PDA

View Full Version : Cable up the wall.

VMboy
17-04-2010, 23:55
I looked at my neighbours cable that goes up the outside wall and into a small hole through the wall and into their house. It is very flush to the wall, and it also has a black what looks like a washer that fits snug to where the hole is.

My question is mine isn't flush to the wall where it leaves to enter my house, and doesn't have this black washer type thing of which I don't know the official name for, but I would imagine is used to stop moisture from entering.

Should I be calling Virgin Media to have a look?

nodrogd
18-04-2010, 11:54
I've seen these on loads of sky installations as well, so I've no doubt they're commercially available from aerial installers. Knowing what VM charge for house calls, I would say a DIY job would be preferable in the circumstances.

VMboy
18-04-2010, 12:27
I've seen these on loads of sky installations as well, so I've no doubt they're commercially available from aerial installers. Knowing what VM charge for house calls, I would say a DIY job would be preferable in the circumstances.

Unfortunately I can't get to it from outside, but I would have thought that if VM are fitting this now then they should come along and fit it for free.

It's not just that though, I want the cable to be flush from where it branches off.

Kymmy
18-04-2010, 12:43
When did they fit the cable? If very recently then you could have a moan but was no-one there originally to oversee the install??

VMboy
18-04-2010, 12:58
When did they fit the cable? If very recently then you could have a moan but was no-one there originally to oversee the install??

The installation wasn't recent, and only one engineer came to do the install.

He also didn't do the cable install from outside as I am sure he did it from inside, although to be honest I really can't remember.

At the end of the day I want it to look it's best regardless of when the install took place, and also don't want moisture creeping through.

Kymmy
18-04-2010, 13:03
I think you'll get charged for it.. You should have complained within the first 28 days (the cancellation period) for it to be taken as a serious install complaint..

That's like me going to a dealer and saying that I don't like the color of my car after driving it round for 6 months...

Digital Fanatic
18-04-2010, 15:31
The installation wasn't recent, and only one engineer came to do the install.

He also didn't do the cable install from outside as I am sure he did it from inside, although to be honest I really can't remember.

At the end of the day I want it to look it's best regardless of when the install took place, and also don't want moisture creeping through.

If you feel it is a problem, then speak to Customer Care (not faults) and they will advise if it can be done for free or £99.

It's expensive for Virgin Media to send out techs for non faults issues and they are unlikely to send one out for a cosmetic issue, but if you can give good reason it will cause problems then they may allow a free SRO (Special Request Order)

g0mit
18-04-2010, 16:08
just put some sealer round the hole

jb66
20-04-2010, 20:46
They usually fill the hole with clear silicone

VMboy
20-04-2010, 21:44
They usually fill the hole with clear silicone

I will be making sure they do that.

Will it be too late now? as after all it's been like that for some time and moisture and dampness may have already set in!

The cable isn't flush with the wall from where it branches out, so I will be asking them to fix that too.

hermann
21-04-2010, 22:52
Had 3 holes drilled in my wall by Virgin installers last week & each one is fitted with a 4cm black exterior sealing grommet, the holes having been filled with clear exterior sealant which also glues the grommet to the wall.

You could retro-fit exterior grade grommets (B&Q, about £1.50 for five) yourself if it's not too high up for you, by slitting them from centre to radius & slipping them over the cable, and squirting loads of sealant into the hole then pressing the grommet over it. The sealant'll glue the slit in the grommet too.
Alternatively, if you're in Lancashire, I'll come and do it for £90, thus undercutting Virgin by £10.

VMboy
21-04-2010, 23:08
I will NOT be paying Virgin anything for this, after finding out that this should have all been done at the time.

JayJay
28-04-2010, 21:18
I would of only used Silicone, I use 'bungs' on the insides.

calmpitbull
11-05-2010, 20:17
Grommits should be fitted, however not for any technical reasons but just because it was their policy. Not having a grommit will NOT make it more likely for water to go into the hole.

Grommits were usually fitted just because the in the past it has been policy and has always been the favoured way of finishing off a drilled hole in the cable industry. BT don't use them at all so you don't have anything to worry about.

Using a grommit allows you to drill more carelessly as you know the grommit will hide the exit. If the hole has been carefully drilled it looks better without one. Also if the hole has been drilled with a slightly downward angle from inside to out water cannot go in anyway.

The only thing I would do (if it isn't already done) is put some clear silicone in the hole, wet your finger and smear it around the cable going into the hole. This will give a nice water tight seal.

All in all there are much bigger things in life to worry about!

VMboy
11-05-2010, 20:53

That's like saying don't worry if you get cancer as the world just might end!

By the way this thread can be closed as the problem has been fixed.

calmpitbull
11-05-2010, 20:58
I don't think not having a grommit and getting cancer are in the same league!!!

Glad you sorted it though

VMboy
11-05-2010, 21:20
I don't think not having a grommit and getting cancer are in the same league!!!

True, but I was trying to prove my point.

gazfan
11-05-2010, 23:49
True, but I was trying to prove my point.

Do you actually know someone with Cancer?

My Father in Law died of lung cancer, recently - more tragically my best friends niece has just been diagnosed as terminal, the disease has spread to her kidneys & it is only a 'matter of time' - she is 30 years old - please consider how her family & friends currently feel & decide for yourself whether the lack of a cable grommet is suitable for such a comparison when 'proving a point'? :erm:

VMboy
12-05-2010, 00:11

Yes, but what that has got to do with you bewilders me.

gazfan
12-05-2010, 00:26
Yes, but what that has got to do with you bewilders me.

review your previous posts - what has cancer got to do with whether a cable has a grommet?

That's like saying don't worry if you get cancer as the world just might end!

- which has nothing to do with it - who is 'bewildered' now ?

