PDA

View Full Version : Time to move on?

jazzward
04-01-2010, 22:36
I've been a Virgin customer for some time now but recently things have been worse than normal.

As a gamer I require good latency and reasonable pings, something that the Virgin service has been lacking.

Tech support can't help so I decided to cancel.

One quick question before I cancel it all, is it possible to cancel the Telephone and the Broadband but keep the TV?

Reason being is our building is not allowed Sky dishes.

We started with just TV as there was no space left in the cab box for a phone line, but switched later on.

The plan would be to keep TV and get a BT line and BeThere broadband.

pip08456
04-01-2010, 22:45
There is no reason why you could not get just the TV service.

Sephiroth
04-01-2010, 23:11
I've been a Virgin customer for some time now but recently things have been worse than normal.

As a gamer I require good latency and reasonable pings, something that the Virgin service has been lacking.

Tech support can't help so I decided to cancel.

One quick question before I cancel it all, is it possible to cancel the Telephone and the Broadband but keep the TV?

Reason being is our building is not allowed Sky dishes.

We started with just TV as there was no space left in the cab box for a phone line, but switched later on.

The plan would be to keep TV and get a BT line and BeThere broadband.

Damn good idea BUT - get the condition of your BT telephone line. You've not said if it's a VM owned telephone line or a BT line leased to VM.

Main point is that in a blocl of flats, phone line signals can be the subject of noise and croas-talk that would lower your broadband speed. That needs proper checking or else you'll get periodic disconnects on the ADSL2+ line.

Ignitionnet
05-01-2010, 00:14
Damn good idea BUT - get the condition of your BT telephone line. You've not said if it's a VM owned telephone line or a BT line leased to VM.

Main point is that in a blocl of flats, phone line signals can be the subject of noise and croas-talk that would lower your broadband speed. That needs proper checking or else you'll get periodic disconnects on the ADSL2+ line.

Should be ok unless the wiring is poor. I got crosstalk from hell, but it just lowered sync speeds it won't by default cause disconnects. In apartments with VM available things should be somewhat better however the DSL standards were produced with crosstalk in both directions in mind.

Sephiroth
05-01-2010, 01:00
Should be ok unless the wiring is poor. I got crosstalk from hell, but it just lowered sync speeds it won't by default cause disconnects. In apartments with VM available things should be somewhat better however the DSL standards were produced with crosstalk in both directions in mind.
I write from experience! My mum's lovely block of flats - top floor (3 floors) and it disconnects every 15 minutes or so, then resyncs a minute later. I looked in the communcal hall where there's a BT distribution box and I can see why.

It's not the newest block of flats ....

Ignitionnet
05-01-2010, 11:08
I write from experience! My mum's lovely block of flats - top floor (3 floors) and it disconnects every 15 minutes or so, then resyncs a minute later. I looked in the communcal hall where there's a BT distribution box and I can see why.

It's not the newest block of flats ....

As do I, an evidently somewhat better wired block. Vicious crosstalk as evidenced by bit loading on each DMT bin but perfectly stable.

Sephiroth
05-01-2010, 14:54
As do I, an evidently somewhat better wired block. Vicious crosstalk as evidenced by bit loading on each DMT bin but perfectly stable.

I'll translate that for you!

DMT is an abbreviation for "Discrete Multi Tone" which is the means (modulation method) for converting digital data into telephone wire tones=frequencies.

There are three channels carried on a telephone line with ADSL: Voice, Upstream Data, Downstream data. The "bins" are the associated sub-channels (e.g. 512 sub-channels for ADSL2+)

Can you imagine dear old BBings, mellowing in his old age ;) sitting there with his oscilloscope or spectrum analyser getting hold of the bit loading on each DMT bin causing such vicious cross talk!

Ignitionnet
05-01-2010, 15:08
*Snigger*

Nope was using DMT Tool (http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv7.htm)

pip08456
05-01-2010, 17:07
*Snigger*

Nope was using DMT Tool (http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv7.htm)

You've shattered the illusion now.:rolleyes:

Ignitionnet
05-01-2010, 17:25
It's really not a pleasant one from my POV so quite happy to shatter it. I would use a spectrum analyser for RF analysis on an HFC network, it's a DSL analyser such as the kit from Spirent (http://www.spirent.com/Broadband/OSP_and_InHomeTesting/Tech-X-Flex/Tech-X_Flex-DSL.aspx) for bit loading on a DSL circuit.

Sephiroth
05-01-2010, 17:50
It's really not a pleasant one from my POV so quite happy to shatter it. I would use a spectrum analyser for RF analysis on an HFC network, it's a DSL analyser such as the kit from Spirent (http://www.spirent.com/Broadband/OSP_and_InHomeTesting/Tech-X-Flex/Tech-X_Flex-DSL.aspx) for bit loading on a DSL circuit.

Now look what I've started! :devsmoke: