PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting Connection/installment VM

dizm
16-03-2010, 18:47
Little paragraph here, just to say, *hello!* been reading various threads on here already, everyone seems great! so here i am, all registered!

the install

it didn't take VM long atall to get round to my house and they actually came within the times agree'd which is always nice!

unfortunately.. i was at work while VM-workerguy, was working away, installing my connection. during this time, i was day dreaming about my bedroom setup!

eventually i get home to investigate the work and obviously test the connection!

according to the girlfriend the VM-workerguy was very rude, sighed about having to do manual labour (drilling the necessary holes), questioned why i wanted the modem, where i wanted it, could he not leave it and put the modem in the other room.

apparantly the girlfriend had to be very persistant that she wanted in that room, before he eventually gave up, walked out of the house, only to come in 10minutes later. without telling the girlfriend where he was going and when he will be back.

left the splitter box dangling down, looking a mess, left me an extention signal cable(which was nice), but without the required adapter for me to even use it(which is pointless).

the connection

the connection is a 20mb line, which was great for the first 2days... for the last 3days, at 3:30pm(ish) my connection turns into a 1mb line and makes it IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY ONLINE GAMES.

you would think i've been using P2P apps and completely draining bandwidth in the times between 4pm-9pm, wouldn't you? ...well i haven't!!!!

phoning Virgin Media

phoning VM is a nightmare and the nightmare soon ends up being an indian nightmare *fullstop*

conclusion

due to the fact that its took just over 7days (the amount of days VM give you to cancel your contract) for me to experience this shocking connection AND the fact i've only gone with Virgin Media to play online games during the evenings...

what a pile of £%^&

p.s. i really hope someone would help me, because it's like i'm being ripped off and no-one's willing to help.

thanks, daniel.

Ben B
16-03-2010, 18:54
Hi Daniel and :welcome: to the forum,

Your experience is certainly appalling, if your connections are still as unsafe as you found them I'd suggest calling them and getting them to send someone to sort it out for free. RE: Your slow connection, maybe we can get to the bottom of your issues here. Navigate to http://192.168.100.1 and log in with the username and password both as root. From there, copy and paste both your downstream and upstream pages here so that we can see if there are any issues with your power levels.

Ben :)

Raistlin
16-03-2010, 18:57
Moved to 'Installation Issues'.

Spectato
16-03-2010, 19:09
.... for the last 3days, at 3:30pm(ish) my connection turns into a 1mb line and makes it IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY ONLINE GAMES.
You could be falling foul of the traffic management restrictions?

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Raistlin
16-03-2010, 19:20

Possibly..... Except:
you would think i've been using P2P apps and completely draining bandwidth in the times between 4pm-9pm, wouldn't you? ...well i haven't!!!!

Ben B
16-03-2010, 19:22

This would suggest otherwise...

EDIT: Rob beat me lol

dizm
16-03-2010, 19:28
Hi Daniel and :welcome: to the forum,

Your experience is certainly appalling, if your connections are still as unsafe as you found them I'd suggest calling them and getting them to send someone to sort it out for free.

RE: Your slow connection, maybe we can get to the bottom of your issues here. Navigate to http://192.168.100.1 and log in with the username and password both as root. From there, copy and paste both your downstream and upstream pages here so that we can see if there are any issues with your power levels.

hello ben! thanks for reading, and replies... i have phoned VM three times and they are redirecting me around untill eventually i end up talking to someone who clearly doesnt understand what i am saying and tires to give me router/network adapter settings

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -8.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 35.5 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Lord Nikon
16-03-2010, 19:31
The other contraindicatory point for traffic management is a 75% reduction in speed on a 20mbit line would be 5mbit and not 1. That would be a 95% reduction

Spectato
16-03-2010, 19:32
This would suggest otherwise...

The management quota between 16:00 and 21:00 wouldn't affect you at 15:00, but there is also 'Daytime Management' between 10:00 and 15:00.

I'm not insisting that it is the problem, just trying to help eliminate the obvious.

dizm
16-03-2010, 19:38
The other contraindicatory point for traffic management is a 75% reduction in speed on a 20mbit line would be 5mbit and not 1. That would be a 95% reduction

true...
during 6-7pm, i have witnessed it around the 1mbit/0.04-6 :(

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

The management quota between 16:00 and 21:00 wouldn't affect you at 15:00, but there is also 'Daytime Management' between 10:00 and 15:00.

I'm not insisting that it is the problem, just trying to help eliminate the obvious.

if that was the problem. wouldn't it over and done with, after 5hours?[COLOR="Silver"]

Ben B
16-03-2010, 19:38
hello ben! thanks for reading, and replies... i have phoned VM three times and they are redirecting me around untill eventually i end up talking to someone who clearly doesnt understand what i am saying and tires to give me router/network adapter settings

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -8.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 35.5 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2
I am not sure of the power level specifications on the 256QAM modulation, but either way I think -8.8dBmV is a little on the low side, the technician that sorted mine out had to turn mine up when it kept fluctuating between -8 and -10. If you aren't getting anywhere with the telephone support, might I suggest you contact the newsgroup team, they have been very successful in helping in the past where previously telephone support has failed. The set up guide can be found here (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/) and the group you want on there is virginmedia.support.broadband.cable. Or if you want to try ringing them again, I'd suggest ringing at 0800 in the morning in order to get a UK support representative.

Spectato
16-03-2010, 19:39
if that was the problem. wouldn't it over and done with, after 5hours?
Yep.
Should be.

dizm
16-03-2010, 19:42
thanks for your time, ben. i will do that and reply to this message to update my progress!

pabscars
16-03-2010, 19:52
Isn't the SNR borderline also, I thought anything below 35 could be construed as an indicator of poor performance.

It might be worth checking to see if all your connections are done up nice and tight, I,m not saying this is defo your problem but its one thing to eliminate.

good luck and hope you get it sorted

dizm
16-03-2010, 20:02
Isn't the SNR borderline also, I thought anything below 35 could be construed as an indicator of poor performance.

It might be worth checking to see if all your connections are done up nice and tight, I,m not saying this is defo your problem but its one thing to eliminate.

good luck and hope you get it sorted

connections do seem nice and tight, although the signal wire coming into the building, using the old ntl box, i can feel it move slightly inside.. maybe i should remove the box and inspect further? :)

Peter_
16-03-2010, 20:05
The SNR is fine and well within parameters but the Downstream is to low at -8.8 and may need a technician so call 151 from a Virgin phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other line.

pabscars
16-03-2010, 20:19
The SNR is fine and well within parameters but the Downstream is to low at -8.8 and may need a technician so call 151 from a Virgin phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other line.

Thanks for clearing that up Mol :)

dizm
16-03-2010, 20:51

phoning VM right now, again... so lets see :D

dizm
19-03-2010, 09:34
UPDATE

finally! a new modem :)...

it took four phone calls to get through to a man called hameed - he was great, seriously best guy, ever!!!

took him 5minutes to realise my signal levels were low (like you guys said ;)) and put an order in for a new modem to be delivered. modem didn't come when he said it would, but who cares.. it came!!!

VM need more workers like hameed :)

0.64 upload - which is alot more like it!!!

thanks for your posts guys... very greatful :)

jb66
21-03-2010, 09:48
A new modem? Sounds like a fob off to me

jan15111981
21-03-2010, 14:27
I also had a few teething problems with virgin media but I am happy to say now that all has been sorted out. The first man who came refused to listen as to where I wanted the services installed (i left mum in charge as i had to go to pick up a mate from hospital) in my bedroom at the back of the property. Guy said it was too big a job for him so ended up with everything being installed in the living room and all the cables being left in an appaling state. I rang virgin and made a complaint to the installations team and they sent out another guy on Friday who did a perfect job and put everything where i wanted it. he even commented on his colleagues shoddy work.

im happy now i've got the services where i want them

dizm
23-03-2010, 19:25
connection is still crap at these times (7pm UK) - really shocking. even more shocking considering the fact that i dont use any bandwidth at all yet im still being penalized