PDA

View Full Version : BBC iPlayer now on Freesat\Humax

alferret
27-12-2009, 21:08
Connect your Humax freesat HD box to your router via ethernet, go to 101 (BBC1), press red button key in the following number 5483 press OK and iPlayer should start loading, works great on mine :) The quality on "high" is about as good as SD on a non HD channel.

Enjoy :D

Flyboy
27-12-2009, 23:20
Well I'll stick to quality that is better than SD on my V+ box, thanks.

alferret
27-12-2009, 23:27
Well I'll stick to quality that is better than SD on my V+ box, thanks.

But its free, you know that bit where you pay errr nothing ;)

Lots of us freesat users have been waiting for iPlayer t go live, even if it still beta, very watchable and I dont need to pay a subscription to VM for a V+ box :p:

Flyboy
28-12-2009, 00:37
But do you get ITV Player and 4OD as well? I much prefer the whole package. If I wanted a free service, I would just access iPlayer on the internet.

alferret
28-12-2009, 09:33
ITV player will be coming to freesat in the next year, 4od there is a possibility within 18 months.

iPlayer on my media centre isnt as good a quaility as it is on the Humax probably due to explorer\firefox using a diferent version of flash although I assume both streams are from the same encoding.

Anyway the original post was allowing others who were possibly waiting for this to happen to have the information they require to use the iPlayer function on their Humax box not get into a discussion about the why's & wherefore's of paying extra money for a subscription that wouldnt be used in my house anyway.

Your obviously happy with your service that you pay for & I'm happy to not pay & get my services for free :)

Chris
28-12-2009, 11:24
But do you get ITV Player and 4OD as well? I much prefer the whole package. If I wanted a free service, I would just access iPlayer on the internet.

That's not really a fair comparison, as pull-VOD via Freesat is in its infancy. Accessing iPlayer via a PIN on Humax boxes is essentially the BBC's Beta trial of the service. ITV player and 4OD will appear as VOD services via Freesat eventually; the platform was deliberately designed and specced to ensure it could happen. With Project Canvas now also green-lit, it's likely that within the next 2 years the VOD offering via Freesat will be considerably wider even than that provided by the UK's main PSB channels.

A fairer comparison of Freesat and VM would be one based on reliability, whole-life cost (because VM charges a subscription, but on the other hand Humax boxes aren't free and don't get replaced for free when they break) and, yes, breadth of viewing choice. That's not a comparison that will be easy to make for a good few months yet though.

Kymmy
28-12-2009, 11:35
Remember though unlike V+ you do need a seperate internet connection to get BBCiP

It's really good though as it's a major step foward in a form of IPTV that's free ;) even though you need the connection and it's only on demand

Flyboy
28-12-2009, 13:04
Remember though unlike V+ you do need a seperate internet connection to get BBCiP

It's really good though as it's a major step foward in a form of IPTV that's free ;) even though you need the connection and it's only on demand

Except of course that extra BB connection.

Kymmy
28-12-2009, 13:09
??? I didn't say it was free yet, said it was a major step forward that you seem to have missed highlighting :p: