PDA

View Full Version : VM Boroadband

melhook
02-05-2010, 22:34
Hi all,
I am hoping someone on here can be of some assistance, after spending over 2 1/2 hours on the phone to VM, and failing to get anywhere.
Last night my laptop told mye I wasn't connected to the internet.
I went and did the usual router and set top box reset, still no internet connection. My mobile phone can be used as a wi-fi router, so I enabled this, and can access the internet perfectly.
I called VM last night, they went through the usual checks, the guy told me that the computer was at fault !!
I left it over night and reset it again this morning. Still no internet connection.
Tried using my phone all ok.
I have hard wired to the set top box, still no internet, I have hard wired to the router, ( not in port 1 ) still no internet. I have tried 2 ether cables. The set top box has a green light as per the VM website, the router has all the green lights required. Still no internet.
Connect phone, can access internet fine.
Spend another hour on the phone, the guy said it was a computer problem. Then when he finally understood that i can access the internet using my phone, he said he would transfer me to customer services, I got transferred to the billing dept, she then put me on hold, and I got cut off after a further 20 mins on hold.
Does anyone agree with the VM guy saying its a computer problem, when I am on the internet now, typing this, using my phone as a router ? ? ?? I feel like cancelling my internet with them.

Can anyone offer some hlp/advice or an english phone number, where i can speak to somebody who understands what I am saying?

Thanks in advance Mel

SnoopZ
02-05-2010, 23:28
I'd try connecting directly to your modem if you already haven't done and taking the router out of the equation. Make sure you turn the modem off and then on and let it settle and then turn the computer back on again.

Also check your software firewalls to see if that was blocking the connection and maybe you have a games console or can get access to another computer to try too as it does sound like it maybe a computer issue seeing you can access the net via your phone wifi!

melhook
03-05-2010, 00:22
i have tried connecting directly to the set top box. and reset it. I don't understand how it can be a computer fault when I can use my computer online with my phone as the router. meaning completely independent of the virgin media box.

GordonD
03-05-2010, 11:04
i have tried connecting directly to the set top box. and reset it. I don't understand how it can be a computer fault when I can use my computer online with my phone as the router. meaning completely independent of the virgin media box.

So do you have a modem, or set top box?

melhook
03-05-2010, 16:29
I have a set top box, which was wired to my router. I am guessing I should be able to connect directly to the set top box ?
I have also tried connecting directly the router, but no luck with either one. Any ideas guys ? I think I am gonna go next door to my friendly neighbour, and see if my laptop works there !Ii will post results up if I have any luck.

Peter_
03-05-2010, 16:34
I have a set top box, which was wired to my router. I am guessing I should be able to connect directly to the set top box ?
I have also tried connecting directly the router, but no luck with either one. Any ideas guys ? I think I am gonna go next door to my friendly neighbour, and see if my laptop works there !Ii will post results up if I have any luck.
If you are still receiving broadband through a set top box then you need to call in and get a modem installed as we now longer supply broadband through them and want to swap over all legacy customers asap.

A set top box will not give speeds in excess of around 6Mb and our lowest speed is now 10Mb, you may even get an upgrade to a better package and a new router if you call in.

melhook
03-05-2010, 16:56
I have taken the laptop next door, and plugged it into my neighbours router, straight online.
Masque, thanks for your reply, are you saying that Virgin Media have just decided to ' turn off' peopl'se internet without telling them, and if this is the case how come nobody on the other end of 3 phone calls knew this ? I am gonna try it one last time at home and see what happens. however I kinda feel I am wasting my time, but it is raining outside !!!

Peter_
03-05-2010, 19:16
I have taken the laptop next door, and plugged it into my neighbours router, straight online.
Masque, thanks for your reply, are you saying that Virgin Media have just decided to ' turn off' peopl'se internet without telling them, and if this is the case how come nobody on the other end of 3 phone calls knew this ? I am gonna try it one last time at home and see what happens. however I kinda feel I am wasting my time, but it is raining outside !!!
No they have not turned off your internet, but if you are receiving broadband through a set top box and it develops a fault then we cannot get the set top box to work any more and we have to replace it with a modem.