PDA

View Full Version : VM Telephone ... who contacts BT me or VM? Conflicting answers need advice

BEE84
10-03-2010, 18:09
Hi there
Ive been a VM customer for a few years now (BB & TV) and have now decided to go with a telephone line with VM as BT are charging me over £42 for line rental a quarter and change a few of my TV services (V+).

I rang customer services(retentions) a few days ago in regard of chaging some of my tv services and to add a phone line. I got a pretty sweet deal and the rep assured me that VM would cancel my BT line on my behalf and id be sent a final bill from BT once my number had been ported to VM.

With this is mind i told the rep to leave a note on my account and that i would call back in the week with a decision.
I rang today to go for the deal. This time another rep told me i'd have to contact BT and tell them that i was going to be transferring my number to VM and that they don't cancel for me.

So who is right and who is wrong? bearing in mind i would like to keep my original number and just leave BT.

I hope to hear from someone soon, thankyou.

Ben B
10-03-2010, 18:13
VM usually port the number on the day of installation, ring CS and get it confirmed properly. Have you given your BT account number to VM?

BEE84
10-03-2010, 18:21
VM usually port the number on the day of installation, ring CS and get it confirmed properly. Have you given your BT account number to VM?

Thanks for your swift reply.
When i orded the package the rep didnt even ask me for my phone number or BT account number. ;(

I will give them a call tomorrow. i guess i just got a newbie or something.

Digital Fanatic
11-03-2010, 10:51
Hi there
Ive been a VM customer for a few years now (BB & TV) and have now decided to go with a telephone line with VM as BT are charging me over £42 for line rental a quarter and change a few of my TV services (V+).

I rang customer services(retentions) a few days ago in regard of chaging some of my tv services and to add a phone line. I got a pretty sweet deal and the rep assured me that VM would cancel my BT line on my behalf and id be sent a final bill from BT once my number had been ported to VM.

With this is mind i told the rep to leave a note on my account and that i would call back in the week with a decision.
I rang today to go for the deal. This time another rep told me i'd have to contact BT and tell them that i was going to be transferring my number to VM and that they don't cancel for me.

So who is right and who is wrong? bearing in mind i would like to keep my original number and just leave BT.

I hope to hear from someone soon, thankyou.

Hi,

Virgin Media will sort your BT line out.. ** Don't cancel the BT line yourself as you may lose your BT 'phone number ** as Ben says you need to give Customer Care your BT account number and telephone number to port over your BT 'phone number.

BEE84
11-03-2010, 11:12
Hi,

Virgin Media will sort your BT line out.. ** Don't cancel the BT line yourself as you may lose your BT 'phone number ** as Ben says you need to give Customer Care your BT account number and telephone number to port over your BT 'phone number.

Thanks for your reply
I rang them up and explained the situation.
This time they did take my phone number and BT account number and said we will port the number for you and this would usually take about 25 days but you will be left with a temporary number whilst that process takes place, however you would still need to contact BT to give them 30 days notice to "cover your back" if BT come to VM and say we haven't had notice from the customer.

Was this the case in any of your experiences? I would have thought VM would deal with the notification etc.

Digital Fanatic
11-03-2010, 11:41
Thanks for your reply
I rang them up and explained the situation.
This time they did take my phone number and BT account number and said we will port the number for you and this would usually take about 25 days but you will be left with a temporary number whilst that process takes place, however you would still need to contact BT to give them 30 days notice to "cover your back" if BT come to VM and say we haven't had notice from the customer.

Was this the case in any of your experiences? I would have thought VM would deal with the notification etc.

Hi,

VM will sort the BT line, you don't need to speak to BT... if you really want to you can ask them to put a note on your account (BT), but it's not required. BT will send you a "sorry you are leaving us" type letter in due course, once the process starts.

HTH :)

BEE84
11-03-2010, 17:17
Hi,

VM will sort the BT line, you don't need to speak to BT... if you really want to you can ask them to put a note on your account (BT), but it's not required. BT will send you a "sorry you are leaving us" type letter in due course, once the process starts.

HTH :)

You're a star , thanks again for your swift response.

VM called me again to say they will port the number the day the engineer comes to install. Nice touch.

Digital Fanatic
11-03-2010, 17:23
You're a star , thanks again for your swift response.

VM called me again to say they will port the number the day the engineer comes to install. Nice touch.

You're welcome :)

that's good, glad they sorted it for you. :tu:

jungleguy
14-03-2010, 12:53
if you want to keep your number DO NOT cancel BT, you don't even need to contact them. The number port is raised by sales when you order phone line, or up to 7 working days before phone goes active.