PDA

View Full Version : I'm an XXL user and i'm getting capped on specific websites

Timzw
06-05-2010, 17:23
Hi all, just wanted to mention this.. as it is ruining my use of the internet!

I'm a 50M user in Norwich and I've been having the following problems for months.. If i use certain websites like megavideo / cinshare / loombo or stagevu i have issues streaming after the first 700mb of video or so, i'm also having this problem on well established sites like Youtube (occasionally), 4od and bbci. The funny thing is, if i download from a private torrent tracker using encrypted traffic i seem to be getting at least 38m download regardless of the time.

My question is as follows, if i am being monitored for streaming video files, do VM even have a right to be capping by bandwidth on those sites to sometimes below 100k if I'm on XXL, and if so is there anything i can do about it?

I bought the XXL service because it was supposed to be cap-free!

Any help would be appreciated

jb66
06-05-2010, 17:42
Is it possible your being capped from the source of the files not VM?

Nilrem
06-05-2010, 19:00
Some sites certainly limit the speed at which you can connect to them*, and others (rapidshare free iirc being one of them) do cap how much you can use a day.

However I don't think 4od or BBCi do, which might indicate that a problem with the connection to them/at their end.
It doesn't sound like it's a cap at VM's end though.

*Fairly common to allow for a QOS, or as an incentive for people to subscribe to the site.

pip08456
06-05-2010, 19:39
50Mb is not capped it could be that there is another issue other than posted above. Without modem stats how do you expect anyone to diagnose it?

Peter_
06-05-2010, 19:44
Hi all, just wanted to mention this.. as it is ruining my use of the internet!

I'm a 50M user in Norwich and I've been having the following problems for months.. If i use certain websites like megavideo / cinshare / loombo or stagevu i have issues streaming after the first 700mb of video or so, i'm also having this problem on well established sites like Youtube (occasionally), 4od and bbci. The funny thing is, if i download from a private torrent tracker using encrypted traffic i seem to be getting at least 38m download regardless of the time.

My question is as follows, if i am being monitored for streaming video files, do VM even have a right to be capping by bandwidth on those sites to sometimes below 100k if I'm on XXL, and if so is there anything i can do about it?

I bought the XXL service because it was supposed to be cap-free!

Any help would be appreciated
The is no capping on the 50Mb package whatsoever, so the issue will be with the sites that you are downloading.

Bman
07-05-2010, 14:35
I've had problems with the BBC HD video player before, saying something like i need to have 'at least a 3.5mb connection to watch this stream' or something like that, it's rare but it does happen occasionally. I notice it sometimes on Youtube but only on some videos, my guess is Youtube have many servers all over the place but not all the videos are mirrored on every server.

broadbandking
07-05-2010, 19:26
Some sites have a certain about of bandwidth so as more people stream video's from the site the less bandwidth you will be able to use, not all sites have a 50Mb link for single users.

General Maximus
08-05-2010, 23:11
tbh I sort of understand where he is coming from. When I am downloading, doesn't matter whether it is from a website, torrents or newsgroups, I find I download a certain amount at full speed (probably about 10gb), my connection dies for about 1 minute and then kicks off again. I don't know why it does it and it hasn't bothered me enough to work out what exact quantity/threshold of data triggers it

Andrewcrawford23
09-05-2010, 10:57
tbh I sort of understand where he is coming from. When I am downloading, doesn't matter whether it is from a website, torrents or newsgroups, I find I download a certain amount at full speed (probably about 10gb), my connection dies for about 1 minute and then kicks off again. I don't know why it does it and it hasn't bothered me enough to work out what exact quantity/threshold of data triggers it
ive download large files probally 8gig on the 50mb i aint not any disconenction maybe something internal ora slight glitch on teh network for a few seconds, that only tiem i notice adisconecnt due to error on my network