PDA

View Full Version : PS3 advice needed.

Hiroki
19-03-2010, 18:00
My girlfriend wants a blu-ray player and a wdtv player for the bedroom so what I planned on doing was to get a ps3 instead and I have a few questions:-

1 - Is the blu-ray player on the ps3 as good as the stand alone players?

2 - I have a normal hd player and no external speakers so I was wondering does the ps3 downmix the audio out so that it plays out of the two speakers when watching blu-ray (as they must be 7.1 right)?

3 - Erm can they play dvd? (don't shoot me for asking this one I genuinely don't know).

4 - Can you just plug in a hdd and watch your videos from there?

5 - Can the ps3 run xvid avi files (encoded with mp3 sound)?

6 - Are the slims better than the fat ones?

7 - Is the online as good as xbox live?

8 - Are there any similar games to crackdown/prototype?

I've tried to google this just I keep getting different opinions and no confirmed answer so I went into gamestation today and I go a resounding "No" to all of my questions which didn't seem right to me, so im asking you lot as your normally more well informed :D

Thanks

icestar2
19-03-2010, 18:28
My girlfriend wants a blu-ray player and a wdtv player for the bedroom so what I planned on doing was to get a ps3 instead and I have a few questions:-

1 - Is the blu-ray player on the ps3 as good as the stand alone players?

2 - I have a normal hd player and no external speakers so I was wondering does the ps3 downmix the audio out so that it plays out of the two speakers when watching blu-ray (as they must be 7.1 right)?

3 - Erm can they play dvd? (don't shoot me for asking this one I genuinely don't know).

5 - Can the ps3 run xvid avi files (encoded with mp3 sound)?

6 - Are the slims better than the fat ones?

7 - Is the online as good as xbox live?

8 - Are there any similar games to crackdown/prototype?

I've tried to google this just I keep getting different opinions and no confirmed answer so I went into gamestation today and I go a resounding "No" to all of my questions which didn't seem right to me, so im asking you lot as your normally more well informed :D

Thanks

I'll answer what I can but I'm not 100% on all the questions.

1. - In some cases yes, Especially the older model Blu-Ray players. Can always be kept upto date with the firmware updates to.

2. - I dont fully understand the question sorry.

3. - Yes :) and its upscales fairly well to.

4. - I know you can do this with a USB stick but never tried with a HDD. You would be able to copy stuff off onto the PS3 though I think if it didn't.

5. - As far as I'm aware yes. I know it can play xvid Avi files and MP3 audio just not 100% on the exact details. This link might help more http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

6. - More energy efficent but thats about it tbh. More personal prefrence.

7. - I mostly hear no to this question but that does not mean its bad. Its come a far, far way since launch and I think its great. Still lacking a couple features but they can be patched in with firmware updates in the future. Its also free to so thats a good thing.

8. - I can't think of anything like Crackdown off the top of my head but Infamous was very similair to Prototype but imho(having played both) was 10X better. If you do pick up a PS3 I would say its a must buy.

I'm sure Matt or someone will come along and be able to answer all the questions you've posted and correct anything I've got wrong.

speedfreak
19-03-2010, 19:19

Thanks

You can use this, handy for ps3 owners, lets you explore your pc from ps3, stream movies etc. ps3 media server will transcode a downloaded HD movie, which are usually in .mkv format and unplayable on ps3. You can even copy the transcoded movie to your ps3 hard drive. Saw this on another forum and I love it :D
http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

cimt
19-03-2010, 19:26
inFamous is certainly a game you'll like if Crackdown and Prototype were games you liked. When you say HDD, do you mean external? If so then yeah as long as it's formatted to the correct type. I'm always using mine and hardly have any problems. I'd also recommend PS3 Media Server. When I first got my PS3, I didn't really like the online but over the last year it has been improving a lot, and it can't be faulted considering it's free.

Hiroki
19-03-2010, 21:34
2. - I dont fully understand the question sorry.

Erm well I have just a normal hd tv and when i've watched say a mkv through the tv that has 6channel sound (or similar) it sounds awful because of it not being downmixed into 2 channels so basically im asking if blu-rays sound fine if your not using a surround sound speaker system.

Thank you so, so, so much for answering my questions, sounds like the ps3 will be ideal for what I want it for :D

You can use this, handy for ps3 owners, lets you explore your pc from ps3, stream movies etc. ps3 media server will transcode a downloaded HD movie, which are usually in .mkv format and unplayable on ps3. You can even copy the transcoded movie to your ps3 hard drive. Saw this on another forum and I love it :D
http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/
Excellent thank you very much :)

inFamous is certainly a game you'll like if Crackdown and Prototype were games you liked. When you say HDD, do you mean external? If so then yeah as long as it's formatted to the correct type. I'm always using mine and hardly have any problems. I'd also recommend PS3 Media Server. When I first got my PS3, I didn't really like the online but over the last year it has been improving a lot, and it can't be faulted considering it's free.
I'll buy inFamous then :D And yeah I meant external as i've a 1tb one full of xvids I have converted from dvd.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

One more question I can buy a 250gb slim for £215 with one game (selected instore game) from a local computer game chain.....is that a decent price?

icestar2
19-03-2010, 21:38
Erm well I have just a normal hd tv and when i've watched say a mkv through the tv that has 6channel sound (or similar) it sounds awful because of it not being downmixed into 2 channels so basically im asking if blu-rays sound fine if your not using a surround sound speaker system.

Ah ok I understand you. Yes Blu-Ray's sound fine through a standard HDTV. Thats how I currently have mine setup and I've never had a problem tbh.

One more question I can buy a 250gb slim for £215 with one game (selected instore game) from a local computer game chain.....is that a decent price?

Yes thats not a bad price at all. Depends what you want with it really. I'd always surgest you shop around but if your happy with whats on offer then go for it :)

I'll buy inFamous then.

Great choice :tu: I'm sure you wont regret it. It really is a brilliant game imo.

Hiroki
19-03-2010, 21:46
Ah ok I understand you. Yes Blu-Ray's sound fine through a standard HDTV. Thats how I currently have mine setup and I've never had a problem tbh.

Thank you such a relief I was expecting to probably have to fork out for a surround sound system I didn't need.

Yes thats not a bad price at all. Depends what you want with it really. I'd always surgest you shop around but if your happy with whats on offer then go for it :)

Great choice :tu: I'm sure you wont regret it. It really is a brilliant game imo.
Should have mentioned that it's a pre-owned system but the shop says it's still sealed so basically new :D

I was expecting to probably pay more but i'm happy with that price really and I have my eye on a few games especially inFamous as that looks right up my street and I might pick up fifa for the occasional online play :D

Does the ps3 suffer from anything like the red light of death?

dilli-theclaw
19-03-2010, 21:49
Actually it does - the yellow light of death, but I think that was only on the old fat ps3 so you should be ok.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/09/playstation3_and_the_yellow_li.html

cimt
19-03-2010, 21:50
There's the Yellow Light of Death which is no where near as common as the RROD is.

icestar2
19-03-2010, 21:51
Does the ps3 suffer from anything like the red light of death?

There is whats now been dubbed the YLOD(Yellow Light Of Death) It is nowere near the scale of the 360 RROD problems and seems to effect the 60GB's the most from what I've been reading. You should be much safer with a Slim though as they've had much mor time to prefect the tech :)

Looks like I was beat to it by the post's above^^
Should have mentioned that it's a pre-owned system but the shop says it's still sealed so basically new :D

Do you think they are telling the truth ? If they are then its defo a deal worth going for :)

Hiroki
19-03-2010, 21:52
Nice thanks to everyone

Be off to buy one in the morning now :D

dilli-theclaw
19-03-2010, 21:53
I just wish I could install linux on my slim.

speedfreak
19-03-2010, 21:56
I just wish I could install linux on my slim.

