PDA

View Full Version : Drop-outs when using remote desktop over VPN

prusling
05-01-2010, 18:35
Hope someone can assist me on this.

I'm a long-standing VM user but seem to be experiencing new problems and wonder whether VM have changed their handling of the usage I make - I VPN to my work system and from there use remote desktop connection to access a terminal server on the work network.

I never had any difficulties with this, but it is now repeatably causing my connection to drop, requiring the 30-second power cycle on my cable modem and wireless router to restore normal service. I have tried swapping wireless routers but get the same problem.

I can connect and do the above without problems using my alternate Sky broadband connection (regrettably no longer free...) but I have a data cap on that and I'm a fair distance from the local exchange so it's not a realistic alternative.

I'm on 10Mb at present (upgraded from 2Mb) and would be prepared to upgrade further (all the way to XXL if necessary) if this would resolve the problem.

All help much appreciated.

DocDutch
05-01-2010, 20:09
what kind of router have you got connected to the VM Modem as I have seen issues with VPN on routers before.

prusling
05-01-2010, 20:34
I have an old Netgear (814 I think) and a much newer Tenda; I'm not at home at present so can't check model numbers.

Both have been used without problems before. My Sky connection is on another Netgear and works fine.

prusling
06-01-2010, 08:01
I should have said - the drop-outs occur when I do the remote desktop connect after having being successfully VPN'd for some time.

GMW
16-01-2010, 18:21
I am having problems as well with drop outs using a VPN to my broker for trading which is causing me a lot of problems with the trading software. I am using the 50MB package and have called VM down twice but it has got worse. Anybody got any suggestions - would the business tariffs work better, or a fixed line. I am moving house in six weeks time but this is a real pain.

Peter_
16-01-2010, 21:52
Try opting out of the Virginmedia Advanced Network Error Search (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/advancederror/feedback.php)

Just click the link HERE (https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/settings)

This can help with some VPN connections

mjderrin
17-01-2010, 18:23
I too have recent problems connecting with my usual vpn software -
I quite happily used my cisco vpn to connect to my work lan but about 2 or 3 months ago I found I could no longer connect from home using the virgin media broadband - I have no problem connecting from by sisters house down in London (also a virgin media customer), I can connect fine from the train and most other places I have tried - so I can only think that something changed on the modem at home - I have plugged directly into the modem using an ethernet cable - so it can't be something on the web router - virgin customer support just said I needed a 'vpn engineer' - which wasn't a lot of help - if you have any suggestions as to how I might investigate this further I would appreciate it - thanks

prusling
24-01-2010, 07:07
Thanks for all the replies.

I tried Moldova's recommendation to opt out of the Virginmedia Advanced Network Error Search (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/advancederror/feedback.php) and it's looking good so far.