PDA

View Full Version : 50mb Down all day (NG8)

SgtDK
23-05-2010, 21:18
Hello, is the title says my net has been down all day and I'm currently posting from my phone,

my modem ready light is off and isn't even trying to sync and the only light that has been flashing all day is the upload light

checking on 192.168.100.1 my downstream power level is -20.55 and the only active stream is DS-1,

In operation config primary downstream/upstream service flow both say error

I'm no expert so I'm looking for some help and to see if it just me with these problems or if it is an area fault

thanks DK

deathtrap3000
23-05-2010, 22:07
downstream level is way too low. have you contacted virgin yet?

Peter_
23-05-2010, 22:13
In normal operation you would have 3 or 4 Downstreams depending on what we use in your area, but with only having one downstream the power level does not really matter as you are not online.

What is the Upstream power.

If it is not back on by 0800 tomorrow morning then you will need to call the 50Mb Support Team on 0800 052 0431.

Do not ring now unless you want to speak to Offshore.

SgtDK
23-05-2010, 23:16
Upstream power level is 21.18

Yes I contacted virgin best they could donwas an engineer on Thursday which tbh is pretty terrible

Peter_
23-05-2010, 23:22
Upstream power level is 21.18

Yes I contacted virgin best they could donwas an engineer on Thursday which tbh is pretty terrible
It could easily be an area fault and if you spoke to India they will just follow process and book an engineer by default.

Call again tomorrow after 0800 and speak to a UK agent who be able to advise you further.

Last week my Internet was down Monday to Friday which is a first for me but at least I could browse on my phone.

SgtDK
23-05-2010, 23:24
Refreshed upstream a few time and the power level was jumping all over the place from 42 to 51 and 58

Peter_
23-05-2010, 23:27
Refreshed upstream a few time and the power level was jumping all over the place from 42 to 51 and 58
It sounds like an area fault to be honest and it may come back online depending what the issue is, but if not call in the morning for an update.

SgtDK
23-05-2010, 23:30
One last question on the status page it says ranged upstream channel retries exceeded if the problem in the area is fixed would this stop the modem from connecting

Peter_
24-05-2010, 06:42
One last question on the status page it says ranged upstream channel retries exceeded if the problem in the area is fixed would this stop the modem from connecting
The modem will reconnect once the problem is fixed.;)

adyaceuk
24-05-2010, 09:56
I am in the RG5 area and I have the same issue.

I have an engineer coming today, but I was told by india yesterday there is an utilisation issue which would take a further week to fix, he said VM have already been working on this for the past two weeks.

I also asked why does my cable check pass, he said the service is ok...at this point I asked to explain what utilisation issue meant, I'm still lost.

Is anyone able to explain further. I also have one upstream which keeps dropping.

At the moment I got a lock and the tick, but no DNS.

Peter_
24-05-2010, 10:12
Is anyone able to explain further. I also have one upstream which keeps dropping.

The is only one upstream on 50Mb.

adyaceuk
24-05-2010, 10:23
Ok Thanks. Do you have any reported issues in the RG5 4 area?

pip08456
24-05-2010, 15:19
I also asked why does my cable check pass, he said the service is ok...at this point I asked to explain what utilisation issue meant, I'm still lost.

Is anyone able to explain further.

Unusually Masque skirted this part of your post. Put simply it means too many subscribers on your connection.

A case of oversell by VM before doing the necessary upgrades.

adyaceuk
24-05-2010, 15:33
Thanks, good to get some confirmation.

Peter_
24-05-2010, 17:12
Unusually Masque skirted this part of your post. Put simply it means too many subscribers on your connection.

A case of oversell by VM before doing the necessary upgrades.
I missed that due to posting via my phone at the time.:):erm:

I cannot see the link between no connection with only one downstream and a twitchy upstream, and high utilisation but offshore tend to infill where they have no real answer.:erm:

if the is a link I expect Ignitionnet to pop in later.;)

If you find that you are getting slow speeds once back online ring after 0800 and try to speak to a UK agent for a better explanation.

adyaceuk
25-05-2010, 08:59
Two Engineers came last night and fixed it. As I have the green box outside my front window they moved me from the low to the middle section and that fixed it. I am sure he said there is an area issue. I can't believe india told me I would have to wait a week grrrrr.

Thanks VM engineers ace job. They even left me a mobile if it went again.

Peter_
25-05-2010, 09:07
Two Engineers came last night and fixed it. As I have the green box outside my front window they moved me from the low to the middle section and that fixed it. I am sure he said there is an area issue. I can't believe india told me I would have to wait a week grrrrr.

If they are unaware of an area issue then they have to follow process and book an engineer as that will then flag up an issue to our Faults teams who can then raise the issue.

SgtDK
25-05-2010, 23:45
Update.

Unfortunatly for me the internet is still down,

Pretty dissapointed with the response from calling up, was told multiple times at which the internet would be up today 9am, 9pm, 11:30pm and the best one of them all, 15:33pm and 27 seconds (LOL?) but its still not up.

Honestly don't know when to expect it to come back on now, guess my best chance of getting it sorted is to wait until thursday for the engineer to come round.

/sigh