PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media installed - but I didn't order it!

Scampi
10-03-2010, 12:41
Hello All,

I've just got home to find that Virgin Media have drilled through my garden wall, dug up my front lawn and installed a cable in a green tube. The house (and wall) is Grade 2 listed. I didn't order Virgin Media, they have obviously got the wrong address and didn't think to check before they started drilling and digging. My husband has called customer services and they've said they need to find out what happened before they can go any further. After reading this forum I don't hold out much hope that this will be resolved quickly. Has anyone heard of similar problems and the results?

Any help and advice much appreciated!

Scampi

cimt
10-03-2010, 12:52
Is there any chance that they're using your garden to put the cables into a neighbours house?

Scampi
10-03-2010, 12:59
No, its a detached house, not near the neighbours and they've run the cable right up to the front of the house. They left a brown box behind which I imagine is what they use to cover the hole where they take it into the house - thankfully they didn't get that far!

Scampi

fireman328
10-03-2010, 13:13
Whoops !

dd11
10-03-2010, 13:15
Oh dear, that must be embarrising for VM.

Kymmy
10-03-2010, 13:16
Firstly get out the camera and take a load of pictures..

As well as the phone call I'd send a recorded letter off to them including photo's/deltails with a copy sent to your solicitor.. At least then you're covered as to what's caused to problem (otherwise they might just come back, remove everything and not repair the damage and you'll have no proof that it's caused by them)

Spectato
10-03-2010, 13:24
They did this while the house was empty (no one home)?
Just turned up and started installing?

Chris
10-03-2010, 13:25
I would also report this immediately to the planning department of your local council, as this work will obviously have been done without Listed Buildings Consent. If/when it hits the fan, you need to be able to remind them that you didn't cause this mess, and you notified them of it as soon as you became aware of it.

The council may insist on everything being reinstated to a particular standard; if so you may have to be prepared to pursue VM through the courts to get them to pay for it.

Graham M
10-03-2010, 14:02
They did this while the house was empty (no one home)?
Just turned up and started installing?

That's not at all unusual, quite often the team who pulls the cables will turn up without any notification

Ben B
10-03-2010, 14:12
Well since you have the cabling demand free services for their BIG error!

Spectato
10-03-2010, 14:20
That's not at all unusual, quite often the team who pulls the cables will turn up without any notification
Not the first or last time that this will happen then.

joglynne
10-03-2010, 14:30
As far as I can see from past threads on this forum, VM are far more likely to fail to turn up when they should than turn up and do the work when they shouldn't. :)

dudload
10-03-2010, 17:51
man, ive got the opposite problem. the just wont install even though its pretty simple!

NoKnowledge
10-03-2010, 18:09
I want to know how you know it's VM as nobody was in to see who it was.

Chris
10-03-2010, 18:10
Nobody else installs cable TV :confused:

NoKnowledge
10-03-2010, 18:13
She just says dug up my front lawn and installed a cable in a green tube nothing else, hence I think nothing else happened

Chris
10-03-2010, 18:14
... what?

NoKnowledge
10-03-2010, 18:20
... what? Edited post, is it clear?

Chris
10-03-2010, 18:27
Got it. :)

But I still don't see why you think it might be someone else. Who else would it be? The fact they didn't complete an installation inside the house doesn't show it wasn't VM. It's not uncommon for a separate external cabling team to turn up and do all that work, and just leave it for the install tech to finish later.

NoKnowledge
10-03-2010, 18:30
I hope Scampi comes back with the findings of VM

Scampi
10-03-2010, 19:16
Hello

Thankyou everyone for your responses. I've done photos and written them a letter. Next step is to write to the planning department at the council (thankyou Chris).

NoKnowledge- We knew it was Virgin Media because the brown box that was left next to the cable had the Virgin Media logo on it. Then later in the afternoon an engineer from Virgin knocked on the door asking if we were expecting him, husband said “no you've installed it at the wrong house” Virgin guy says “you're kidding me” husband (a little annoyed) says “you got the wrong address” Virgin guy says “now don't get rude with me” and then walked off.

Still waiting for VM to call back! I'll let you know as soon as I know anything.

NoKnowledge
10-03-2010, 19:26
Yeap, good ol' Chris T explained it, I didn't know they had one team for one day and another team another day.

For me and everyone else I know, was done on the same day.

Digital Fanatic
11-03-2010, 11:01
Yeap, good ol' Chris T explained it, I didn't know they had one team for one day and another team another day.

For me and everyone else I know, was done on the same day.

Yeah the pre-install team will go out and check to make sure the install can go ahead and pull through cables if needed to ensure a quick installation.

To the OP... I wonder if someone has signed up with the incorrect details online or something? Have you had any letters from VM addressed to someone else?

I'm sure (and hope) VM will do the right thing and put back everything as it was for you.

Let us know how you get on.

jungleguy
14-03-2010, 11:39
I don't like contradicting another poster but I wouldn't contact the council yet!!! VM can install (with the homeowners consent) in a Grade 2 listed, But there must be no external wires, all cable must go through the rear of the grey/brown omni box. The council will be a pain in the bum, but a good card to play to threaten installs manager with.

have you received any post from VM to your address confirming an order, but with a different name. If you have this will have a VM account number, that you'll need to quote. Your problem will be when you ring up, CS services will want to speak to the account holder!!!

It sounds like the pulling crew have gone to the wrong address, or the order has been mis-loaded onto the wrong address.

Stuart
14-03-2010, 13:16
I don't like contradicting another poster but I wouldn't contact the council yet!!! VM can install (with the homeowners consent) in a Grade 2 listed, But there must be no external wires, all cable must go through the rear of the grey/brown omni box. The council will be a pain in the bum, but a good card to play to threaten installs manager with.

However, in this case consent was neither obtained nor given.

jb66
21-03-2010, 09:54
If the person who signs up gives the wrong address who is responsable for the damage/install?