PDA

View Full Version : Sky SD picture quality on Sky HD box.

SAGARIS
26-02-2010, 10:38
Having just had Sky HD installed I have noticed that while the HD channels are very good the SD channels are poorer quality than my old SKY+ box.Has any one else noticed this and is there anything that can be done setting or connection wise? Iam very disappointed.

Many Thnks

sniper007
26-02-2010, 11:17
I find SD noticeably better on Virgin than Sky. Not to say Sky is unwatchable, but I think the V+ boxes do a good upscale. I didn't think you should see a difference between Sky+ and HD box with regard to SD channels. I would get the engineer back out to check it.

MikeyB
26-02-2010, 12:30
I didn't think you should see a difference between Sky+ and HD box with regard to SD channels.

It's quite possible you will see a difference with the SD channels between Sky+ and Sky HD.

With a Sky+ box it is your TV that will do the upscaling, but with the Sky HD box connected using HDMI the Sky HD box now does the upscaling.

If your TV is better at upscaling than the Sky HD box then there could be a noticeable difference.

I went from Sky+ to Freesat HD, but notice no difference in the HD channels from normal viewing distance, not that I studied it close up.

Ignitionnet
26-02-2010, 12:35
Odd, Sky SD is pretty good on my Sky HD box here.

Bluffdemon
26-02-2010, 18:04
i have no problem either with the SD stuff on sky with my hd box on my t.v looks sweet to me

NoKnowledge
26-02-2010, 19:39
Having just had Sky HD installed I have noticed that while the HD channels are very good the SD channels are poorer quality than my old SKY+ box.Has any one else noticed this and is there anything that can be done setting or connection wise? Iam very disappointed.

Many Thnks Do you have a LCD or Plasma? I hardly hear many people complain about the SD quality on plasma and when I do it's usually a software problem either on Sky's part or the television.

pmhtuk
28-02-2010, 20:59
I don't really experience any major problem with SD on the HD+ box, but I sometimes find the EPG sluggish.

SAGARIS
01-03-2010, 08:39
Thank you for your replies.Having done some research on other sites,it would appear that it is a known problem, to do with the fact that the Sky+ box apparently allows your television to upscale the picture while the Sky HD box upscales the picture itself.A top end television set is better at upscaling than the SkyHD box hence the difference in Sd picture quality between the two boxes.

Tezcatlipoca
01-03-2010, 20:59
You can set the Sky+HD box to only output the HD channels in HD, leaving the TV to upscale any SD content.

SAGARIS
02-03-2010, 09:19
You can set the Sky+HD box to only output the HD channels in HD, leaving the TV to upscale any SD content.

Could you tell me how you would do this? Many Thanks.

Tezcatlipoca
03-03-2010, 19:08
It's in the picture settings somewhere.

Sky+HD box set to 1080i: HD channels are output at 1080i, plus SD channels are upscaled to 1080i.

Sky+HD box set to Automatic: HD channels are output at 1080i, plus SD channels are left alone & output at 576i (PAL).

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyhelpcentre/producthelp?nodeId=04fdb540-4b92-4382-acba-1ea552e82e68&articleId=2344410