PDA

View Full Version : Magic green box

Del Clark
28-03-2010, 21:07
Hi. Im new here so i'll get straight to it...
Back in december 09 virgin media put leaflets through letterboxes saying work was to commence along the footpaths in our street for broadband cable installation. On the leaflet was 2 contact numbers and if there were any problems to phone etc. After lines and lettering had been marked on the footpath i noticed there was something going to happen where my front wall is. I contacted virgin and stated that due to the council putting permit parking in place in the road that my front garden is going to be block paved and the front wall removed and kerb dropped etc. Cable Work went ahead and pipes were put in and a green metal box about 0.5 metre sq appeared in front of my wall on the pavement. Again i contacted virgin and the council this time. The council say its down to virgin and virgin say its down to the council as the council grant permission for installation to go ahead. Fibre optic cable was then installed and this green box appears to be a connection point of some kind. I still havent got anywhere with virgin who bounce the issue between the senior tech designer and the area tech fella who by now must have me as his most regular caller. Customer services have told me that If i want the box moved it will cost me £4000 and take 12 months to do so even though ive been banging on about it since December before any ground work had been done. All of these green boxes in my area that ive seen have been mounted on the ends of road junctions on the bend and for some reason the pavement in front of my home has inherited one!
The front garden and wall has since been removed and a nice green box now blocks access to my property..... Thanx virgin!
On the other hand though, if i was to get virgin broadband i bet i would get the fastest speed in my street!

A totally ****ed off DC

Scrubbs
28-03-2010, 21:29
why don't you build a wall round it:D no access to the box will soon get them to want to move it:)

Kymmy
28-03-2010, 21:41
why don't you build a wall round it:D no access to the box will soon get them to want to move it:)

How can he do that when it's not on his property??

Nedkelly
28-03-2010, 22:18
Is the box between your property and your neighbours ? .When we built the network here letters were put through the doors of the street for people to object to have the kit outside there house .Off the top of my head i think it is 6 weeks if no one objected within this time the box would be put up .We only had a couple of these here .When planning the network we would sumit the plans to the council who would say yes or no then it would be letter time to those houses then its waiting time .Also you say the kerb is going to be dropped was this application put in before virgin put there plans in ? .In the end it will be up to the council to decide yes it can be moved and you will have to pay or yes it does have to be moved and virgin foot the bill it all depend on the council planning officer :)

nodrogd
28-03-2010, 23:35
You are not the only one with this problem, and it's not only Virgin putting in large pieces of street furniture with little or no warning as you can see from THIS (http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/todays/Box-not-clever-says-Terry.5997036.jp). These DSLAM boxes for BT are 1.8m tall and no warning letters are circulated or planning notices posted before they are installed.