PDA

View Full Version : UK Timeline Rock & Chips

punky
25-01-2010, 09:47
Anyone seen this yet? I thought it was excellent.

Its the Only Fools And Horses prequel. Not quite a comedy (more drama) but still very enjoyable. I thought it was going to be a series but looks like its only a one-off. I do hope they commission a full series.

One thing though, the documented cast included people like the Driscolls and Monkey Harris. I don't remember seeing them does anyone else?

Maggy
25-01-2010, 09:54
The Driscolls were the local Mafia in the Only Fools era...

I thought it was good and of course it brought back memories of 60's London..

My only cavil was the discussion about the Raising of the School Leaving Age to 16.That didn't happen until the mid seventies.I know this because I was still a young new teacher when it happened.It was referred to as ROSLA.

However the sentiments of the PE teacher about ROSLA were spot on..;)

punky
25-01-2010, 10:40
The Driscolls were the local Mafia in the Only Fools era...

I thought it was good and of course it brought back memories of 60's London..

My only cavil was the discussion about the Raising of the School Leaving Age to 16.That didn't happen until the mid seventies.I know this because I was still a young new teacher when it happened.It was referred to as ROSLA.

However the sentiments of the PE teacher about ROSLA were spot on..;)

Sorry, I meant I know who they were in Only Fools And Horses (i'm a massive fan) but I don't remember seeing them in Rock & Chips. They were specifically cast though as the actors that played them were named.

I'm wondering if they were on the coach during the beano or wether there are more episodes to come?

Maggy
25-01-2010, 10:50
Sorry, I meant I know who they were in Only Fools And Horses (i'm a massive fan) but I don't remember seeing them in Rock & Chips. They were specifically cast though as the actors that played them were named.

I'm wondering if they were on the coach during the beano or wether there are more episodes to come?

I think they were on the coach.:)

Mick Fisher
25-01-2010, 16:33
I enjoyed it. :)

I also thought the depiction of 60's London was just about spot on.

I would also like to see a series.

Shadow Demon UK
25-01-2010, 20:57
Anyone seen this yet? I thought it was excellent.

Its the Only Fools And Horses prequel. Not quite a comedy (more drama) but still very enjoyable. I thought it was going to be a series but looks like its only a one-off. I do hope they commission a full series.

One thing though, the documented cast included people like the Driscolls and Monkey Harris. I don't remember seeing them does anyone else?

I thought this was really good as well. I saw your post before i watched it and looked out for the Driscolls and Monkey Harris and didn't see them, even on the bus scene there didn't seem to be any sign of extra charachters that were seen enough to get their names in the credits. From what i've read it was just a one-off and there won't be a series, which is a shame.

Hiroki
25-01-2010, 21:17
I liked the young Del Boy’s mannerisms, the way you figure out where he got his French phrases from and the whole Freddie "The Frog" thing.

The only downside for me was that it was a bit too pc (for the time it was meant to be set in), the continuity was a bit off at times, Nicholas Lyndhurst was a bit too old to be Freddie and his portrayal of him came across a bit too much like the evil Gary from “Goodnight Sweetheart”.

This was the first thing of the BBC's I have watched in ages and although I thought it was good it did however come across as more of an episode of Heartbeat at times but it was worth watching and I don’t think there is any need for a series.

Damien
25-01-2010, 22:41
Is it better than the stuff they were coming up with towards the end of the Only Fools eta? (Especially the last 3 specials,yuck)

Hiroki
25-01-2010, 23:01
Is it better than the stuff they were coming up with towards the end of the Only Fools eta? (Especially the last 3 specials,yuck)
Oh yeah much better :)

alferret
28-01-2010, 21:32
I enjoyed it and was expecting it to be at least a 2-3 parter, hopefully the viewing figures will make it so although I dont think the beeb publicised it enough. I only stumbled upon it by accident although I knew it was going to be on after crimbo.