PDA

View Full Version : when is 100mbit coming?

General Maximus
19-05-2010, 18:50
I have googled it and there are tonnes of articles saying that VM are going to do it but there are mixed message as to when. The majority of articles say by the end of 2010 but does that mean that are going to have it rolled out by the end of 2010 (i.e starting in July or something) or that they are simply going to have started by the end of 2010? (i.e starting rolling it out by area in December and not actually finishing till July 2011 or something).

I am just curious if anyone has got any hard info because I get very excited about this stuff and I hate not knowing. At least if I have a date I know how long it is going to be.

Ignitionnet
19-05-2010, 19:11
Think 50Mbit 2 years ago. 3 areas were ready in time for Virgin to proclaim they had 50Mbit released for Christmas 2008 with other areas coming online after this. Same will happen this time around with a minimal amount of customers able to get 100Mbit at Christmas 2010 with more areas coming online and rollout completing during 2011.

No idea when it'll be done by. It'll be done when VM say it will but areas won't start coming online for a while. 100Mbit will require both extra downstream capacity, so less modems on each card that serves 50Mbit at the moment, and DOCSIS 2 or better upstream which will be a bit more problematic.

You have zero chance of getting a date for when your area specifically will be ready for a while yet simply because Virgin themselves won't know yet.

General Maximus
19-05-2010, 20:32
Think 50Mbit 2 years ago. 3 areas were ready in time for Virgin to proclaim they had 50Mbit released for Christmas 2008 with other areas coming online after this.

Yeah that is what I was afraid of. I don't want to wait another year :(

Ignitionnet
19-05-2010, 20:51
Yeah that is what I was afraid of. I don't want to wait another year :(

If you can find any uses for 100Mbit that don't involve dodgy downloading of DVDs, Blu Rays, etc, that'll potentially get you slapped for the downloading you're a better man than I am - apps still not quite there for that one :)

Makes a nice press release though!

General Maximus
19-05-2010, 21:25
It depends what sort of stuff you do. There are definitely uses for it, even if they may not be frequent ones. I love my gaming and these days I actually prefer to download stuff than bum around with dvds. I downloaded AVP off steam when it was released a couple of months ago and coudn't believe it when it said it was 15gb. Luckily for me it took just under 1 hour to download. Now if I had 100mbit it could have potentially taken 30 mins or less. I am a firm believer in everything being proportional so if file sizes increase, so should download speed. It shouldn't be the case that file sizes shoot up and I am thinking "oh well nevermind, I'll just leave my pc on all night downloading".

Andrewcrawford23
19-05-2010, 22:54
If you can find any uses for 100Mbit that don't involve dodgy downloading of DVDs, Blu Rays, etc, that'll potentially get you slapped for the downloading you're a better man than I am - apps still not quite there for that one :)

Few good HD streams ;) but where from i dn tknow to be honest itunes?

Chrysalis
20-05-2010, 01:20
I just really hope VM dont attempt to roll it out without capacity upgrades, aka docsis1 upstreams and no extra downstream capacity. I am sure the temptation is there for them to do that.

|Kippa|
20-05-2010, 08:16
I do hope they increase the upload rate to at least 5mbit before they fart about with 100mbit.

AbyssUnderground
20-05-2010, 12:19
I do hope they increase the upload rate to at least 5mbit before they fart about with 100mbit.

They'll have to, or there will barely be enough ack packets being sent back to sustain 100Mbps :)

Ignitionnet
20-05-2010, 12:42
I just really hope VM dont attempt to roll it out without capacity upgrades, aka docsis1 upstreams and no extra downstream capacity. I am sure the temptation is there for them to do that.

Not really, they release the product with a load of fanfare and it sucks they get panned in the press ;)

nexy33
20-05-2010, 15:24

Skyplayer on xbox and zune hd rentals on same plus skyplayer downloads to pc ;)

Ignitionnet
20-05-2010, 17:51
Skyplayer on xbox and zune hd rentals on same plus skyplayer downloads to pc ;)

There's about 15Mbps to do that lot at streaming speed, how about the other 85? :)

My point anyway was that it's only of use for doing the same things faster, zero 'need' for it at the moment.

Chrysalis
21-05-2010, 03:25
ignition to be fair, usually demand comes after. Noone is going to develop a killer app that cannot be deployed.

in 2000 when adsl and cable were in their infancy the vast majority of the net was optimised for dialup.

But yes this 100mbit really is just so BT's 40mbit looks pale in comparison, the vast majority of people wont be utilising it for a while.

Ignitionnet
21-05-2010, 08:32
To be fair the killer app in 2000 was Napster ;)