PDA

View Full Version : Install due 28th Jan... Info/advice needed :)

Console_Crazy
22-01-2010, 14:41
Hi all,
Me and my partner took the plunge last week and ordered the triple bundle with Virgin media. We opted for the L broadband XL TV and M phone (as we will not be really using the phone, apart from weekends of course ;) )

Anyway we have been told the 28th Jan is our install date between 8-1pm but then today my GF received a text saying between 1-6pm and looking through these pages the past few days I have noticed the install guys can be very unreliable in terms of turning up or even calling to let you know they cannot make it. Long story short she phoned up our local store and the lady then confirmed it would be between 8-1pm again.

What do you think the chances are of them sticking to this date as we are very much looking forward to having all these channels and 10mb for my gaming online etc. It seems as though our rented accommodation has had telewest in at some point as there is a unit for the tv and a phone line box in the kitchen..... does this mean its a simple job for them?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Chris
22-01-2010, 14:59
Don't worry excessively about the horror stories on these pages ... the nature of a help site like this is it tends to attract all the bad stuff and relatively little of the good stuff. Things *can* go wrong, but don't assume they will.

I don't know where the text messages originate from, but if it has come from someone closer to the install team than the retail rep you spoke to, personally I'd be more confident of the time in that text. We have a few VM staff on here - one of them may be able to say where the text is likely to have come from.

As for the existing equipment in the house ... I don't know if it makes a vast difference one way or the other. When we had it put in years ago there was already kit in place but he was still there a couple of hours.

:welcome: to the forum, by the way.

Raistlin
22-01-2010, 15:02
Moved to 'Installation Issues' from 'News'.

:welcome: :)

Console_Crazy
22-01-2010, 15:08
Thanks for the reply.... well my partner called the mobile she had the text from thinking it was the install guys and it went right to voicemail and when she spoke with the girl in store she said she was the one sending the texts???? So Im a little unsure to be honest. My partner has the day off either way I've just heard if you normally have a 1-6pm install its far more likely they will not show especially if its closer to 6pm. But as you said not many people praise the service just knock it so I'll take your advice and try not to worry too much ;) Im just lost with out the internet....means I can't play fifa 10 online :(

rust_81
22-01-2010, 15:49
Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did. I received a text message on the 14th Jan confirming my appointment on the 18th Jan 1-6pm. No-one showed up at all on the 18th and when I called Virgin, they told me it had been re-arrnaged for 19th Feb.

Needless to say I've now cancelled and gone to Sky.

brundles
22-01-2010, 16:09
If you have a customer reference number, why not try ringing the main VM customer services number and checking rather than the local store to get a second (possibly more accurate) opinion?

I've had mixed results with the installs over the years and I must admit they have a 50/50 reputation for turning up here. That said, when I complained last time on ringing at 5pm on a Friday (based on the past history) and being told the allocated engineers wouldn't be here until 8ish, I was pleasantly surprised to find the depot supervisor had shuffled things around and a couple other engineers arrived just after 6 and did the job very well indeed. Turns out this was the 3rd overtime job of the day they'd been told to do but despite that I'd say they did the best job I've seen from VM engineers. You really can't tell until they get to you.

Console_Crazy
22-01-2010, 16:30
I guess all we can do is keep our fingers crossed. I think I'm just worrying due to all the negative posts on here regarding installation issues etc. Lets see what happens on the 28th a :) Im lost without the internet and my partner is lost without all the rubbish on tv ha ha. Whilst Im on here do people think the 10mb will be fine for gaming online? Mainly for fifa 10 on xbox and COD MW2?

Digital Fanatic
22-01-2010, 16:35
I guess all we can do is keep our fingers crossed. I think I'm just worrying due to all the negative posts on here regarding installation issues etc. Lets see what happens on the 28th a :) Im lost without the internet and my partner is lost without all the rubbish on tv ha ha. Whilst Im on here do people think the 10mb will be fine for gaming online? Mainly for fifa 10 on xbox and COD MW2?

The texts are usually sent out be Installs or Service Operations, basically the team who manage the appointments for the techs...

Please don't let the horror stories on here frighten you... things can go wrong with anything and people seek forums out to voice there thoughts :)

If you are still concerned, then call 0845 454 1111 and select "installations"... you can double check the appointment then... HTH :)

Oh and :welcome: to the forum CC!

Console_Crazy
22-01-2010, 16:52
Thanks digital fanatic.... so what do you do working for virgin? Are you an installer?

and is 10mb enough for online gaming do you think? We used to have talk talk on 8mb and never seemed to have any issues with lagging etc.

frazzeld
22-01-2010, 20:05
My experience with Installs and Tech visits has been very good.....always turned up when they said they would...the last one just before Christmas

Digital Fanatic
23-01-2010, 18:55
Thanks digital fanatic.... so what do you do working for virgin? Are you an installer?

and is 10mb enough for online gaming do you think? We used to have talk talk on 8mb and never seemed to have any issues with lagging etc.

It should be, yes. :)

jungleguy
23-01-2010, 19:02
its actually a pretty good time of year to get installed. Generally its quiet and VM aren't over loading the installers with work, like just before Xmas.

Console_Crazy
28-01-2010, 12:20
Hello all,
just got a text from the GF confirming Virgin have turned up to install our package (phew) They arrived within the time slot they stated, so were off to a good start ;) A bonus for the install guy it seems as he said to my girlfriend it looks an easy job (we already had the tv box and phone line access points in the flat) So all is good so far, fingers crossed :)

Digital Fanatic
28-01-2010, 12:30
Hello all,
just got a text from the GF confirming Virgin have turned up to install our package (phew) They arrived within the time slot they stated, so were off to a good start ;) A bonus for the install guy it seems as he said to my girlfriend it looks an easy job (we already had the tv box and phone line access points in the flat) So all is good so far, fingers crossed :)

Cool :cool:

Console_Crazy
28-01-2010, 13:52
TV .....Sorted Internet....sorted (although not done a speed test as Im still at work) and he is currently just doing the phone line! Got 30 second updates from the Mrs lol.

Best of it is my girlfriend is at work later so I can have a good old play around with the internet and TV services while she is not there....beer time me thinks.

Console_Crazy
28-01-2010, 17:00
Well well well, I'm at home and as you can see surfing the web :)

All pretty hassle free to be honest, had a little play with the TV channels, couldn't get sound through my tele though? I've hooked it up to my cinema system anyway, probably just a simple thing to rectify if I ever just wanted to watch it through my TV speakers.

Internet was up and running hassle free, however I have just done a speed test via speedtest.net and only got 3mb download when on a 10mb package but i guess now is peak time? I'm hoping this rises as I won't be too happy with just the 3mb when Im paying for up to 10mb

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/01/10.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Thanks for all your help

Console_Crazy
28-01-2010, 17:01
all installed guys, so far so good apart from speed test results....only 3mb download when on 10mb package! :(

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/01/10.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Kymmy
28-01-2010, 17:23
try some other servers or speed test sites

I always have to go to MK server for my results as the routing is best, here is my 10Mb

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/01/9.png

Digital Fanatic
28-01-2010, 17:24
Plus try downloading a large file from

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/

This will be more accurate :)

Digital Fanatic
28-01-2010, 17:27
Best keep this in one thread!... i've replied in your telephone thread ;)

Kymmy
28-01-2010, 17:30
I'll move the internet speed posts from there to here as they're more relevant

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:29 ----------

Digital Fanatic
28-01-2010, 22:08
Did you try the alternative speedtests CC? :)

Console_Crazy
29-01-2010, 08:06
Hi Digi Fanatic,
I did a couple more speed tests and got some rather crazy results! It dropped to under 2mb on one test and ping went rather high too. It was done around 5.30pm but i noticed kymmy also did a test around then and his 10mb connection is spot on. Someone who i know who works for virgin has advised to do 3 tests a day and log them and if its still bad in a weeks time to call virgin up and get it sorted. He advised if i cannot get around 8-9mb at 7am then something is definitely not right.

Peter_
29-01-2010, 08:12
Hi Digi Fanatic,
I did a couple more speed tests and got some rather crazy results! It dropped to under 2mb on one test and ping went rather high too. It was done around 5.30pm but i noticed kymmy also did a test around then and his 10mb connection is spot on. Someone who i know who works for virgin has advised to do 3 tests a day and log them and if its still bad in a weeks time to call virgin up and get it sorted. He advised if i cannot get around 8-9mb at 7am then something is definitely not right.
Kymmy is female the clue is in the name.:D

Console_Crazy
29-01-2010, 08:35

OOPS!!! Sorry Kymmy! My bad :erm:

Kymmy
29-01-2010, 10:30

Most confuse it with the name Kimi :rolleyes: which is male.. Perhaps I should start using my middle name and not my firstname ;)

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

but i noticed kymmy also did a test around then and his 10mb connection is spot on..

I do though live in a village.. Never had anything but full speed, though I know that Manchester and other over subscribed areas do have issues..Especially in large student populations

Console_Crazy
29-01-2010, 10:37
Most confuse it with the name Kimi :rolleyes: which is male.. Perhaps I should start using my middle name and not my firstname ;)

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

I do though live in a village.. Never had anything but full speed, though I know that Manchester and other over subscribed areas do have issues..Especially in large student populations

I am based in the west midlands but not in a student area really! Ill do some more tests over the next few days and see what happens! Anything less than 7mb and I will be phoning virgin.

dave_dph
29-01-2010, 17:44
I am based in the west midlands but not in a student area really! Ill do some more tests over the next few days and see what happens! Anything less than 7mb and I will be phoning virgin.

You'd be much better off using the newsgroup support. You can submit diagnostic information and they will arrange an engineer visit if necessary.

If you don't use newsgroups then an easy set up guide can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/yk75b4y

Use text.news.virginmedia.com as the server and then search for the virginmedia.support.broadband.cable group

Console_Crazy
31-01-2010, 11:02
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/01/1.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

much better over the past few days ;)

Digital Fanatic
31-01-2010, 12:50
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/01/1.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

much better over the past few days ;)

Brilliant :)