PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Manager Question

RNC
25-01-2010, 06:32
New to VM, on cable, I’ve just set up wireless. Main PC I used the cd - but just installed Wireless Manager I didn't want the extras. New netbook has no cd drive, so I set it up manually without installing Wireless Manager. Internet fine for both. I want to share files and printer. Do I need Wireless Manager on the netbook? If so could I just install it now I already have internet set up? I need idiot guide on where to go from here! Thanks for any help,

Peter_
25-01-2010, 06:34
No need for the wireless manager on any machine.

-------------------------------

First you need to fully uninstall the software from your computer, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >unistall programs> now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .

First ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router by the antenna and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 15 seconds as this will reset the router.

----------------------------

WGR614 router

You don't need the cd to set up VM routers, nor do you need a temporary cable connection.

1. Connect to wireless network. The network will be called "Virgin Broadband" the passphrase (WPA key) is preinstall.

2. Open a web browser. You will be presented with a setup page. Enter a new network name and password, ignore everything else, click apply. You will be prompted for a username and password - ignore it and close the browser.

3. Connect to the wireless network using you new network name and passphrase.

4. Happy surfing.

It is actually quicker than running the cd.

------------------------------

Or connect an ethernet cable from one of the 1 to 4 Lan ports to your computer and open a web browser.

You will be presented with a setup page.

Enter a SSID and a Passphrase of your own choosing and click apply at the bottom, the webpage will try to close, so click ok.

Now connect to the wireless network using you new SSID and passphrase.
Happy surfing.

RNC
25-01-2010, 07:03
Thanks Moldova. As I have internet working fine on pc & netbook, I'm a bit reluctant to re set up from scratch-I've seen lots of posts where people have problems getting to where I am! Does Wireless Manager help or hinder setting up file and printer sharing? Could I just uninstall it without having to set up internet again?

Peter_
25-01-2010, 07:47
It should work but you have the option as above to remove the wireless manager.

RNC
25-01-2010, 13:30
Is there any advantage in getting Wireless Manager onto the NetBook? or conversely any advantage in getting it off the PC?
Thanks

Peter_
25-01-2010, 14:03
You do not need the Wireless Manager and you would need to use a disk to get it on your netbook.