PDA

View Full Version : Another one randomly throttled around 9pm

Morph-0
16-12-2009, 23:54
Well this is quite disgraceful I am getting fed of this shambles of a internet service that Virgin Media provide. When I joined, the company was run by NTL and the connection was actually good. Now they have been taken over by the greedy jokers that are Virgin I have no idea what kind of service to expect.

This what a 10mb Broadband L package is currently achieving :mad: -

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/12/27.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

All I did today was visit a few websites and this isn't the first time it has happened either infact it happens every other evening.

What is the point of having an internet connection that only works properly when no one is actually using it?

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.01 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 31.74 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 57.75 dBmv

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 562750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : 256 QAM
Downstream Receive Power Level : -3.86 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.39 dB

Upstream Frequency : 22000000 Hz

Anyone see anything wrong with these readings? if no then I think this maybe the final straw enough is enough and I'll have to cancel this rubbish.

"Fibre optic is faster

Other providers deliver their broadband through copper telephone wire, which means your speed gets slower the further you live from the phone exchange. Optical fibres are made of glass, and they're designed to send vast amounts of information at the speed of light (that's pretty fast). That's how we can deliver speeds of up to 50Mb. "

If fibre optic is so much better then why can't Virgin keep up with basic customer demands? Why am I paying for 10mb and only being provided with 2?

Sephiroth
17-12-2009, 00:18

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.01 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 31.74 dB

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 562750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : 256 QAM
Downstream Receive Power Level : -3.86 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.39 dB

Upstream Frequency : 22000000 Hz

Anyone see anything wrong with these readings? if no then I think this maybe the final straw enough is enough and I'll have to cancel this rubbish.
The readings aren't brilliant.

You've got a low SNR (although a 10 Mbps line is less fussy) but to my mind the low power received at the modem when seen with the low SNR indicates a problem to me.

The highish upstream power supports this view and it may be a local thing (in your house - properly screwed in coax), on the outside wall (corroded splitter), in the cabinet (damp, poor connexion) or any point up to and including the port on your CMTS.

So you should call the techs in, IMO.

Peter_
17-12-2009, 06:19
That is STM with a 2.5Mb downstream and a .130kb upstream

Check this link out if you downloaded the amounts specified during the time periods shown you will have your speed cut to the limits listed.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

The Upstream power is high so you need to call Tech Support which is open 24/7 on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone.

It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

ericboyle45
19-12-2009, 11:18
Think yourself lucky. Most of the time I only get just over 1mg per second in Doncaster, Yorkshire.

zing_deleted
19-12-2009, 12:00
1mg of what lol lol

ericboyle45
19-12-2009, 15:16
Sorry about the above, slight slip of the keys, Blame the dog. Meant to say download speed of just over 1MB/Sec.

Tech_Boy
19-12-2009, 15:39
Sorry about the above, slight slip of the keys, Blame the dog. Meant to say download speed of just over 1MB/Sec.

Which would be right for a 10 Mega bit connection, which tops out at just over 1 Mega Byte per second.

AHN-David
21-12-2009, 16:42
I think its crap also.

I used to get 7/8mb around peak times on my 10mb and that is why I joined virgin when I moved house but now its all to cock.

redstar1
21-12-2009, 18:47
When I joined, the company was run by NTL and the connection was actually good. Now they have been taken over by the greedy jokers that are Virgin I have no idea what kind of service to expect.

NTL took over Virgin, so it's still the same company, just a different name.

Sephiroth
21-12-2009, 19:23
NTL took over Virgin, so it's still the same company, just a different name.
No. Telewest took over NTL (reverse merger!) but kept the name NTL. NTL bought Virgin Mobile and did a branding deal for shares with Branson for the name Virgin Media. Branson gets annual dosh for the use of his name and if he considers that his brand is falling into disrepute, he has get-out/take-back options.