PDA

View Full Version : Sky pushes 3DTV into pubs

Derek
16-03-2010, 14:43
OK I'll try and start a thread without any political dimensions in response to the impassioned plea from a poster earlier.

---

LG have sold 15,000 3D TV's to BSkyB to get put into pubs up and down the country to show their 3D sporting events live.

http://www.newswire.co.kr/newsRead.php?no=462283

Sky plans to install the TVs in public venues across the UK in advance of plans to broadcast weekly Premier League matches in 3D beginning this spring.

If Sky are planning to start this up for the end of April it'll be a rapid installation path and might end up with your local being an advert for 3D TV in an attempt to get consumers to go out and upgrade their existing TV to a shiny new 3D one.

Plus if its in April/May it might be in time to see the election coverage (Dammit, almost a whole post without politics being mentioned) :D

v0id
16-03-2010, 16:29
Who wants to watch a footy match, in a crowded pub, in 3D?
I know a fair few people that will either stop at home, or find a pub without any of this 3D nonsense to watch it.

zing_deleted
16-03-2010, 16:31
I think its a political stance from LG seeing as they are promoting the weaker format hehehehe . Bet sky got a very good price

Derek
16-03-2010, 16:37
Who wants to watch a footy match, in a crowded pub, in 3D?

It seemed to be pretty popular when they had a trial run a few weeks back.

martyh
16-03-2010, 16:41
i don't think many pubs will go for it given the cost of having sky installed in a pub coupled with the pub trades falling profits

it was a couple of grand a month last year in my local so it was taken out as the brewery refused to pay it :( and i can't imagine 3D sky being cheaper ,probably a lot more

and you do all realise it's Gordon Browns/labour parties fault :D

richard1960
16-03-2010, 18:21
i don't think many pubs will go for it given the cost of having sky installed in a pub coupled with the pub trades falling profits

it was a couple of grand a month last year in my local so it was taken out as the brewery refused to pay it :( and i can't imagine 3D sky being cheaper ,probably a lot more

and you do all realise it's Gordon Browns/labour parties fault :D

£2,000 a month :shocked: to have sky in a pub boy would you have to do some trade to recoup that! However if sky subsidise the initial cost to pubs,then they may go for the gimmick value ie not that many home users will have 3D.

But if sky do decide to subsidise it to "get it in" i can see it going out if its hideously expensive afterwards, as you say a lot of pub trade is going down not up. As people stay in with a few cans instead.

martyh
16-03-2010, 19:11
£2,000 a month :shocked: to have sky in a pub boy would you have to do some trade to recoup that! However if sky subsidise the initial cost to pubs,then they may go for the gimmick value ie not that many home users will have 3D.

But if sky do decide to subsidise it to "get it in" i can see it going out if its hideously expensive afterwards, as you say a lot of pub trade is going down not up. As people stay in with a few cans instead.

i was gob smacked aswell when the manager told me ,apparently it's linked to the rateable value of the pub so on average it's about 1800 a month but can rise to upto 20k a month for city center bars ,i was told that Shearers' bar in Newcastle center next to the ground pays about 15k a month

correction that's £2000 a month and £1500 not 20k and 15k ....had a hard day :D