

If he cannot do it:

1. Ask to be left enough cable to do it yourself and ask for the job to be re-scheduled for say in a weeks time.
2. Install the cable from end to end, leave plenty of slack at each end, be careful not to kink or over-bend the cable. Don't use clips that are too small, basically you get the idea that the cable is fragile!
3. Installer comes back for re-appointed job and has an easy job! Everyone is happy!

Blur
28-05-2010, 19:31
Booked 48 hours ago, and they turned up today .. 2 weeks early. No call or anything, just turned up, That would have been good news if it weren't for the fact they installed the completely wrong package. 10 rather than 50 meg, wrong phone package and no TV cable installed. Not the installers fault, a massive feck up back at the office it seems, must be a lucky guy somewhere getting 50 installed rather than 10:D

Good news is that the modem can be installed in the loft .. ill just have to wait until the 8th to get it.

Off to a great start!

ccarmock
30-05-2010, 16:08
I also had a cable modem installed in the loft- the installers had no issue runing the cable up the outside of the house to the eaves and then into the loft that way.