PDA

View Full Version : Internet boxes

GeoffxxUK
16-12-2009, 14:57
Ok so we have one Virgin Media Broadband box in our house but I was just wondering if I would be able to have a 2nd box in my room as my brother hogs all the bandwidth up playing his online games and I'm feeding off the wireless router. I would like it so if I got a second box I would have my own connection and wouldn't have to feed off the router all the time. And then I won't suffer.

Also. how much would this cost me to do? I live with my mother and she's a Virgin Media customer already but I would be paying for my box.

Thank you and I hope to hear your advice! :)

BenMcr
16-12-2009, 15:05
You can only have one modem per address/account

hopester
16-12-2009, 15:11
Online gaming uses very little bandwidth, and as Ben says one modem per address. The extra money you are willing to spend would be better spent upgrading the broadband speed to a higher package and using a router to control the bandwidth allocation.

GeoffxxUK
16-12-2009, 15:21
Online gaming uses very little bandwidth, and as Ben says one modem per address. The extra money you are willing to spend would be better spent upgrading the broadband speed to a higher package and using a router to control the bandwidth allocation.

He's either on his game or downloading something. On my side it seems to be very slow. Is there anything I can do?

fireman328
16-12-2009, 15:40
Get a girlfriend for your brother lol

hopester
16-12-2009, 15:42
Find out if he is downloading via torrents and if he is, make sure he does not saturate the upstream, ie set say 30K max up if you are on the normal 10 meg package plus limit the number of connections the torrent program uses. Also try the wireless when his PC is off to ensure you have a good signal / speed and its not some other problem etc.

Final option is the use the ultimate QOS weapon, you Mum ;)
I

bomber_g
16-12-2009, 16:23
I would personally log into the router - give it some obscure password and set QOS so you share bandwidth 80 - 20 in your favour :)

I had to move home temporarily and did this to my mother - thinking about it her router still has QOS allowing her access to only 3 meg down and 100 K up.... ah well she isn't complaining

Andy-lfc-2k9
16-12-2009, 17:40
Hello i am new to all this and would appreciate the help :) im sorry if im in the wrong thread for this but as i said i am new :) ,, ok a few months ago i was having very slow internet i had the EPC2100r2 Cable Modem at the time , since then virgin have sent me an Ambit 256 wich was ok for about 3 months then started dropping connection , so i switched back to my EPC2100r2 wich i was suprised to see still connected to virgins network wich i know isn't right as your only allowed 1 registerd modem per house , so to sum up i have two modems and both work whenever i plug them in when im guessing really only one should , any ideas why they both still work would be helpfull .. thank you

Peter_
16-12-2009, 17:48
Hello i am new to all this and would appreciate the help :) im sorry if im in the wrong thread for this but as i said i am new :) ,, ok a few months ago i was having very slow internet i had the EPC2100r2 Cable Modem at the time , since then virgin have sent me an Ambit 256 wich was ok for about 3 months then started dropping connection , so i switched back to my EPC2100r2 wich i was suprised to see still connected to virgins network wich i know isn't right as your only allowed 1 registerd modem per house , so to sum up i have two modems and both work whenever i plug them in when im guessing really only one should , any ideas why they both still work would be helpfull .. thank you
Only the new modem should work, so it must be a glitch on the system and the old modem will one day just stop working when you least expect it.

Andy-lfc-2k9
16-12-2009, 17:56
okay that will be the epc2100r2 then (old) i'l stick with the ambit 256 (newest) thanks for your help , although is strange the old one has been working non stop for 3 months now ..

Peter_
16-12-2009, 17:59
okay that will be the epc2100r2 then (old) i'l stick with the ambit 256 (newest) thanks for your help , although is strange the old one has been working non stop for 3 months now ..
They will run a script one night and it would stop working so using the new one stops any connection issues.

Andy-lfc-2k9
16-12-2009, 18:06
No Problem i've just plugged the ambit back in now , il bin the other 1 tomorrow :) thanks for your help guys , these forums are very helpful