PDA

View Full Version : Free upgrade (2mb - 10mb) Issue.

frustrated_fella
24-01-2010, 14:22
Hi folks, i have been casualy waiting now for sometime for my free upgrade to happen. I have been a virgin broadband customer on the 2mb service for some 6 or 7 years and still have the original NTL home 200 modem running.

However i have checked and this modem can handle 10mb. The location i'm at has the upgrade completed as i have checked on the virgin media website.

I have today been on the phone with virgin and they said they have now activated the 'switchover' and am advised to wait 3 days before i can now recieve the 10mb broadband speed. I explained that i've been waiting for this to happen for months and have raised the issue both online and on the phone in the past but have never been told of the 3 days wait and switchover before.

Anyways if by thursday (as i'll give them an extra day to be sure) i test my braodband speed and it's still on 2mb could there be a problem at my end? I have done a little research and although my modem can handle 10mb i have read that it must have firmware of at least 0.03? This may aswell be in chinese however as i have not got a clue what this is and what version i am currently on.

I am therefore asking anyone who a) has heard of this switchover being done directly on the phone and having to wait 3 days? Or b) Can anyone give me any advice on how to check what firmware my modem could be running on and if its lower than 0.03 how can i get this installed?

Thank you in anticipation for any replies forthcoming!

SnoopZ
24-01-2010, 16:19
Go to http://192.168.100.1/

Password/login both 'root'

Go to 'Operational Config' and paste here what it says for 'Maximum Downstream Data Rate' and 'Maximum Upstream Data Rate' because you shouldn't be on 2mbit as it doesn't exist anymore.

Try rebooting the modem if the figures show you're not on 10mbit.

frustrated_fella
24-01-2010, 16:42
Thanks for your help SnoopZ.

I have done what you said and it's showing 2mb right?

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2148000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 256000

How do you reboot the modem i have then and will this definatley do the trick?

Also i have a wireless router connected from my modem will this be affected by a modem reboot?

SnoopZ
24-01-2010, 16:46
Yes you're on 2mbit still.

Just cut the power to the modem for 30 seconds and switch on again, it may work but if it doesn't you will have to wait for Virgin to sort it.

frustrated_fella
24-01-2010, 16:50
Just cut the power to the modem for 30 seconds and switch on again, it may work but if it doesn't you will have to wait for Virgin to sort it.

Oh i do this often mate just from the plug, i sometimes do it before i go to bed saving the world and all that toff lol! It must be something from there end. Like i say the woman on the phone earlier today mentioned some sort of 'activation' switchover which i've never heard of before so hopefully in a few days it will be upgraded as she said. I just don't want to be fobbed off though and am disappointed that i've been paying the same bills for a service that in theory should enable me to surf the net with an extra 8mb power than i currently have.

I'll let you know in a few days either way but many thanks for your help and the link proved very useful to me.;)

RobboEdin
24-01-2010, 17:19
What does it say for your broadband package if you logon to 'My Virgin Media'? It should say '10Mb M'.

Peter_
24-01-2010, 18:18
Ring up tomorrow as soon after 0800 as possible and a UK agent should answer and they will probably find that your modem is in a pre provisioning state and will need to get it raised to our IT department via 2nd line and it may take up to 10 working days to resolve.

-------------------------------------------------------
You need to call Tech Support which is on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone.

It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

moaningmags
24-01-2010, 18:47
He has a 2Mb config file so def not in preprov.
All it should need is hits sent.

Peter_
24-01-2010, 18:56
I have had one identical to this this week and so have 2 other colleagues on my team, one was yesterday, they all had exactly the same symptoms but the modem was showing as preprov and all EX- NTL.

Plus they were all online.

frustrated_fella
24-01-2010, 19:09
I have signed upto 'my virgin media' and it shows i'm still on 2mb package.

Broadband package: 2Mb M

Moldova if you work for Virgin is there any sort of reimbursment or some perk for not actually getting upgraded upto now?

Peter_
24-01-2010, 19:12
I have signed upto 'my virgin media' and it shows i'm still on 2mb package.

Broadband package: 2Mb M

Moldova if you work for Virgin is there any sort of reimbursment or some perk for not actually getting upgraded upto now?
It will be down to the agent you speak to when you call in.

Mags will he get your centre if he calls up now.

frustrated_fella
24-01-2010, 19:20
Btw folks what is 'pre-prov' and i will say i haven't had any significant problems with this NTL modem considering i have been using it for over 6 years!

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

I have only just signed upto my virgin media and notice there's an option 'upgrade my braodband'.

Sounds a bit simple but will this hold any answers?

tommol
24-01-2010, 19:23
i have 2mb and have had for many years from telewest with the old motorola modem am i in the same boat as you?

SnoopZ
24-01-2010, 19:25
Btw folks what is 'pre-prov' and i will say i haven't had any significant problems with this NTL modem considering i have been using it for over 6 years!

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

I have only just signed upto my virgin media and notice there's an option 'upgrade my braodband'.

Sounds a bit simple but will this hold any answers?

It'll probably cost you if you click upgrade as yours is mean't to be free.

frustrated_fella
24-01-2010, 19:30
I haven't filled any forms in on the upgrade as i don't want to make that mistake. I hope i notice the difference 'once' all this upgrade is sorted!lol. Thanks folks for your time much appreciated.

moaningmags
24-01-2010, 19:33
It will be down to the agent you speak to when you call in.

Mags will he get your centre if he calls up now.

He might, we're open until 10pm.

Peter_
24-01-2010, 19:35
He might, we're open until 10pm.
He really needs you guys tonight, if not as I said earlier call tomorrow after 0800.

frustrated_fella
24-01-2010, 19:38

Can you explain this please mags?

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

He really needs you guys tonight, if not as I said earlier call tomorrow after 0800.

We have a BT phoneline and its not my phone. If its an issue that may take a long time to resolve is there any chance they could ring me back?

Peter_
24-01-2010, 19:40
Can you explain this please mags?

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

We have a BT phoneline and its not my phone. If its an issue that may take a long time to resolve is there any chance they could ring me back?
The other number is 0845 454 1111 and callbacks are up to the individual agent as we are classed as incoming call centres.

frustrated_fella
24-01-2010, 19:44
Ok Moldova, however as i stated in my initial post i spoke to a lady from Virgin earlier today and she said she has activated the switchover and should wait 3 days to recieve my 10mb braodband speed. Have you ever heard of this either of you 2? (Moldova or Mags).

Ben B
24-01-2010, 19:45
Are the newsgroups open until 10 on a Sunday?

Peter_
24-01-2010, 19:47
Ok Moldova, however as i stated in my initial post i spoke to a lady from Virgin earlier today and she said she has activated the switchover and should wait 3 days to recieve my 10mb braodband speed. Have you ever heard of this either of you 2? (Moldova or Mags).
Porkies of the first order, I expect she was an offshore agent.

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

Are the newsgroups open until 10 on a Sunday?
Yes

Ben B
24-01-2010, 19:52
Maybe the OP could give them a try, the setup guide can be found here (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/) and the newsgroup required is virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

frustrated_fella
24-01-2010, 19:53
Moldova it was obvious i got put through to some asian country i could hardly make her out. This has all came from an original online query i had regarding my braodband speed and paperless bills. The Scottish fella i spoke to beforehand was most helpful in dealing with my ebill query and even told me there was a 10 minute wait for where he was directing me so said he would ring me back which he did. I wish he had the authority and know how to deal with my speed issue.

We all hate speaking to foreigners no disrespect but its much more easier and convinient to speak to Brits so i guess i'll ring the number you've supplied tommorow morning, many thanks Moldova.

Peter_
24-01-2010, 19:58
Try the newsgroups that Ben provided the link to above.

joglynne
24-01-2010, 19:59
If you post you problem on the newsgroup you will be dealing with 2nd line techs based in the UK and you won't need to build up a phone bill on the BT connection you use. :)

frustrated_fella
24-01-2010, 23:09
Ok i've set it up on outlook so what now? Should i just send that i've not been upgraded to 10mb and still on 2mb?

Peter_
24-01-2010, 23:17
Ok i've set it up on outlook so what now? Should i just send that i've not been upgraded to 10mb and still on 2mb?
Just explain what is going on and that you are still on 2Mb not 10Mb.

frustrated_fella
24-01-2010, 23:22
I've sent it off, i've learnt quite a few things from you guys, never really used outlook much and never even realised there was such a thing as newsletters, i guess they're just like this place only in outlook form, pretty handy for future ref anyways so thanks folks!

Maggy
24-01-2010, 23:27
Please come back and tell us the result...:)

frustrated_fella
24-01-2010, 23:34
Don't worry i'll keep yers informed, like i said before though, i better notice the difference this extra 8mb is supposed to bring! Lol!

frustrated_fella
25-01-2010, 15:33
Just to update i have still not had a reply on outlook.

I sent this;

Hi there i'm hoping someone can help. I've been a virgin broadband customer
for around 6 years and have casually been waiting for my free upgrade from
2mb upto 10mb speed. My area is fully compatible and my modem (NTL Home 200)
works fine and have rebooted etc and ought to be capable of withstanding
10mb.

Well i have been waiting for over 6 months now possibly more and can not
understand why i haven't got the faster brodband after visiting various
speed testing sites and the ntl modem homepage definatley states its
currently at 2mb.

I have been online to various forums and have been told to contact
yourselves for assistance. Therefore i would be greatful of any help from
you guys please.

RobboEdin
25-01-2010, 15:46
Here is your answer from the newsgroup:

Hi Mr Norman,

I can confirm that this should now be resovled. All you should need to do
is reboot your modem to obtain the new configuration file to the modem.

--
Kind Regards
Paul Morris
VirginMedia Technical Support

frustrated_fella
25-01-2010, 16:52
Fantastic thanks ever so much Paul, i've just come back from being out and have looked at the config.

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10242000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 514000

I'm delighited i'm up to date and finally with the sign of the times!

Question now is how was this done? Was it a minor or major problem? Has there been many more similar examples? Is it the 'hits' that someone mentioned before on here that i needed? Please bare with me i'm very limited with technical info regarding computers and there networks, it took me days just to get my wireless router secured properly LOL!

Once again thank you everyone for your help and professional advice. I've bookmarked this site in my favourites and thats simply because of your kind nature you've all shown towards me and your help has been 2nd to none!

However i'm usually never one to moan and complain but it does bug me that it seems i should have had this sorted a long time ago. Does anyone advise me to enquire direct to Virgin and ask about what has went wrong and if i should be refunded in any way? If you don't ask you won't recieve but then again i don't want to 'rock the boat'.

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

P.S Btw i can't find the reply on outlook express i have nothing in my inbox and cannot see a reply to my question in the actual newsgroup. This is freaking me out now! How/What/Why and when?Lol.

P.S

Signed into 'my virgin media' and its totally official as my package has changed!(ohhh errrr)!

Broadband package: 10Mb M

joglynne
25-01-2010, 16:57
Glad to hear you are at last sorted.

Click the little box with the X in it next to your post on the newsgroup. It opens up the reply post.

add. Just a little query for the guys though. In a free 2 > 10 upgrade shouldn't the upstream be reading 256000
rather than 512000?

frustrated_fella
25-01-2010, 17:03
Spot on thanks Joglynne. Any advice on my other query's i mentioned anyone?

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Glad to hear you are at last sorted.

Click the little box with the X in it next to your post on the newsgroup. It opens up the reply post.

add. Just a little query for the guys though. In a free 2 > 10 upgrade shouldn't the upstream be reading 256000
rather than 512000?

Hey more is better than less Joglynne!;)

joglynne
25-01-2010, 17:08
Ah, but more is more costly. :(

frustrated_fella
25-01-2010, 17:15
Just went onto a braodband speed test site and obtained the following results for your and my info!

Download speed : 9744 Kbps

Upload speed : 489 Kbps

Thumbs up everyone!!!

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Ah, but more is more costly. :(

No way!!!:erm:

I pay enough thanks, it went up about 14% last year from the previous year already which i weren't over the moon about! I currently pay £21.25 and have just signed upto ebilling so it will hopefully be £20 per month! I don't want to pay anymore than that quite frankly.

I don't really upload anything in any case so wouldn't mind that being lower.

joglynne
25-01-2010, 17:15
It looks as though you have been put up to the 10MB L BB which is dearer than your original 10MB M BB would have been. OK if it's a free upgrade, not so good if you wanted to stay at the same price level.

Wait while someone more knowledgeable gives an opinion. I have been known to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick on occasion so maybe I am misinterpreting the situation.

frustrated_fella
25-01-2010, 17:18
Anyways i'm off out now so i'll get back to any replies in a few hours take care folks!;)

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

It looks as though you have been put up to the 10MB L BB which is dearer than your original 10MB M BB would have been. OK if it's a free upgrade, not so good if you wanted to stay at the same price level.

Wait while someone more knowledgeable gives an opinion.

On 'my virgin media' i've just logged in and it stated i'm on broadband 'M' and its 10Mb!

Anyways chow for now must dash!:waving:

SnoopZ
25-01-2010, 17:21
Just went onto a braodband speed test site and obtained the following results for your and my info!

Download speed : 9744 Kbps

Upload speed : 489 Kbps

Thumbs up everyone!!!

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

No way!!!:erm:

I pay enough thanks, it went up about 14% last year from the previous year already which i weren't over the moon about! I currently pay £21.25 and have just signed upto ebilling so it will hopefully be £20 per month! I don't want to pay anymore than that quite frankly.

I don't really upload anything in any case so wouldn't mind that being lower.

You need to find out if you're on the correct 10mbit package because if not it will cost you more! so won't be free.

fatassmichael
25-01-2010, 17:50
the config file is the difference, in this case all 2-10 meg upgrade configs give 10242000 down and 514000 up, it shows that it is 10 meg 'M' rather than 'L'

frustrated_fella
25-01-2010, 21:18
So what have i to do then folks? Ring them up and make sure i aint gonna pay anymore and also ask for some sort of reimbursement through not having 10mb all this time OR just wait for my next bill?

Ben B
25-01-2010, 21:21
Wait for your next bill and if it's higher dispute it

frustrated_fella
25-01-2010, 22:15
Question now is how was this done? Was it a minor or major problem? Has there been many more similar examples? Is it the 'hits' that someone mentioned before on here that i needed? Please bare with me i'm very limited with technical info regarding computers and there networks, it took me days just to get my wireless router secured properly LOL!

However i'm usually never one to moan and complain but it does bug me that it seems i should have had this sorted a long time ago. Does anyone advise me to enquire direct to Virgin and ask about what has went wrong and if i should be refunded in any way? If you don't ask you won't recieve but then again i don't want to 'rock the boat'.

Anyone Help with these thoughts i made earlier?:scratch:

joglynne
25-01-2010, 22:40
You have written evidence of the delay in your getting the upgrade so presumably VM would not be able to dispute that at a future date if you were to ask for some form of compensation.

Personally, as I don't have a great deal of confidence in having more than one thing being corrected by billings at one time, I would wait for my next bill and double check that I was being charged for the right amount before deciding to take up the question of any compensation for being fobbed off about the upgrade not having taken place when it should have done.

Having said that, I am such a wuss that just getting the 10MB and having a correct bill would in honesty satisfy me and I would just want to move on and call it a day on any further aggravation. :D

RobboEdin
26-01-2010, 14:14
So what have i to do then folks? Ring them up and make sure i aint gonna pay anymore and also ask for some sort of reimbursement through not having 10mb all this time OR just wait for my next bill?

You will not pay any more. You confirmed in an earlier post that My Virgin Media still confirms that you are a BB M customer - that's what 10Mb M means. If you were on BB L, it would say 10Mb L.

Pauls9
26-01-2010, 14:48
you shouldn't be on 2mbit as it doesn't exist anymore.Just a FYI:

Retentions upgraded me from dial-up to 2MB S a few months back. (Just double-checked with My Virgin Media and my e-bill). It's still around for cheapskates ;)

Glad you got yours sorted, frustrated_fella!

frustrated_fella
26-01-2010, 16:49
Just a FYI:

Retentions upgraded me from dial-up to 2MB S a few months back. (Just double-checked with My Virgin Media and my e-bill). It's still around for cheapskates ;)

Glad you got yours sorted, frustrated_fella!

Thanks i hope this thread helps any other folks when they google like i did words like upgrade cable virgin help!Lol.

The thing is though Paul i've been paying the same amount for 2mb when i should really have been having 10mb speed, a bit annoying but as Joglynne said i think i'll just leave it there and put it down as a learning experience. I'm just glad i came across this useful site through it all. Every cloud and all that! Fate, it obviously had to be this way to enable me to stumble across this wonderful place!;)