PDA

View Full Version : No internet connection in sw17

patbear
04-01-2010, 13:06
After a couple of days without internet access last month, we started the year with no internet again. Today we are the 4th and still no access. The numerous phone calls to the helpdesk always received the same answer "the problem will be fixed in the next 6 hours" .....
What can I do? I signed up for a 18 months contract (incl TV and phone). Is this a breach of contract on Virgin part?

Digital Fanatic
04-01-2010, 13:23
After a couple of days without internet access last month, we started the year with no internet again. Today we are the 4th and still no access. The numerous phone calls to the helpdesk always received the same answer "the problem will be fixed in the next 6 hours" .....
What can I do? I signed up for a 18 months contract (incl TV and phone). Is this a breach of contract on Virgin part?

Hi

Just checked this and loss of service is due to a fibre break. Engineers are having difficulty with this one I'm afraid.

We don't really have a SLA at present. The ticket reference is 1159747. This can be tracked on our Status Page - see my sig for link.

HTH

patbear
04-01-2010, 13:37
Thank you. This is the first time we know what's happening.

Raistlin
04-01-2010, 13:39
:welcome: to patbear :)

.....and well done Digital Fanatic :tu:

Digital Fanatic
04-01-2010, 13:40
Thank you. This is the first time we know what's happening.

No problem. I'll keep an eye on the ticket and see how it's going. It is being worked on as a high priority... hopefully won't be too much longer now. :)

:welcome: to the forum BTW

patbear
05-01-2010, 08:13
This is my 5th day without internet access at home. Digital Fanatic do you know if any progress has been made?

JUSTPARTOFTHECRO
05-01-2010, 09:06
Just wanted to share my frustration.

I understand that the issue may be out of their control, but have found that the generic update of "Our engineers are still investigating this issue. Further updates will be posted, as they become available. Virgin Media would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused." on the ticket status shows that someone just taps a generic "Update" button once in a while.

I hope that doesn't sound harsh, I don't believe it is too harsh, just a fair assessment of my frustration.

I hope that they will fix it soon, and provide some significant refunds.

Prior to this I have been a walking / talking propent of the cable service as I believe it has provided the best throughput of any internet provider I have used to date.

Digital Fanatic
05-01-2010, 09:24
This is my 5th day without internet access at home. Digital Fanatic do you know if any progress has been made?

will get an update for you patbear... give me a couple of mins...

---------- Post added at 09:21 ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 ----------

Engineers are back on site at the moment. We are hopefull of a resolution today if all goes to plan.

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 ----------

Just wanted to share my frustration.

I understand that the issue may be out of their control, but have found that the generic update of "Our engineers are still investigating this issue. Further updates will be posted, as they become available. Virgin Media would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused." on the ticket status shows that someone just taps a generic "Update" button once in a while.

I hope that doesn't sound harsh, I don't believe it is too harsh, just a fair assessment of my frustration.

I hope that they will fix it soon, and provide some significant refunds.

Prior to this I have been a walking / talking propent of the cable service as I believe it has provided the best throughput of any internet provider I have used to date.

Hi and :welcome: to the forum

You are being a little bit harsh to be honest :) . . . the Status Page is to show that an issue is still open. The re-posts show the status was checked by the Outage Teams and reported back as ongoing.

Once a resolution is given then they post the outcome. HTH

patbear
05-01-2010, 09:42
Thanks DF. It is very frustrating to be kept in the dark. The update page should clearly states the problem and the progress. Customers will be more understanding.

JUSTPARTOFTHECRO
05-01-2010, 09:44
Thanks Digital Fanatic.

I think I just wanted to vent really, but think am being measured in my response. I believe 5 days would elicit a more erratic vent from most :)

About the status page. If a post shows that it has been checked by an outage team, does that mean that an outage team has only checked the issue once or twice a day? I am not sure what it means that an outage team has checked though.

That being said, until now I've been a proponent of Virgins service, I've only had two short outages in 12 months.

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

And apologies DF if any of this seems like it's directed at you... it's more a case of venting against the situation, the process, the outage etc...

Digital Fanatic
05-01-2010, 09:59
Hi both,

Completely understand your frustration.. I know any venting is not aimed at myself :)

The Outage Teams manage regions and will check the updates of a ticket for any updates. Most high priority outages will hafe a 4 hours SLA. The Outage Teams will check once the SLA is near or has just expired and update the customer pages accordingly. the Teams are constantly managing the tickets, but all other work is being updated constantly in real-time within the tickets by networks. Most things the teams are looking at would make no sense to customers, so information is kept jargon free for all to understand.

This particular issue is a fibre break and as I've said they engineers are struggling a little with this.... We are haoping for a resolution today.

BTW.. you will be credited for loss of service, so long as you have reported the fault. Once fixed, call 150 and they will credit for the time lost.

Will keep an eye on this today for you. HTH

Digital Fanatic
05-01-2010, 12:18
also, if you have feedback to Virgin Media regarding this fault or the way information is given, then use the feedback form on our website:

Click Me! (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/contact/complaint-feedback.php)

Can I just add though, that your feedback should really be about the amount of information given and not about the Outage Teams as they have no control over what information they can post on the Status Page.

toObserve
06-01-2010, 10:10
Hi Digital Fanatic ,

Thanks for providing us a very professional reply to our vents. You mentioned that the status page is to assist non technical users but is there a way we could see the engineers report so that those of us who are more technical minded can take a view on the likely duration before a fix. It would be nice on the status summary page to have a technical web link to the report.

Thanks

Digital Fanatic
06-01-2010, 10:28
Hi Digital Fanatic ,

Thanks for providing us a very professional reply to our vents. You mentioned that the status page is to assist non technical users but is there a way we could see the engineers report so that those of us who are more technical minded can take a view on the likely duration before a fix. It would be nice on the status summary page to have a technical web link to the report.

Thanks

Hi toObserve and :welcome:

Thanks... Not at the moment, but maybe feedback to VM about it?

I believe updates today will be minimal due to the adverse weather... not a lot of staff have been able to get in to the VM offices around the country and this is also affecting the Network engineers too.

I'm off today myself.

patbear
06-01-2010, 13:59
Well since this morning with the snow came the internet access. :)

Digital Fanatic
06-01-2010, 15:36
Well since this morning with the snow came the internet access. :)

Brilliant! :) really glad to hear!

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Don't forget to call customer care on 150 to get your credit for loss. They might be a little short staffed today, but maybe try tomorrow.