PDA

View Full Version : Traffic management after 9pm

thedavid2007
29-04-2010, 21:22
I thought traffic management ended at 9pm. My speed does not increase after 9pm. I download about 2 to 3gb per day starting at 7:30am. The speed before 9am is close to my 2MB connection speed, but 9am it goes down to 25% of the 2MB speed. I've watched it after 9pm and the speed does not go back up to 2MB. I guess it goes back up at some point, but I'm not one for staying up late just to watch my broadband speed.

pip08456
29-04-2010, 21:27
If you hit the limiit for downloading STM kicks in for 5 hrs. I didn't know 2Mb was still a service.

moaningmags
29-04-2010, 21:28
Everyone on 2Mb was upgraded to 10Mb ages ago unless you're on a retention deal giving you only 2Mb.

Ignitionnet
29-04-2010, 21:43
I thought traffic management ended at 9pm. My speed does not increase after 9pm. I download about 2 to 3gb per day starting at 7:30am. The speed before 9am is close to my 2MB connection speed, but 9am it goes down to 25% of the 2MB speed. I've watched it after 9pm and the speed does not go back up to 2MB. I guess it goes back up at some point, but I'm not one for staying up late just to watch my broadband speed.

Check out the 'S' service here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html).

Also please note that traffic management runs from either 12 or 5 hours after it is triggered, it doesn't automatically clear at 9PM whatever, that's only when it stops being measured.

Andrewcrawford23
29-04-2010, 21:57
2mb is retention deal and it for surfing only, it has 200mb down and 100mb up limits and throttles for 12 hours if you downloading that much upgrade

thedavid2007
30-04-2010, 08:10
Yes, I'm on a retention deal. £14 for 2MB broadband only.

That explains it. I thought it went back to full speed at 9pm, now I know otherwise. thanks.

jb66
30-04-2010, 09:00
2mb 's' deal is to match skys crappy 2mb free broadband product.

Chrysalis
30-04-2010, 15:44
that retention deal may get a boost then as soon sky are changing their base to 20mbit.

skys current 2mbit product I dont consider crappy at all.

a uncongested 2mbit connection can do most mainstream activities. it will have stable jitter due to been on easynet's network and no congestion. So more capable than the 20mbit service I brought of VM, which frequently drops below 2mbit and has packet loss.

jb66
30-04-2010, 18:07
I consider a 2gb limit crappy. Can anyone work out how long it would take to go over this limit with a 20meg connection?

Chrysalis
30-04-2010, 23:56
well will see if the limit also changes.

I will be fair here as sky's service is line dependant, so for me it would be.

20mbit down to line sync of about 5-7mbit service has a agressive DLM, so sync likely down to around 5mbit. So 5mbit 24/7 uncongested available burst speed with good jitter. 2gig limit, and against VM 20mbit no usage limit, but horrific latency and packet loss issues, performs over 2mbit between midnight and 9am'ish. Sky base of course been cheaper. So both choices for me not great I guess. :)

broadbandking
01-05-2010, 08:42
well will see if the limit also changes.

I will be fair here as sky's service is line dependant, so for me it would be.

20mbit down to line sync of about 5-7mbit service has a agressive DLM, so sync likely down to around 5mbit. So 5mbit 24/7 uncongested available burst speed with good jitter. 2gig limit, and against VM 20mbit no usage limit, but horrific latency and packet loss issues, performs over 2mbit between midnight and 9am'ish. Sky base of course been cheaper. So both choices for me not great I guess. :)

I understand you have a crappy broadband connection but do you have to hi jack every thread about it, plus why are you still with VM if the connection is that bad.

Chrysalis
01-05-2010, 20:22
Forum's need posters like me to maintain balance, would you not agree if every post about VM (and other isps) were only saying its an excellent service would be misleading?

To say I am hijacking every thread is wrong, come on play fair.

I still have the connection as VM have asked me to give them more time to fix it, which I am doing.

broadbandking
02-05-2010, 08:26
Forum's need posters like me to maintain balance, would you not agree if every post about VM (and other isps) were only saying its an excellent service would be misleading?

To say I am hijacking every thread is wrong, come on play fair.

I still have the connection as VM have asked me to give them more time to fix it, which I am doing.

Its just too many threads, you are one person and prob in a different area than the other posters that you have told the connection is crap, dude I ain't been nasty just saying.