PDA

View Full Version : UK Timeline Brit Awards 2010

Arthurgray50@blu
18-01-2010, 18:14
It has been announced that Susan Boyle, has been snubbed for an award at The Brits, even though she hasd the biggest selling album for 2009.

And the reason, the insiders believe, is that the Music Industry is getting back at Simon Cowell.

How stupid and pathetic the industry is, when this happens, probabely some load of crap will win the top award - runner up to the biggest selling album.:mad:

Stuart
18-01-2010, 18:16
Any chance of a link?

Oh, and it's worth remembering that the nominations for the Brits are not all decided on Sales..

Arthurgray50@blu
18-01-2010, 18:34
Hi Stuart, it was in the media today and on Channel five news, that is the only link l have. JLS are there for the nominations within the hour.

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

It is also on DS.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

The link is also on DS about Subo.

iFrankie
18-01-2010, 18:35
Looks like Lady Gaga will domante the show lol

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

Hi Stuart, it was in the media today and on Channel five news, that is the only link l have. JLS are there for the nominations within the hour.

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

It is also on DS.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

The link is also on DS about Subo.

here ya go

Subo
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a197308/susan-boyle-snubbed-by-brit-awards.html

Stuart
18-01-2010, 18:45
Cheers.. I would have thought if they really wanted to p Simon Cowell off, they'd block Cheryl Cole as well. After all, not only is she a judge on the X Factor, but she also found fame as a result of one of his shows.

Paul
18-01-2010, 19:22
probabely some load of crap will win the top award - runner up to the biggest selling album.:mad:
as opposed to a worse load of crap that happened to sell the most ....

Maggy
18-01-2010, 22:24
Now without looking can anyone tell me who won the Brit awards in 2001,2005 and last year..:D

Raistlin
18-01-2010, 22:26
Title Changed: a) because it was annoying me, and b) to allow for a discussion of all elements of the awards without having to have multiple threads.

Stuart
19-01-2010, 13:05
Cheers.. I would have thought if they really wanted to p Simon Cowell off, they'd block Cheryl Cole as well. After all, not only is she a judge on the X Factor, but she also found fame as a result of one of his shows.

It's also worth noting that JLS (who, I believe, were x factor contestants) have received more nominations than almost anyone else.

They were talking about this on the radio and it seems one possible reason is that Susan Boyle has only covered songs from other artists, she hasn't done anything original. All the artists announced have either written their own music or had it written for them.

Damien
19-01-2010, 13:13
It's also worth noting that JLS (who, I believe, were x factor contestants) have received more nominations than almost anyone else.

They were talking about this on the radio and it seems one possible reason is that Susan Boyle has only covered songs from other artists, she hasn't done anything original. All the artists announced have either written their own music or had it written for them.

That's what I presumed as well. Behind all the hype she is simply a good singer and there was no creation of new music.

Arthurgray50@blu
19-01-2010, 16:19
Last year Subo sold MORE albums than anyone else, so to me its an absolute disgrace that she hasn't been nominated, or could be beciase of age ?

Damien
19-01-2010, 16:23
Last year Subo sold MORE albums than anyone else, so to me its an absolute disgrace that she hasn't been nominated, or could be beciase of age ?

Nominated for what? She does cover versions. It's not as if she made new music and brought out something original. She sung existing songs. The judges thought she didn't do anything to merit an award and your free to disagree but you don't need to hunt around for ulterior motives for the 'snub'.

Pog66
19-01-2010, 16:43
Now without looking can anyone tell me who won the Brit awards in 2001,2005 and last year..:D

nope....but then agan I don't think I;ve been bothered to watch it since the shambles that was Samantha Fox & Mick Fleetwood presenting

Nugget
19-01-2010, 17:03

Arthur mate, no matter how much you polish it, a turd is still a turd :)

Stuart
19-01-2010, 21:00

I've already explained that sales are not really relevant..

Maggy
19-01-2010, 21:12

You think her voice is that bad..(Because in my opinion she truly is unique) or is the sad thing that the Brit awards have become more about image than talent..

Susan Boyle has been the target of some quite nasty abuse.I cannot imagine that anyone can deny she has a fantastic singing voice so I can only assume it's because her face and body don't fit or it's easy to dismiss her because of the connection with a show that we all like to look down on..It's a sad indictment if that is the case as she really doesn't deserve to be brushed aside at all..

zing_deleted
19-01-2010, 21:19
as opposed to a worse load of crap that happened to sell the most ....

Just cuz you do not like it does not mean its crap unless you believe your view is more important than everyone elses? ;)

---------- Post added at 20:19 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

same thing applies ;)

Damien
19-01-2010, 21:27
You think her voice is that bad..(Because in my opinion she truly is unique) or is the sad thing that the Brit awards have become more about image than talent..

Susan Boyle has been the target of some quite nasty abuse.I cannot imagine that anyone can deny she has a fantastic singing voice so I can only assume it's because her face and body don't fit or it's easy to dismiss her because of the connection with a show that we all like to look down on..It's a sad indictment if that is the case as she really doesn't deserve to be brushed aside at all..

She has got a good voice but that alone is not enough in my view. I don't think she is unique there are quite a few very good singers all doing different things. There are those at the West End, Broadway, wherever Opera is and so on. Many who probably don't do much because singing alone is often not enough.

She is very technically talented at singing but there is no creative talent or new material (i.e new creative work from other writers). That is the hard part, the part that fewer than do. Some of the greatest songs, bands, artists may not have been the best guitarists, drummers or vocalists but created great music.

That's why I think she wasn't nominated for the Brits.

I also think the image thing is rather tiresome. I never saw the big deal. Someone who isn't the greatest looking person in the world is a good singer. It's not that surprising and I think Simon Cowell and his record label made a bigger deal out of it because it helped shift her records.

Anyway the Brit nominations are always weird. JLS getting so many nominations is stupid.

zing_deleted
19-01-2010, 21:32
Main thing for me is she is an underdog come good. I will never forget the look on the faces of everyone who judged her and how they changed when she sung.

She for me is testimony that you should not judge on appearance

Stuart
19-01-2010, 21:37

Or perhaps it's because the media have spend the last few months ramming down our throats how great she is, and how wonderful it is that she did so well after such a hard life.

When, in reality she is a good singer (I have heard better, however) who had a bad life, but then entered and lost a talent contest but was noticed by the man who was responsible for Mr Blobby.

Now, having looked at a list of previous winners (I couldn't find a list of nominees), they are ALL people who are known for recording original work. I stand to be corrected, but I don't believe Susan Boyle has ever sung something that is not a cover version. As such, she may well be ineligible.

In fact, I personally think that the Brits should NOT be about sales. Otherwise, you'd just end up with a situation where those irritating novelty records the record industry likes to inflict on us from time to time won awards because they spent two weeks at no. 1..

Damien
19-01-2010, 21:38
Main thing for me is she is an underdog come good. I will never forget the look on the faces of everyone who judged her and how they changed when she sung.

She for me is testimony that you should not judge on appearance

It was a marketing gimmick. The reason you'll never forget the faces of those who judged her before she sung is because ITV set it up. They had already heard her sing and made a joke out of her before she sung and they did the reaction shots when she did. :shrug:

Yes it's good there is an example of someone who isn't going to sell records on her appearance but they are marketing that as well. I don't think she would have sold as many records if she was better looking.

Maggy
19-01-2010, 21:40
Well Damien I can tell you that among the Brit Winners not one will be plain or ordinary looking.It is all about image these days.You only have to look at how singer/songwriters like Alison Moyet and Kirsty MacColl fared because they didn't fit a certain image and could not be easily pigeon-holed.

Damien
19-01-2010, 21:50
Well Damien I can tell you that among the Brit Winners not one will be plain or ordinary looking.It is all about image these days.You only have to look at how singer/songwriters like Alison Moyet and Kirsty MacColl fared because they didn't fit a certain image and could not be easily pigeon-holed.

I would argue Bat For Lashes in that Female Solo category wasn't nominated for her looks. La Roux in the British breakthrough act either. I actually think that the list is fair apart from Pixie Lott.

Actually Florance and the Machine, Bat For Lashes and La Roux all made good albums in my view. Especially La Roux. I don't think it's fair to see they were nominated for 'image'.

Stuart
19-01-2010, 21:58

Alison Moyet (IIRC) did rather well. Particularly in the late 80s and early 90s. She did lose out at the end of the 90s, but so did a *lot* of artists both good looking and not. Especially when the record companies used Napster and Piracy as an excuse to clear out those artists who they didn't think were doing well.

I have to admit, I personally think both Allison Moyet and Kirsty McColl have (or had, in Kirsty's case) better voices than Susan Boyle. Better music as well.

The thing is, Susan Boyle *has* been marketed on her image. If she was being marketed on her ability to sing, why did the producers of BGT even mention her bad life? Why have the press laboured it so much?

Maggy
19-01-2010, 22:14
Alison Moyet (IIRC) did rather well. Particularly in the late 80s and early 90s. She did lose out at the end of the 90s, but so did a *lot* of artists both good looking and not. Especially when the record companies used Napster and Piracy as an excuse to clear out those artists who they didn't think were doing well.

I have to admit, I personally think both Allison Moyet and Kirsty McColl have (or had, in Kirsty's case) better voices than Susan Boyle. Better music as well.

The thing is, Susan Boyle *has* been marketed on her image. If she was being marketed on her ability to sing, why did the producers of BGT even mention her bad life? Why have the press laboured it so much?

I don't think she has been marketed on image..I think that they have kept her as much out of the limelight as possible because her face doesn't fit..

Anyway I'm sure that she will do well through the internet and doesn't really need the Brits to have success.

Damien
19-01-2010, 22:18
I don't think she has been marketed on image..I think that they have kept her as much out of the limelight as possible because her face doesn't fit..

Anyway I'm sure that she will do well through the internet and doesn't really need the Brits to have success.

Nope. She doesn't.

She is being marketed on her image though, she is being marketed as the rebuke to image as people have said the underdog who came good.

Stuart
19-01-2010, 22:28

I disagree. She has (IMO). ITV, Simon Cowell and the Press have spent a *lot* of time building her up as the downtrodden woman who has a good voice and a crap life.

If they hadn't intended to market her based on her image, they would not have mentioned that (the media in general and TV companies in particular are staggeringly good at hiding details like that if they want to). They would have concentrated on how well she sings, and also possibly invited some known songwriters to write for her.

Hiroki
23-01-2010, 19:34
Hmm didn't know that people still cared about the Brit awards.

Paul
23-01-2010, 19:37
Just cuz you do not like it does not mean its crap unless you believe your view is more important than everyone elses? ;)
Yes it does, and yes.

Why ?

Pog66
23-01-2010, 21:15
supposedly nominations for the best album of the last 30 years and no mention of Radiohead !!!

Hugh
23-01-2010, 21:20
supposedly nominations for the best album of the last 30 years and no mention of Radiohead !!!
Sounds fair to me (and I have three of their albums). ;)

Peter_
23-01-2010, 21:22
They probably fell asleep.:D:D:D

Albums of the last 30 years, the oldest was released 1984, but they are really having a laugh nominating Keane.

Hiroki
23-01-2010, 22:28
Wow the albums of the last 30 years are a joke!!!

Despite the fact I hate both Nirvana and Radiohead they both deserve to be nominated for their influential albums, hell they even forgot to put the Arctic Monkeys in the list - idiots :rolleyes:

Damien
23-01-2010, 22:44

Despite the fact I hate both Nirvana and Radiohead they both deserve to be nominated for their influential albums, hell they even forgot to put the Arctic Monkeys in the list - idiots :rolleyes:

Arctic Monkeys? LOL. They don't deserve a 'influential' album of the last 30 years nomination. I think OK Computer by Radiohead is a surprising oversight but otherwise it's ok.

Hiroki
23-01-2010, 22:52
Arctic Monkeys? LOL. They don't deserve a 'influential' album of the last 30 years nomination. I think OK Computer by Radiohead is a surprising oversight but otherwise it's ok.
Im not a fan of them either but the Arctic Monkeys have been very important to the indie scene and have influenced a lot of bands since their debut album came out and they are still having an effect on bands just breaking into the scene.

Mind you same can be said about dizze rascal paving the way for all that dire rnb/hip hop ***** thats in the chart now.

iFrankie
24-01-2010, 15:39
Hmm didn't know that people still cared about the Brit awards.

Oscars and Grammy awards are better :D:D

Pog66
25-01-2010, 12:52

i'm asuming it's Brit bands only so Nirnava could be excused.

Personally can't see what influence Phil Collins, Dido or Keane have had - or Coldplay for that matter.

But I won't be watching teh Brits or voting so I'll shut up ;)

Hiroki
16-02-2010, 21:14
Can't believe i'm asking this but is anybody watching this show at the moment?

It's a car crash so far haha

iFrankie
16-02-2010, 22:08
Haha Peter Kays comment to Liam Gallagher was fuuunnnyyyy

Hiroki
16-02-2010, 22:16
True but Liam has been my highlight so far :D

That and laughing at Lilly Allen's wig haha.

superbiatch
16-02-2010, 22:26
Just switched over, not sure who's won what but wtf has Lily Allen done to her hair?!