PDA

View Full Version : Moved into new house but VM say an account is already active?

invmatt
24-01-2010, 21:35
I've just moved in and decided to setup VM, no need for an engineer to come out as the wiring has been done previously so I opted for the user install kit.

After recieving a confimation email they've now decided that this address already has an account but the service is suspended due to non payment (not my problem - let the previous account holders deal with it)

Is there anyway of having the previous owners account closed so mine can be activated? I've tried customer support but they're unhelpful.

graeme2b
24-01-2010, 22:27
where are you based?.. sounds like a gone away process....

Peter_
24-01-2010, 22:36
Call tomorrow after 0800 on 0845 454 1111 and you should get a UK agent and explain the issue to them.

darren.b
24-01-2010, 22:58
Well, as the law stands it is up to NTL:Telewest/VM to prove you owe the debt, not up to you to prove you don't.

Don't let amateurs like NTL:Telewest/VM deprive you of your rights and blacken your reputation because they are too lazy to trace debtors.

:D

invmatt
24-01-2010, 23:54
Call tomorrow after 0800 on 0845 454 1111 and you should get a UK agent and explain the issue to them.

Do you know a local numbers by any chance? I'd rather not ring an 0845 on my mobile.

Ben B
24-01-2010, 23:55
www.saynoto0870.com (http://www.saynoto0870.com)

Digital Fanatic
25-01-2010, 00:23
I've just moved in and decided to setup VM, no need for an engineer to come out as the wiring has been done previously so I opted for the user install kit.

After recieving a confimation email they've now decided that this address already has an account but the service is suspended due to non payment (not my problem - let the previous account holders deal with it)

Is there anyway of having the previous owners account closed so mine can be activated? I've tried customer support but they're unhelpful.

Sounds like they are suspicious for some reason... we do get partners setting up "new" accounts after running up large bills in a different name...

You just need to prove that you are the new tennant/owner and they have moved on... the account has nothing to do with you, so don't worry about that bit.... give Customer Care a call in the morning as Moldova says..hope it gets sorted soon :)

darren.b
25-01-2010, 01:07
You just need to prove that you are the new tennant/owner and they have moved on...

No no no. Innocent until proven guilty. It is up to VM to prove they owe the debt, not up to the new customer to prove they don't.

Typical propaganda from company employees.

Peter_
25-01-2010, 06:31
No no no. Innocent until proven guilty. It is up to VM to prove they owe the debt, not up to the new customer to prove they don't.

You ring up and explain the situation and when asked you provide documentary evidence to prove that you are who you say you are, and you will find all companies work in a similar way.

Not company propaganda at all, as according to the OP the address is blacklisted at present, so if you want services you provide evidence of your identity.

As otherwise any company will refuse services, take a look at the likes of Equifax (http://www.equifax.co.uk/) before spouting the propaganda line.

jungleguy
25-01-2010, 09:47
Hi there
they can't just close down an active account and stick a new applicant on, you application will be delayed until it can be confirmed the old account holder no longer wants the services. (if they cant contact them it'll be closed down)

fill out this form and someone will ring you
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/ctv/your-details.do

Digital Fanatic
25-01-2010, 10:57

propaganda? Excuse me! It's how all companies work. VM aren't trying to get monies from the OP for a debt he/she doesn't owe... they (the OP) wants services at an address where as far as VM are aware still has an active unpaid account.

They (VM) don't have to supply any service, so it's up to the OP to make it clear who they are as it's clear from whats been posted that the last person has done a "runner".

Can the OP please give a bit more details here though?... as you have stated

I've tried customer support but they're unhelpful.

What have you been told?

invmatt
25-01-2010, 11:11
I thought companies couldn't blacklist addresses anymore?

What have you been told?

they said the current addess had an account already open and until it's been closed by the owner they couldn't continue with the new order.

Digital Fanatic
25-01-2010, 11:20

they said the current addess had an account already open and until it's been closed by the owner they couldn't continue with the new order.

The address isn't, no... but there is still an active account at the address.

You are not liable for the debt in any way as you are the new owner/tenant.. Have you spoken to Customer Care again?

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Ok, so possibly not a "runner" just late paying it off perhaps? They obviously can't talk to you about someone elses account due to DPA..

The system wouldn't allow a new account at the address until the old account was closed down... how long have you been at the new address?

invmatt
25-01-2010, 11:50
I've been here just under a month.

After just speaking to customer service even with a new tenants contract he was unwilling to close the old account, I offered to email it as I don't want to have months work of hassle just to get a broadband connection.

Digital Fanatic
25-01-2010, 12:23
I've been here just under a month.

After just speaking to customer service even with a new tenants contract he was unwilling to close the old account, I offered to email it as I don't want to have months work of hassle just to get a broadband connection.

Is the old account holder still getting mail from VM?

Paul
25-01-2010, 12:32

This thread is not the place for your personal soapbox rants. Unless you have something helpful to say to aid the OP, please keep such unhelpful rants to yourself. Thankyou.

BenMcr
25-01-2010, 12:33
The account should be marked as Gone Away (by either Customer Services or Sales) which will allow Sales to start a new order process.

The application will be referred to the Underwriting team who will do a full credit search to make sure the person applying for services has no connection either by financial, credit file or time at address to the other person.

If they dont then the new application will be approved and then Sales can load the order on

invmatt
25-01-2010, 12:43
Ok now I'm confused, I've just recieved an email from Virgin Media Web Team saying my quickstart pack will arrive on Thursday?

Why say one thing over the phone and then send an email saying another.

BenMcr
25-01-2010, 12:48
What you were told from Customer Services was correct. They can only deal with the account that they see. They are not allowed to close an account, nor can they set up a new one.

If you placed an order online, Customer Services will not have seen it if it wasn't loaded on the computer system due to the existing account.

So it is a possibility that the web sales team send it off to underwriting as I said they should, and have now been given the go ahead to load the order on

Digital Fanatic
25-01-2010, 12:53
So it looks like it's going through then... as Ben says, Customer Care won't of seen your web order, only the old account... let us know how you get on. :)

invmatt
25-01-2010, 17:42
So it looks like it's going through then... as Ben says, Customer Care won't of seen your web order, only the old account... let us know how you get on. :)

Hopefully it will go through fine. When the box arrives will it need activating? Don't want to have all the equipment only to find out I can't use it.

jungleguy
25-01-2010, 18:19
there will be instructions in the box, you will need to read them. if you struggle to chew chewing gum and walk at the same time your in trouble!!!

Digital Fanatic
25-01-2010, 18:31
Hopefully it will go through fine. When the box arrives will it need activating? Don't want to have all the equipment only to find out I can't use it.

Plug it all in as per instructions, then call the activations (quick start team) number in the pack. :)

jungleguy
25-01-2010, 19:25
alot of modems these days don't need a signal sent (ie call quickstart and get them to send a hit), they just need registering.
also anyone seen the new modems, they're horrible, and have a usb socket!!!

Peter_
25-01-2010, 19:27
alot of modems these days don't need a signal sent (ie call quickstart and get them to send a hit), they just need registering.
also anyone seen the new modems, they're horrible, and have a usb socket!!!
I take you are EX- NTL as that modem was used on the EX-Telewest platform for years.

jungleguy
25-01-2010, 19:42
I am an ex NTL franchise, our old modem (I think it the 250 was the last one) had USB and ethernet. That got dropped on the 255 models (my memory is not great forgive me if I've got the numbers wrong) The new modem are a square box and hideous.
I'll try and get a pic uploaded

invmatt
25-01-2010, 20:32
It's still got Ethernet right?

jungleguy
26-01-2010, 09:45
yes

Welshchris
26-01-2010, 10:27
a lot of companies have the same process as this. I moved into my flat in Nov 2008 and the electric was on supply with E-ON who i can honestly WOULDNT!! recommend to ANYONE!... As the last tennent died owing £1300 i had to provide details in the way of a copy of my contract to them to show i had taken over the flat from my housing association. They then tried every which way to rip me off tho. I give them meter readings and they claimed i never but thankfully i had a witness who was the housing association caretaker who took same readings. They send me a copy of the bill on my name and when i refused to pay that they tried charging me £265 for 6 weeks electric..

But a lot of companies now will refuse to supply unless u can provide proof of Identity.

jungleguy
26-01-2010, 10:56
don't talk to me about E-on, they had me living at 2 addresses, (both very similar) one existed the other didn't, I got a metered bill for the address I lived at, which obviously had a meter which I would pay, at the phantom address I got an estimated bill (you can't read a meter that does not exist, at a property that doesn't exist) every qtr for 3 years I was on the phone to them, they even sent debt collectors round to the address that didn't exist. What a nightmare.

Peter_
26-01-2010, 22:05
I am an ex NTL franchise, our old modem (I think it the 250 was the last one) had USB and ethernet. That got dropped on the 255 models (my memory is not great forgive me if I've got the numbers wrong) The new modem are a square box and hideous.
I'll try and get a pic uploaded
Its a Scientific Atlanta EPC2100 now part of Cisco and is actually a better quality modem than most Ambits.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/01/12.jpg (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.webombu.com/fotos/cablemodemScientificAtlantaEPC2100R2_03.JPG&imgrefurl=http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php%3Fp%3D19476332%26sid%3Daf677608b1497 899b11d06db97b0f99a%26m%3D1&usg=__I1PekXgVaX6jlDc5rdV55J2OdlI=&h=413&w=550&sz=65&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=tjae-VML72eVoM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Depc2100%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3 DG%26um%3D1)

jungleguy
26-01-2010, 22:33
that's the one, still an ugly lump of plastic

BenMcr
26-01-2010, 22:37
Seems everything is going Cisco, I wonder why lol

Peter_
26-01-2010, 22:39
that's the one, still an ugly lump of plastic
The casing is not as malleable as the 256 though and does not run as hot.

invmatt
27-01-2010, 12:48
Well it seems like everything is going to go ahead. I called today to confirm that the install kit would arrive tomorrow and they've confirmed it should be here by 12pm.

Thanks for the help, hopefully everything will run smoothly.

Digital Fanatic
27-01-2010, 13:48
Well it seems like everything is going to go ahead. I called today to confirm that the install kit would arrive tomorrow and they've confirmed it should be here by 12pm.

Thanks for the help, hopefully everything will run smoothly.

Glad to hear... post back if you need any further help :)

invmatt
28-01-2010, 23:10
The box arrived on time this morning and other than a minor hicup with the BB (kept redirecting to the activation page after completion) everything went smoothly.

No ugly box for me either, still sent out the Ambit 256. Happy ending after a months worth of hassle.

Digital Fanatic
28-01-2010, 23:26
The box arrived on time this morning and other than a minor hicup with the BB (kept redirecting to the activation page after completion) everything went smoothly.

No ugly box for me either, still sent out the Ambit 256. Happy ending after a months worth of hassle.

Excellent.. thanks for updating :)