PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled installation

DrGonzo444
25-01-2010, 13:47
I recently moved into a new rental flat at the beginning of January. After seeing the Simplify Digital Virgin media cashback offer I decided to take up that deal. Everything seemed fine, I was given an installation date by text message 2 days ahead of time, and I even rang them to confirm they had the correct address details and stuff.

On the day the installation team never turned up, so i rang the customer services who informed me the installation had been cancelled without telling me. After being passed around several phone depts i found the reason for this cancellation was due to a previous tennent of my flat had a debt of £25 which for some reason has now been linked to my name. Virgin wouldn't go ahead with installation until this had been sorted out. I told them when i rang to open the account I was a new tennent and gave them details of my previous address! It doesn't seem right that they can just attach someone else's debt to my name. Managed to find a complaints form on the Virgin media website, but not sure that'll do much good (anyone have any experience of complaining to virgin?). That was yesterday, today I got into work and checked my internet bank to find that they have also charged me for an installation that never even took place.

Don't really know what to do now. Can they simply pass someone else's debt onto me, and is it my responsibility too prove that i didn't live there at the time? Also I now don't know whether I'm likely to still recieve the £130 cashback from Simplify Digital that i was supposed to get as virgin has cancelled the install. Not sure what the best thing to do next is - any help would be much appreciated

Kymmy
25-01-2010, 14:03
The debt isn't attached to your name, but instead they need to confirm that you are not the previous tennant using a new name ;) Give them a call and ask them how do you sort this out, what proof they'll accept (like ID and tenancy agreement)

I know it's not your fault but it's also not thiers ;)

jungleguy
25-01-2010, 18:32
VM will only link you to a debt if there is a financial association with that debt. It will be very easy to disassociate yourself from the debt, if what you say is true, all you'll need is some ID and proof of residency dated recently from the previous address you declared during the credit check.

There also maybe an issue with your credit file, you need to contact Equifax or Experian.
http://www.experian.co.uk/contactforms/consumer_onlinedisassociation.html