PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to authenticate Wireless Router?

Anastasis
05-01-2010, 18:14
A friend of mine has had a strange problem with his Virgin internet connection.

He was recently having problems and Virgin came and replaced his cable modem. But since then he cannot get a wireless connection via his Linksys wireless router.

If he connects the cable from the modem directly into his laptop the Internet works.

If he connects the cable from the modem into the wireless router and then runs another cabled connection from the router into his laptop the Internet doesn't work.

My assumption was that his wireless router was therefore faulty, so I tried mine (which I know is working), with the exactly the same results.

I then decided to bring my friend's laptop home and try it wirelessly and it worked.

The problem therefore is local to my friend's Virgin connection. The only logical conclusion I can come to, based on both wireless routers producing the same result, is that it seems that Virgin are blocking the connection when it gets to the router, as though it is not authenticating the connection, although no message is shown to that effect.

Can anyone throw any light on this? Thanks in advance.

Ray.uk
05-01-2010, 18:41
Have you set router to use laptop mac address

MovedGoalPosts
05-01-2010, 18:42
Whenever the device connected direct to the modem is changed i.e. swap between router and a computer, the modem must be powered off and then on.

Has he done a factory reset on the linksys router to restore to clean settings and then moved forward from there?