PDA

View Full Version : a question about installing a second virgin media set top box

techno-mole
08-02-2010, 12:37
hello.

I have a question about installing a second set top box for my virgin media tv service, my daughter has expressed an interest in having a box in her room so she can watch various programs etc.

We have a tv and broadband package with virgin, and after an e-mail to them it seems we can have an extra box at a cost of 10 pounds per month for rental I guess with a 35 quid installation fee.

My question is what does the installation involve ? I installed the tv service myself a couple of years ago, and it was just a matter of running some cable from the box on the wall to where we have the tv, I'm assuming that installing a second box isnt all that different ?

Would it be a case of running some cable from the box on the wall to the room in question ? again I assume some kind of splitter would be needed to split the tv feed into 2 ?
The reason Im asking is that if I can install it myself virgin will just send out the extra box and I wont get charged the 35 quid installation fee, just the extra monthly rental fee which my daughter says she will pay, she works so the 10 quid a month wont be a problem)

I would be grateful for any advice, its all above board etc, Im not asking for any help with something dodgy, just want to know if I can get away with installing it myself and not paying the 35 quid fee.

Cheers

Digital Fanatic
08-02-2010, 12:43
hello.

I have a question about installing a second set top box for my virgin media tv service, my daughter has expressed an interest in having a box in her room so she can watch various programs etc.

We have a tv and broadband package with virgin, and after an e-mail to them it seems we can have an extra box at a cost of 10 pounds per month for rental I guess with a 35 quid installation fee.

My question is what does the installation involve ? I installed the tv service myself a couple of years ago, and it was just a matter of running some cable from the box on the wall to where we have the tv, I'm assuming that installing a second box isnt all that different ?

Would it be a case of running some cable from the box on the wall to the room in question ? again I assume some kind of splitter would be needed to split the tv feed into 2 ?
The reason Im asking is that if I can install it myself virgin will just send out the extra box and I wont get charged the 35 quid installation fee, just the extra monthly rental fee which my daughter says she will pay, she works so the 10 quid a month wont be a problem)

I would be grateful for any advice, its all above board etc, Im not asking for any help with something dodgy, just want to know if I can get away with installing it myself and not paying the 35 quid fee.

Cheers

Hi,

You can't install a 2nd box yourself, you will need a manned install. TBH £35 is a bargain for an install and you wouldn't save too much doing it yourself really.

HTH

Matth
08-02-2010, 23:37
If you also want to upgrade TV service, then it may be better to upgrade to V+, as you keep the original box at £5 per month.
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existing-customer/vplus-offer.html
It's £75 install, but you get the recording and HD capabilies (on the V+ box).