Paul
12-05-2010, 01:04
By the way this thread can be closed as the problem has been fixed.
We dont close threads just because the problem is fixed ;)

VMboy
12-05-2010, 01:31
review your previous posts - what has cancer got to do with whether a cable has a grommet?

- which has nothing to do with it - who is 'bewildered' now ?

Your posts don't make sense, and I have better things to do with my time than read something that is not going to help. And if you can't understand why I made that earlier statement then that's your problem.

And you know people , I have had the same problems in life, you're not the only one you know.

calmpitbull
12-05-2010, 19:15
VMboy - I think you have made yourself sound very silly indeed, time to give up I think

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

My Father in Law died of lung cancer, recently - more tragically my best friends niece has just been diagnosed as terminal, the disease has spread to her kidneys & it is only a 'matter of time' - she is 30 years old - please consider how her family & friends currently feel & decide for yourself whether the lack of a cable grommet is suitable for such a comparison when 'proving a point'? :erm:

Couldn't agree more, sorry to hear about your family.

VMboy
12-05-2010, 20:00
VMboy - I think you have made yourself sound very silly indeed, time to give up I think

You are funny I give you that.

:D

calmpitbull
15-05-2010, 17:17
You gave me a negative reputation comment saying 'not credible'.

That does not make any sense whatsoever. I think your grasp of the English language is poor.

Credible obviously means believable. What specifically about my posts is not believable?

1. Grommits problems solved - Believable
2. After problem solved I stated that there are much worse things to worry about - Believable
3. Stated that comparing cancer to lack of Grommits is ridiculous - Believable
4. Saying that you have made yourself sound very silly indeed - Totally believable!

The only thing not believable is your ridiculous cancer argument!

Something to think about, and I would definitely think before posting more ignorant nonsense!

speedfreak
15-05-2010, 17:37

Thats what you get for trying to help....

Grommits should be fitted, however not for any technical reasons but just because it was their policy. Not having a grommit will NOT make it more likely for water to go into the hole.

Grommits were usually fitted just because the in the past it has been policy and has always been the favoured way of finishing off a drilled hole in the cable industry. BT don't use them at all so you don't have anything to worry about.

Using a grommit allows you to drill more carelessly as you know the grommit will hide the exit. If the hole has been carefully drilled it looks better without one. Also if the hole has been drilled with a slightly downward angle from inside to out water cannot go in anyway.

The only thing I would do (if it isn't already done) is put some clear silicone in the hole, wet your finger and smear it around the cable going into the hole. This will give a nice water tight seal.

Personally Id feel quite daft calling someone back to a job just to put silicone in a hole but each to their own i guess

VMboy
16-05-2010, 14:44
Thats what you get for trying to help....
Personally Id feel quite daft calling someone back to a job just to put silicone in a hole but each to their own i guess

Get your facts right, it was more than just putting silicone in a hole, the cable was damaged and needed tape plus silicone to be added, and the engineer said that it needed to be done to stop any future problems.

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

That does not make any sense whatsoever. I think your grasp of the English language is poor.

Credible obviously means believable. What specifically about my posts is not believable?

1. Grommits problems solved - Believable
2. After problem solved I stated that there are much worse things to worry about - Believable
3. Stated that comparing cancer to lack of Grommits is ridiculous - Believable
4. Saying that you have made yourself sound very silly indeed - Totally believable!

The only thing not believable is your ridiculous cancer argument!

Something to think about, and I would definitely think before posting more ignorant nonsense!

Digital Fanatic
16-05-2010, 14:50
Get your facts right, it was more than just putting silicone in a hole, the cable was damaged and needed tape plus silicone to be added, and the engineer said that it needed to be done to stop any future problems.

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

To be fair, VM Boy... at no point in this thread have you said it was damaged, just not aesthetically pleasing. Speadfreak can only go on the facts in the thread

You'll win no friends on here behaving the way you have in this thread... come on, you know you are better than this, VM Boy :nono:

jb66
16-05-2010, 15:13
I never knew it was damaged either, what a plonker

VMboy
16-05-2010, 15:20
To be fair, VM Boy... at no point in this thread have you said it was damaged, just not aesthetically pleasing. Speadfreak can only go on the facts in the thread

You'll win no friends on here behaving the way you have in this thread... come on, you know you are better than this, VM Boy :nono:

Thanks for the disapproval! :erm:

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

I never knew it was damaged either, what a plonker

Neither did I until I looked at it closely, don't think there was any need for that remark though.

Digital Fanatic
16-05-2010, 15:53
Ok, so it's all sorted now then VMBoy?

Did the engineers fit a gromit or add silicone to the hole?

speedfreak
16-05-2010, 17:12

Thanks :) Indeed Id forgot you were the same guy, that thread was amusing. No hard feelings as I actually owe you a favour. This thread has reminded me that there is dust gathering on my modem, maybe the modem is faulty and attracting too much dust. Anyway Im going to ring VM and demand they send a tech round with rubber gloves and a feather duster to rectify my issue, I'll be damned if they expect me to get my hands dirty :D

Digital Fanatic
16-05-2010, 17:15
Thanks :) Indeed Id forgot you were the same guy, that thread was amusing. No hard feelings as I actually owe you a favour. This thread has reminded me that there is dust gathering on my modem, maybe the modem is faulty and attracting too much dust. Anyway Im going to ring VM and demand they send a tech round with rubber gloves and a feather duster to rectify my issue, I'll be damned if they expect me to get my hands dirty :D

hahaha :D

speedfreak
16-05-2010, 17:27
hahaha :D

Dont laugh too much Im putting a request in for you or Masque to come sort it, get you out the office :D

Digital Fanatic
16-05-2010, 17:32
Dont laugh too much Im putting a request in for you or Masque to come sort it, get you out the office :D

D'oh! :doh: