PDA

View Full Version : internet in bedroom

on the nose
14-12-2009, 14:20
My son wants a computer in his bedroom but he does not want wireless,he wants it hard wired to his computer so he will want a modem, and the coax going over the roof to his bedroom, will virgin provide this service and how much for 20 meg broadband,i already have virgin media xl and 20 meg downstairs,he said hard wired to computer will be faster for his games coz wireless is slow and disconects him a lot,so what would you advice.
OTN.
thanxs

Stuart
14-12-2009, 14:23
Virgin will not generally supply two broadband connections to one house. Your best option would be to run an Ethernet cable up the stairs from your current router.

caph
14-12-2009, 14:23
Check out homeplugs. They allow you to connect to your network via your mains ring. It might be a good compromise.

Chris
14-12-2009, 14:39
My son wants a computer in his bedroom but he does not want wireless,he wants it hard wired to his computer so he will want a modem, and the coax going over the roof to his bedroom, will virgin provide this service and how much for 20 meg broadband,i already have virgin media xl and 20 meg downstairs,he said hard wired to computer will be faster for his games coz wireless is slow and disconects him a lot,so what would you advice.
OTN.
thanxs

I would tell your son to go whistle. ;)

For a start, as Stu has already said, Virgin will not supply two separate accounts to the same house. Second, even if they did, they won't sling their cables over the roof. Third, it's not even necessary. The most you need is a nice long length of ethernet cable, which you can buy here:

http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44362

Hand this to your son with a hammer and a box of cable clips, and then tell him he's not allowed back online until he's made a nice, neat job of tacking the cable from your router to the location of the PC in his room.

Better still, make him buy the hammer, clips and cable himself.

Sephiroth
14-12-2009, 14:39
OTN.
thanxs
My illustrious son has the first BT point in his bedroom and the O2 ADSL2+ modem sitting on top of his monitor.

If VM goes down, I have a backup and in the meantime I have no grief from any quarter!

Graham M
14-12-2009, 14:45
Our VM comes in downstairs, next to the router which is connected directly to the Modem via Ethernet, the router then connects to 1 of a pair of homeplugs of which the other is next door to me in my brother's room, the homeplug then connects to a network switch and shares it been his PC, Laptop, PS3 and XBox360, I have then run an Ethernet cable over the ceiling and into my switch connecting my 2 PCs, VOIP phone and PS3.

Most of the time it works great :D

SiJ2000
19-12-2009, 11:50
Homeplugs work fine... My Modem/Router is near my TV, but my network switch etc are in a study room upstairs, they are linked with lan over mains devices and work really well :)