PDA

View Full Version : ME and my website on internet

ron101
22-12-2009, 15:41
Hi where do i start, right on thursday virgin fitted a new modem 50Mbs and a ROUTER, it was alright for 6 hours then it dropped the line, after 1hr i rang them (india) have you rebooted it ,blah,blah blah then she said ill send an engineer round tomorrow,come friday phone call i cant come coz the weather see you monday morning, phone call monday ,cant come make it tuesday afternoon.( ive seen them now)
Meantime i found the trouble , a broken plug on the ethrnet cable that's all right now hear's the problem.
I can get on the internet with the pc but my ******.*** which i also host on my pc does not show. Before i could get both of them on the internet ronuk.org and mine but i cant *****.*** any help i thought virgin would now but the girl they sent round was as much use as a chocolate teapot, SOO im asking you??

Raistlin
22-12-2009, 15:55
If you've had a router installed which is different to the one you had before (if any) then it's most likely blocking access to the PC that you have the website hosted on.

You would need to forward (probably) port 80 on the router to the IP address of the PC, you might also then need to open that port on any software firewall that you're running.

Note though that I really wouldn't recommend hosting a web site on the same machine that you do your day to day work on. Up to you though.

Kymmy
22-12-2009, 15:56
How do you host the website on the PC? via IIS? If so and it's the default site try 127.0.0.1 (or map it in the hosts file) and if that works you'll probably find that the change in IP isn't automatically transferred to IIS ;)

Raistlin
22-12-2009, 16:00
Good point, hadn't considered the possibility that there'd been an IP change.

Where are your DNS servers pointing for your domain?

Kymmy
22-12-2009, 16:08
The DNS for that domain points OK to the IP you're on now (Have removed the domain from your original post to protect your IP) if you are not behind a router then you'll find it's either an IIS/APACHE config fault with the IP, I know that Apache doesn't change the IP by default when you change the external IP and IIS has a life of it's own especially if the IP is set from default

ron101
22-12-2009, 16:12
Hi thanks but how do you set the router to 80 im using DIR-615 would you know, im absolutly clueless when it comes to this? by the way im using xampp

Kymmy
22-12-2009, 16:30
RTM ;)

ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dir_products/dir-615/

You're looking for port forwarding (though you'll probably have to set up a DHCP reserved IP for your computer as well especially if you have more than one)

If though you only have one computer just remove the router for now and plug your PC into the modem instead (reboot the modem) Not very good security wise but it'll instantly bring back your website (well after you change the DNS that is as the IP will change)

ron101
22-12-2009, 16:33
Thanks a lot Kymmy i look at it now

ron101
22-12-2009, 19:20
Right ive got on the internet but now it takes soooo long to reappear any idea and when it does half the graphics are missing??

Kymmy
22-12-2009, 20:31
Can't see anything missing on the front page, can you tell me which page has missing items?

ron101
23-12-2009, 08:03
Only the outline of graphics has come up and all the menu items has come up,even the row headlines graphics 5 pics on the area graphics isn't there.Ive just had a thought would a newsgroup phpbb3 have any effect on in (2nd down FORUM)

Kymmy
23-12-2009, 09:31
I personally can see every picture.. and the phpbb3 forum is fine

Try the first link on my sig, that's hosted on a home server (Joomla and phpbb3) though I'm bypassing the router with that server.

Anyway as I saids it looks fine from here, try using your local IP in the routing and you'll probably find it's works as simpley because with the DNS you're trying to go out of the router and back in as it's using the external IP

ron101
23-12-2009, 15:12
Im really really sorry but i just cant see whats wrong ive tried 3 ip nos [Removed] which is mine and the two others .IF The address says 192.168.0.100/ and i can get in then by putting the nos. in but by putting the name it wont go.
Ive got name ron1, IP addresss 192.168.0.1 ,Application name HTTP, COMPUTER NAME RON-PC, Public Port 80, Private Port 80,
Can you see what ive done from that??

Kymmy
23-12-2009, 15:16
I think you;re looking for a problem that isn;t there..

If you're on Windows put in an entry in the HOSTS file pointing your website to your LOCAL IP and voila it should all be perfect. (not sure how to do that on Linux)

Remember that currently when you type in the URL your pc request goes to the router, to the modem then back to the router, then to your PC, the response takes an equally long journey. If you route to the LOCAL IP then you don;t get the same problem

ron101
23-12-2009, 15:35
Oh dear which is the LOCAL IP is it my own one that ive alway had

Kymmy
23-12-2009, 15:52
Whichever one your router is giving you..

Check in the router config.. You can (as I said quite a few posts ago) get it to give you the same one each time (DHCP Reservation) and it should be the same as in the port forward.

ron101
23-12-2009, 16:11
Ive done it ,ive done it ,ive done it hoooooray im 58 and ive had a stroke down the rh side so i was really greatefull at you spending time with me, (you wouldn't believe i used to build PC,s before my stroke, still i am alive.)Thank you very much.

Kymmy
23-12-2009, 16:25
:clap: Well done :clap:

That's what we're here for - helping out, giving advice, making fools of ourselves and giving our own viewponts..

Glad you're happy :)