PDA

View Full Version : New Router Advice

TheWoodster
15-01-2010, 18:48
Hello,

just need some techie advise on getting a new router.

currently on 10meg vm, cant fault it (o ive said it now havent it)

I run a home server, web hosting email and all that.

also run home computers wireless and wired.

My current router is dated and keeps clicking off losing lan and internet connection, in fairness it is old now.

Im after recommendations for a new router that can do the following.

Wireless, N standard
IP reservations

Will allow me to do port forwarding for the server without limiting how many i can ports i can setup (which my current router only allows me to do about 15 which is a pain)
and finally but not essential have a gigaport thingy for wired lan as i want a fast network speed for the wired machines.

Ive spent some time searching the web but they dont give too much specifics in regards to the port forwarding issue.

thanks in advance.

Zee
15-01-2010, 19:07
Depends how much you want to spend. Usually Wireless N routers are around £60 and above.

Not all come with the Wireless N adaptors too, and the adaptors are usually more expensive then the routers itself, i saw them for around £80 in PC World.

I got the Netgear Wireless N router for £74.99 from Currys which came with a wiressless N adaptor (saved me £80)

its what i got

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0308958024.126358242 7@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdgadejgifhhffcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&sku=587733

TheWoodster
15-01-2010, 19:17
ah that sounds reasonable, not to fussed about the adapters as the wireless laptops have already got that functionality built in. plus i can always buy the adapters at a later time.

it looks quite a serious bit of kit.
is it quite flexible regarding port forwarding? would i be restricted in how many slots i can set up or is it unlimited.

Many thanks.

Dark Fiber
16-01-2010, 19:01
ah that sounds reasonable, ...
it looks quite a serious bit of kit.
Many thanks.

N.B. that link leads to a combined modem-router (i.e. for ADSL, not cable) !

caph
17-01-2010, 18:35
The Draytek Vigor 2130 is all gigabit but it will only allow 20 port forwarding rules. It's pretty much the most advanced home router on the market with facilities such as 3G support, NAS support and VOIP ports and its 800mbps WAN throughput means you'll be ready for any new speeds that Virgin release in the next few years. I've not found any reviews yet but Draytek are usually extremely reliable.

Matt-08
17-01-2010, 21:16
I've just picked up a WRT160N + WUSB600N set for £39.99 on eBuyer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/175807

Should do all you require for a decent price, minus Gigabit LAN connections.