PDA

View Full Version : Fibre optic but no TV?

Buz
22-02-2010, 20:07
Hi there,
I am moving to London and new to cable, I am in the Maida Vale W9 area.
I have been told by VM sales that I can have fibre optic broadband XXL but no TV or phone.
1.Does this sound normal.
2.How will they run the cable to my house (mid-terraced)

Many thanks,

Buz

Ignitionnet
22-02-2010, 20:56
1) No, not at all.
2) Should be a cable run outside the place.

pip08456
22-02-2010, 21:04
No, it doesn't sound right. Fibre Optic is only to the street cabimet, from there it is co-axial cable to your house which also carries the TV signal.

If you are in a cable area there will be ducting under the street for the cable to be pulled through.

I'd double check as if you can get one service you should be able to get all three.

Scrubbs
22-02-2010, 21:29
what if it was ASDL broadband he had been offered?
Not that I know,I'm only guessing?:)

pip08456
22-02-2010, 21:33
what if it was ASDL broadband he had been offered?
Not that I know,I'm only guessing?:)

Then he would not have said "I have been told by VM sales that I can have fibre optic broadband XXL"

jtaylor06
22-02-2010, 21:45
Sounds peculiar.
If you are able to get broadband, then surely TV and especially phone.

Did you speak to someone from off-shore?

Ben B
22-02-2010, 21:55
Have you tried putting your postcode into the Virgin Media website?

Kymmy
23-02-2010, 10:24
Moved to Installation forum

Peter_
23-02-2010, 10:29
We still have some areas that when we enter an account it states that Digital is not available in that area, maybe one of the TV guys can confirm if this is so for the Maida Vale W9 area.

Buz
23-02-2010, 15:29
Thanks for all you replies.
Yes, it was someone from offshore
When I put the postcode in this is the reply;

Postcode check results
You may be able to get some cable services
It looks like you're in an 'analogue' area which means that you can get some of our great services, like fibre optic broadband, TV and home phone.

m419
23-02-2010, 16:01
Hi there,
I am moving to London and new to cable, I am in the Maida Vale W9 area.
I have been told by VM sales that I can have fibre optic broadband XXL but no TV or phone.
1.Does this sound normal.
2.How will they run the cable to my house (mid-terraced)

Many thanks,

Buz

Hi there this is the westminster area and is a ex-BT cable area.

Broadband and Analogue TV only,the telephone service is not available there.

The socket for Analogue TV,FM Radio and Broadband is usually located near the BT Telephone socket and will normally see, CATV and F.M. Most properties were pre-wired between 1975 and the 1990's, orginally it was for general TV reception for the area as Dishes and Aerials are not allowed from street view, In 1983 BT took over full control of it and was renamed Westminster Cable TV, it became a commercially run service however you was allowed to insert your TV directly into the socket still and recieve normal free to view channels. In 2000 Westminster Cable TV became NTL City and Westminster and was leased by NTL, NTL rolled out the full Analogue Cable TV service and in 2003 it began rolling out Broadband, it hasn't developed any further. Virgin Media will eventually upgrade the area once agreements and negotiations are complete with BT,Westminster City Council and local residents.

NTL's telephone service was available in this area, orginally rolled out by Videotron in 1994, it was made no longer available to new residential customers from January 2000 as that was the agreement which BT had given NTL to abide by when NTL began leasing the Cable network in this area.

The direct customer service line for the area is 0800-952-0345.

calmpitbull
23-02-2010, 20:34
That sounds like a nightmare. I guess BT hold all the cards there!

m419
23-02-2010, 20:52
Partially however, it will probably cost between £3 and £10 Million to upgrade Westminster and Milton Keynes.

Also, this will be one of the last areas for BT to upgrade its own network infrastructure for offering BT Infinity, its all down to local conservation rules as well.

However, in this part of Westminster, Broadband is available upon request through sales or by calling 0800-952-0345 and selecting option 5.

Virgin Analogue cable TV is available for now and costs £4 per month, usually, Virgin Media drop the £5 non-direct debit admin fee if you don't want to pay by direct debit, the following TV channels are available:

BBC1,BBC2,BBC Parliament,BBC News 24,ITV1,ITV2,Channel4,E4,4Music,Film4,Five,Viva,Br avo,Living,History Channel,National Geogrpahic,Cartoon Network,Eurosport,Movies24,TelevisionX,Adult Channel.

You maybe able to get Sky1 and Sky news in this area too.