PDA

View Full Version : its not true AV sender-messes up internet is it?

Itshim
12-05-2010, 09:13
Set up an AV sender last night & it does what it says on the box.(except of a small thing but I will post about that in the correct place)
I know this is just a coincidence, but my wife keeps saying that it is so much, so that I doubt myself.
Ever since I have put it on my broadband keeps dropping out!
I have an Ethernet connection so I fail to see why it would not work. &its hard wired to the PC However I find that I have reboot the modem ( so far 3 times in what amounts to an hour) :confused:

kwikbreaks
12-05-2010, 10:34
It will not interfere with ethernet unless it has a really iffy switch mode power supply which just might cause issues. Most AV senders work in the same frequency segment as WiFi (2.4GHz) and there will often be problems regardless of channels chosen on either if you try to operate them together - low speeds and drop outs on wireless connections and interference on the sound and/or video on TV.

Itshim
12-05-2010, 10:43
Most AV senders work in the same frequency segment as WiFi (2.4GHz) and there will often be problems regardless of channels chosen on either if you try to operate them together - low speeds and drop outs on wireless connections and interference on the sound and/or video on TV.

That I understand but my broadband is not Wi fi its hard wired Ethernet. :erm:

Sorry did not see top line. (not in quote) But as I said as far as I can tell there is no connection between my V+ box & my internet connection. So I guess that the one has no effect on the other.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

It will not interfere with ethernet unless it has a really iffy switch mode power supply which just might cause issues. Most AV senders work in the same frequency segment as WiFi (2.4GHz) and there will often be problems regardless of channels chosen on either if you try to operate them together - low speeds and drop outs on wireless connections and interference on the sound and/or video on TV.
Sorry. Switch mode power supply.whats that ?:confused:

Graham M
12-05-2010, 10:47
I had a weird problem a few months ago, had a PC with a iffy power supply and when I plugged it into the same bank of sockets as my Powerline Ethernet bridge from my router to the upstairs PCs it knocked out the signal and wouldn't work again until I switched off the PC and power cycled the bridge. It worked fine when I moved it into a separate bank of sockets though, though they were on the same ring main.

Itshim
12-05-2010, 10:54
I had a weird problem a few months ago, had a PC with a iffy power supply and when I plugged it into the same bank of sockets as my Powerline Ethernet bridge from my router to the upstairs PCs it knocked out the signal and wouldn't work again until I switched off the PC and power cycled the bridge. It worked fine when I moved it into a separate bank of sockets though, though they were on the same ring main.

O k I think I understand I don`t even think they are on the same ring main.They are differently not on the same bank of sockets.

kwikbreaks
12-05-2010, 10:59
I initially missed your I'm using ethernet and modified my post - you probably saw the original version.

OK switch mode power supplies...

In days of yore all low voltage power supplies had transformers to drop the mains voltage followed by circuitry to rectify, smooth, and sometimes regulate the output to a fixed DC voltage. To reduce costs (and sometimes weight) many power supplies these days don't use transformers but use electronics only to produce the DC. The circuity which does that uses can generate RF noise which can interfere with things that operate on low level signals. They can certainly mess up ADSL. I would expect cable to be more immune but have no practical experience as I've only just moved to cable so as well as no experience I've spent no time on cable forums where I may have picked up the experience of others.

So - it could be coincidence or it could be the power supply - especially if this is close to the modem or its power supply. All you can do is experiment. It will be the power supply and not the 2.4GHz signal though if it is the AV sender messing you up so moving that further away may be all you need to do.

Itshim
12-05-2010, 11:49
So - it could be coincidence or it could be the power supply - especially if this is close to the modem or its power supply. All you can do is experiment. It will be the power supply and not the 2.4GHz signal though if it is the AV sender messing you up so moving that further away may be all you need to do.[/QUOTE]

Right the modem & its power supply are a good 15 feet away. Modem/power supply are in the hall. AV sender is in the lounge on the far wall & behind the TV close to its power supply. the receiver is about 6 feet further away.
I have a vent in the wall which is big enough to take it. I will put it in to it . As it will it fact move closer to the receiver to see if that offers more "protection" Still I am not sure why one should effect the other.

kwikbreaks
12-05-2010, 11:57
If it is dropping out 3 timesper hour then the simplest test would be to confirm it is still doing that and then unplug the AV sender for a couple of hours to see if it is stable then.

I've read tales of a dodgy Sky Box blowing out ADSL across a very wide area but of course that is more prone to noise pickup and operates at far lower frequencies.

Don't forget that the noise could be carried by the mains - HomePlug technology relies on the mains to carry its signal.

Itshim
12-05-2010, 12:40
If it is dropping out 3 timesper hour then the simplest test would be to confirm it is still doing that and then unplug the AV sender for a couple of hours to see if it is stable then.

I've read tales of a dodgy Sky Box blowing out ADSL across a very wide area but of course that is more prone to noise pickup and operates at far lower frequencies.

Don't forget that the noise could be carried by the mains - HomePlug technology relies on the mains to carry its signal.

I will of cause try this. But what has home plug got to do with anything. The Av sender is wireless yes it draws power but so does every thing else. The modem is no way connected to the V+ box.

pip08456
12-05-2010, 13:20
So you have a seperate coax cable for your V+box??

Peter_
12-05-2010, 13:35
It will be separated by a splitter.

kwikbreaks
12-05-2010, 13:39
But what has home plug got to do with anything.The electrical noise from a faulty or badly designed switch mode power supply can be carried by the mains wiring from that unit to other locations in the property. Putting the power supply in a shielded box would block direct radiation from it but have no effect at all on any which was carried by the mains wiring. I only mentioned HomePlug because that technology relies on the ability of mains wiring to carry signals as well as power.

It may well just be coincidence anyway.

Itshim
12-05-2010, 13:41

Yes I would say so. The V+ box cable is not the one that goes to the Modem. They were in fact fitted years apart. I am sure that the only connection is the box on the wall outside from which both sets of cables run. The internet was installed long after the TV & phone.
To add to the mix Cardiff headend was upgraded the same day !!

pip08456
12-05-2010, 13:49
As Masque said above, it will be the same coax with a splitter on it so yes they are connected. I go through the Cardiff headend and have no problems.

Yes it may be a coincidence but the sure fire way of testing is to unplug the AV sender (and receiver) and see if the problem persists.

Itshim
12-05-2010, 14:36
Looked at service status ticket number 1260050 could this be the answer ?

However saying that when switching off AV we got back on again ! but for how long !

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

As Masque said above, it will be the same coax with a splitter on it so yes they are connected. I go through the Cardiff headend and have no problems.

Just for me to be clear in case I am ever asked again. The splitter is in the outside box fitted to my wall were the "underground " cable comes to before being taken into the house? :dunce:

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

I guess its a free-view box again. Shame it did just what I wanted