PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with my modem?

Cabbage
13-05-2010, 23:07
hi there, sorry if im being an annoying newbie and posting this in the wrong place!

Anyway, my problem is that my cable modem has been working perfectly on my mums pc downstairs, but will not work on my laptop. It seems to be halfway connected, but the little earth icon isnt showing up ontop of the blue squares, and no connection to the internet. Its driving me mad, any help would be greatly appreciated.
:confused:

Peter_
13-05-2010, 23:11
If you swap over cables from one machine to the other you must reboot the modem by turning of the power for 10 seconds otherwise it will still think that it is connected to your mum's pc.

This is why many people use a wireless router as you can just change devices or have the laptop wireless even.

pip08456
13-05-2010, 23:12
You are not being annoying and you are in the right place.

When connecting with your laptop are you doing so wirelessly or wired? If wired did you reset the modem?

Masque you beat me to it!:D

Cabbage
13-05-2010, 23:28
haha oh im gonna be so embarassed if that actually works!
I just figured since i unplugged it all and brought it upstairs to my room from downtstairs it'd be fine.
I'll give it a try just now and let you know how I got on. Thanks so much :)

Peter_
13-05-2010, 23:30
haha oh im gonna be so embarassed if that actually works!
I just figured since i unplugged it all and brought it upstairs to my room from downtstairs it'd be fine.
I'll give it a try just now and let you know how I got on. Thanks so much :)
At least you never rang in and got told that, so not so bad, we get at least one or two a week each.:D

speedfreak
13-05-2010, 23:39
Im confused, what have you unplugged to take upstairs? The modem?

pip08456
13-05-2010, 23:44
Im confused, what have you unplugged to take upstairs? The modem?

Trust you, I wasn't even going to go there!:D

speedfreak
13-05-2010, 23:46
Trust you, I wasn't even going to go there!:D

My heads spinning trying to figure out whats happening here, either me on too much jd n coke or cabbage and masque are in their own world :D Is it a modem , a router, is there even a cable connection to it upstairs , I just dont know :p:

Cabbage
13-05-2010, 23:47
The modem, the blue wire, and the power cord. All of it. Its just a regular cable modem, not wireless.
The unplugging it for 10 seconds hasnt worked the couple of times iv just tired it then. The little yellow identifying triangle showed up for a bit, but it just goes back to saying local only.

speedfreak
13-05-2010, 23:50
The modem, the blue wire, and the power cord. All of it. Its just a regular cable modem, not wireless.
The unplugging it for 10 seconds hasnt worked the couple of times iv just tired it then. The little yellow identifying triangle showed up for a bit, but it just goes back to saying local only.

Is there a cable connection in your room?:confused:

Cabbage
13-05-2010, 23:56
haha no there isnt one up here, but when we first moved into our house and the guy came to install us, we didnt know if we wanted the computer upstairs or down, so he just gave us a really really long cable

pip08456
13-05-2010, 23:58
I'm sorry but I just have a vision of someone unplugging a modem, going upstairs and plugging the whole lot in without the white coax connected and expecting it to work.

I hope I'm wrong:D:D:D:D:D:p::p::p::p::p::p::rolleyes:

speedfreak
14-05-2010, 00:00
I'm even more confused. How many wires go in to your modem upstairs forgetting the power cord? I know it might sound daft but i dont know you, im just trying to be sure what you have plugged in because it seemed vague earlier

edit...thats what i was thinking pip :p: the long cable the installer left has thrown me though :D

btw cabbage sorry if it seems im taking the mick , i dont mean it like that, just trying to help

v0id
14-05-2010, 00:02
we didnt know if we wanted the computer upstairs or down, so he just gave us a really really long cable

ditto, I currently have around 8m of cable held in place by cable ties behind my desk :D

speedfreak
14-05-2010, 00:05
ditto, I currently have around 8m of cable held in place by cable ties behind my desk :D

wont that mess the power levels up when you switch?

Cabbage
14-05-2010, 00:09
Haha no its okay, i am pretty dense with this stuff.
Apart from the power cord, the only other wires are the blue ethernet one and the long white one.

pip08456
14-05-2010, 00:10
wont that mess the power levels up when you switch?

It shouldn't as the power levels are through the existing lengh of cable (ie 8mts rolled up) if anything the levels should or could improve once the cable is uncoiled as resistance would be lowered.

Haha no its okay, i am pretty dense with this stuff.
Apart from the power cord, the only other wires are the blue ethernet one and the long white one.

In that case just make sure both ends of the white cable are connected then access the modem and see what the config etc say.

speedfreak
14-05-2010, 00:17
It shouldn't as the power levels are through the existing lengh of cable (ie 8mts rolled up) if anything the levels should or could improve once the cable is uncoiled as resistance would be lowered.

I read it wrong, for some reason i was thinking it was 2 different lengths being switched around:dunce:

cabbage on your laptop is your network adapter showing as ok in device manager? sounds like a laptop problem, try right clicking the triangle, manage network connections and see what it says and damn you! this is my ps3 time I was dying to do some sniping but i want to see you sorted, my gf will be bangin on the floor soon demanding I go to bed :D

Cabbage
14-05-2010, 22:41
Aw thankyou! Thats really nice of you. Thanks for the help anyway everyone, Im giving up on this, I just dont have the patience for it. I've just resigned myself to tapping into the neighbours wireless signal. Cheers anyway!