PDA

View Full Version : My VM broandband is super slow! Help please!

zkm1223
19-01-2010, 21:09
Hi all,

My VM broadband is really slow. Its been happening for about 2 weeks now. At forst i thought it was because of the snow but its cleared up for about 4 days now and it still isn't fixed.

I am supposed to be on the 20mb service. I have ran several speed tests from different sites including bbc, think-broadband etc. and they are all saying under 1mb apart from speedtest.net which says over 10mb.

I have tried to ring VM several times and each time they give different reasons why it is slow. Some off them said that it was because there was a lot of people on at the same time.

I've been with VM for about 3 years now and this is the second time its happened. the first time was about a month and a half ago which got fixed after a couple of weeks.

Please can someone help me.

Note: if you need some test results please explain how to do them as I am not very good at this stuff. Thanks

Alexander
19-01-2010, 21:51
Hi all,

My VM broadband is really slow. Its been happening for about 2 weeks now. At forst i thought it was because of the snow but its cleared up for about 4 days now and it still isn't fixed.

I am supposed to be on the 20mb service. I have ran several speed tests from different sites including bbc, think-broadband etc. and they are all saying under 1mb apart from speedtest.net which says over 10mb.

I have tried to ring VM several times and each time they give different reasons why it is slow. Some off them said that it was because there was a lot of people on at the same time.

I've been with VM for about 3 years now and this is the second time its happened. the first time was about a month and a half ago which got fixed after a couple of weeks.

Please can someone help me.

Note: if you need some test results please explain how to do them as I am not very good at this stuff. Thanks

the best help will be change provider, as in some areas the VM broandband is sucs

Sephiroth
19-01-2010, 22:55
So - here's how to post data. It also helps to know your location.

1/
Your modem stats (to include Downstream, Upstream, Operational Config & event log). This is achieved by entering http://192.168.100.1 in your browser and hitting the Login link, supplying credentials "root" and "root". You then click on each of the menu items I've listed and copy the results into your next post (e.g. by cutting & pasting into Notepad.exe and then copying the lot into the post).

2/
A speed test preferably using http://www.virginmedia.com/testmyspeed/manual.php.

3/
Just before modem stats, please do PATHPING www.bbc.co.uk. Pathping takes a few minutes to run and tells us where congestion might be occurring. If you type pathping www.bbc.co.uk > c:\fred.txt at the windows command prompt, then you can use notepad to extract and paste all the information in c:\fred.txt or another location of your choice.

Then we can do a partial diagnosis.

zkm1223
20-01-2010, 12:54
Hi, thanks for the replies. I have been able to contact virgin media and pursuaded them that the problem is packet loss. i did some checks that i found on this forum and found out that the problem was packet loss. I phoned them and told them this and they agreed. now they are going to send an engineer to my house and hopefully they will fix it.

Welshchris
21-01-2010, 04:47
Zkm what area u in?

My mate here in Neath South Wales, i was there earlier asked me to look at his internet as he said it hasnt worked correctly since Saturday. It was tediously slow, pings to bbc had 50% loss i did the usual disconnecting router, rebooting modem, even tried his partners laptop and all was the same and i telephoned support and was told it was a packet loss problem that has been affecting the area and date for fix is 11:30pm 21st Jan.

zkm1223
21-01-2010, 11:03
i'm in selly oak, birmingham. It has happened to one of my neighbours internet as well. He is getting the engineer to come to his house today so I will let you know what happens. It happened to both of us at exactly the same time so i think we have probably got the same problem. I checked his packet loss using WinMTR and he is also getting packet loss at about 70-80%, same as mine.

My engineer is coming on sunday.