PDA

View Full Version : Cabling for Virgin cable and roof-top aerials

mplmc
18-04-2010, 11:34
I have a roof top aerial which was used for TV with a free view box. I then had tenants for a period who wanted broadband, films, phone and we installed Virgin cable. The cable had to go all around the building to reach the lounge where there was a single TV box – the cable was split earlier on its travels to the lounge to enter another room to provide phone and internet. The cable service is currently suspended.

I would like to keep my options open and keep both systems (as well as BT), and decide later on which service I will use for TV. I am wondering whether it is possible to (1) bring the virgin cable and the TV aerial to a central point inside the flat and then send a single cable off to each room where it might be used either for normal TV or cable TV – I would decide which supply was to be used when I was good and ready and once decided, I would just switch over the supply at the central point.

Grateful for info on whether this is possible

nodrogd
18-04-2010, 11:47
This not a problem with the TV aerial but doing it with VM's cable is not advisable. Everything up to the outputs from the VM equipment is technically VM property and its against VM's T&C's to make alterations. As people on the forum will tell you, anything apart from small alterations to cabling can cause significant signal issues.

If you decide to have VM TV the instaler would alter the cabling to where you need it anyway.

Kymmy
18-04-2010, 12:49
You can quite happily move the cable (you don't have a contract with VM so are not bound by the T&C's)

The only issue is if you do move them and do want tv later on then the installer might not use the cable and might insist on new cable making your cable re-run useless ;)