I wouldnt normally take a thread off topic but Hiroki seems to be sorted now :) so a quick question as you mentioned it. What other things can you do with linux installed?

icestar2
19-03-2010, 21:57
Actually it does - the yellow light of death, but I think that was only on the old fat ps3 so you should be ok.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/09/playstation3_and_the_yellow_li.html

True but its well known how badly that watchdog investigation was. It lacked any perspective at all and was wildly unaccurate. Even slightly underhanded if one of the guys who was featured on it was telling the truth in his blog.

dilli-theclaw
19-03-2010, 21:58
I wouldnt normally take a thread off topic but Hiroki seems to be sorted now :) so a quick question as you mentioned it. What other things can you do with linux installed?Have a look on the wiki here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_on_the_PlayStation_3

As I don't have a fat ps3 I've not been able to do it.

Hiroki
19-03-2010, 22:06
Hmm so you could potentially run emulators and things on the ps3 linux?

Just googled the ps3 linux and certain forums are stating that sony is removing that feature anyway

dilli-theclaw
19-03-2010, 22:08

Just googled the ps3 linux and certain forums are stating that sony is removing that feature anywayI was under the impression that it will not be available for the slim ps3 but continue to be for the fat one.

Still - I run kubuntu on my laptop so I play with linux on that. I just wanted it on my ps3 so I could run it through the tv.

Hiroki
19-03-2010, 22:10
Shame it's not on the slim i'd have liked to mess around with it.

Graham M
19-03-2010, 22:17
I've tried it and it's OK but not fantastic as the PS3 doesn't have lots and lots of RAM (256mb iirc)

Hiroki
20-03-2010, 22:56
Woot I went in and ordered my ps3 today and paid the £10 deposit, I pick it up on Monday :D

Thanks to everyone for all the help

dilli-theclaw
30-03-2010, 00:37

Just googled the ps3 linux and certain forums are stating that sony is removing that feature anywayLooks like you were right.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a211327/sony-to-drop-linux-support-on-ps3.html

That sucks :(

roger skillin
30-03-2010, 13:12
Yes in the next update they are removing it, they say it's an optional update but that if you don't update then you wont be able to get online so that pretty much means you do need to update, i have the first 60gb machine and have had no need to install a separate OS, i have a pc for that, i have also not had any problems with any yellow light of death, it's just to do with overheating so as long as you keep it cool or simply don't play it for 12 hours straight then it should be fine

Graham M
30-03-2010, 13:16
Reason being is that someone has managed to hack into the full system basically from Linux that MIGHT have allowed such things as playing pirated games, etc. Sony of course had to jump on this early and make sure it wouldn't be possible.

roger skillin
30-03-2010, 13:44
Reason being is that someone has managed to hack into the full system basically from Linux that MIGHT have allowed such things as playing pirated games, etc. Sony of course had to jump on this early and make sure it wouldn't be possible.

Not too worry, he's already working on a hacked firmware update to keep the other OS option, so for those of you with a Fat ps3 that want Linux you'll be ok, those with a slim ps3 who never had the option will wonder what all the fuss is about

icestar2
30-03-2010, 14:32
Yes in the next update they are removing it, they say it's an optional update but that if you don't update then you wont be able to get online so that pretty much means you do need to update, i have the first 60gb machine and have had no need to install a separate OS, i have a pc for that, i have also not had any problems with any yellow light of death, it's just to do with overheating so as long as you keep it cool or simply don't play it for 12 hours straight then it should be fine

Pretty much the same for me. Never used the OtherOS option so am not really bothered with losing it. The YYOD thing is not 100% true though. My FAT died within 1 hour of playing dead space. Its mostly to do with bad soldering joints on the 60GB I beleive. Like most things some of us will be unlucky enough to fall victim to it. Unfortunatly I was one of them.

Have a Slim now but still plan on getting my 60GB fixed eventually but whether I'll keep it or sell it on is something I have not decided on yet.

roger skillin
30-03-2010, 16:15
Have a Slim now but still plan of getting my 60GB fixed eventually but whether I'll keep it or sell it on is something I have not decided on yet.

Well if you're like me and have quite a few ps2 games then i'd definately get it fixed,why they took that feature away with the 40gb and then the slims i will never understand

icestar2
30-03-2010, 16:28
Well if you're like me and have quite a few ps2 games then i'd definately get it fixed,why they took that feature away with the 40gb and then the slims i will never understand

It was to bring the cost of manufacturing down. They were already taking a fairly big loss on every console sold. They were still taking a loss even with the emotion chip removed but it was slightly less of a loss if that makes sense.

The fact the PS2 was still doing so well probably helped with the desicion to.

Hiroki
30-03-2010, 16:32
How can they get away with this?
Didn't they used to advertise the adding of extra operating systems as a feature of the ps3?

icestar2
30-03-2010, 16:41
How can they get away with this?
Didn't they used to advertise the adding of extra operating systems as a feature of the ps3?

Tbh its not used by alot of people with most not even knowing of or understanding how to use it. I think it was a bit of a marketing gimick to tbh.

The reason for removing it is like said already in this thread for security reasons. The PS3 has been the console that was secure from pirates. They want to keep it this way. Just as they are starting to really get a grip on the market the last thing they need is a percentage of their customers pirating their games instead of buying them.

You only have to look at the PSP to see why they don't want the PS3 to go down that road. I think its a perfectly understandable move to take and can see why they are taking it. There will be alot of moaning by people who didnt even use the feature just for the sake of it but it will eventually die down as things like this always do. I do feel a little sorry for the ones that genuinely did use it though.

BTW Hiroki are you enjoying your PS3 ? Does it get much use ? Did you purchase infamous, Thought's ? That was what this thread was about lol.

Hiroki
30-03-2010, 17:03
I'll be honest I haven't played it yet been too busy - but my missus has been playing it none stop. She has it online and has been playing all sorts of games with her mates and is currently spending time playing through FFXIII so it's been worth the money.

I plan to format some HDD's for videos and have a play around with infamous over the weekend :D

I eneded up saving a fair bit as I used my nectar card points at Sainsbury's and only paid £160 for a 120gb plus Fifa10 & Uncharted 2 :D

roger skillin
30-03-2010, 17:08
It was to bring the cost of manufacturing down. They were already taking a fairly big loss on every console sold. They were still taking a loss even with the emotion chip removed but it was slightly less of a loss if that makes sense.

The fact the PS2 was still doing so well probably helped with the desicion to.

Oh i know the official reason, what i mean is that because the ps2 was still so popular it would have made sense to keep the compatability to make more people buy the ps3 and therefore bring costs down with volume

speedfreak
30-03-2010, 17:10
She has it online and has been playing all sorts of games with her mates and is currently spending time playing through FFXIII so it's been worth the money.

Thats the sort of missus you want, congrats/good choice :D I hear all sorts of moaning and groaning from the corner of the room when I pick my controller up to go on it

I hope they do keep it locked away from pirates. Games are expensive enough without them being bumped up in price due to pirate copies of games

Hiroki
30-03-2010, 20:20
Thats the sort of missus you want, congrats/good choice :D I hear all sorts of moaning and groaning from the corner of the room when I pick my controller up to go on it

Haha she plays them more than me and loves them :D

Fitze73
22-04-2010, 10:28
@ hiroki did you get your ps3 in the end ..... tell you another good open world game just cause 2

Hiroki
22-04-2010, 19:08
@ hiroki did you get your ps3 in the end ..... tell you another good open world game just cause 2
Yeah I got it in March and I LOVE it!!!

Thanks for the tip on the game I have just looked at it on Youtube and it looks like something I will enjoy :)

Fitze73
22-04-2010, 19:20
yeah it's sound m8... i love my ps3 whats yr psn mine is jethrotull1973