PDA

View Full Version : Forum posts being cut short

cook1984
14-12-2009, 00:51
I am having a rather odd problem. Sometimes when I post to forums, the posts are cut off.

Usually the post just stops after a few lines and the rest is missing. Sometimes a chunk is taken out of the middle and the end appears.

Happens in three different browsers (FF, IE, Konqurer), on two different machines and when behind a router or directly connected to the modem. No proxy is set up on my end, and AFAIK VM do not use transparent proxies any more because they break a lot of stuff.

I should also say that I sometimes get very poor speeds and am on the 3rd modem. Could be related.

Any ideas? I posted in the newsgroup, but I don't hold out much hope. Intermittent issues are always a pain to diagnose.

Horace
14-12-2009, 05:29
Packet-loss would be the only reasonable explanation and that ties in with the problems with your connection however I don't understand why TCP wouldn't require a resend.

Just out of curiosity, did you change the power supply adaptor with each modem swap?

cook1984
15-12-2009, 00:05
Yes, I did change the PSU over each time.

I have repeatedly pointed out that things get bad whenever it rains. They fixed some kind of problem at their end a few months back and it cleared up for a while, but it's worse than ever now :(

I give up some times. Unfortunately VM is the only option for me (ADSL doesn't work reliably on my line). My posts don't seem to be showing up in the VM newsgroup at the moment either.

Paul
15-12-2009, 00:11
Packet loss is unlikely as TCP is designed to prevent such things, the send should be rejected if packets are missing.

cook1984
15-12-2009, 19:23
It seems like some kind of transparent proxying is causing the problem. I have noticed that I can't post long messages to the VM support newsgroup either, only short ones get though.

I'm starting to get paranoid, thinking I'm in some kind of secret malware trial like the Phorm debacle or for some reason MI5 is bugging my internet connection. Seriously guys, I'm not a terrorist so can we stop now please?

Sephiroth
15-12-2009, 19:27
Have you klooked at the network settings in Internet Exploreor? The Connections panel - if it shows a procy, come back to us with details etc.

Do you subscribe to an external Anti-Virus scanning system?

cook1984
15-12-2009, 23:22
I tried with IE, Firefox and Konqurer on a Ubuntu Live CD and on two different computers. I also tried being connected directly to the modem.

I don't run AV software in the background, but I have recently scanned the system fully so I know it's clean. The Ubuntu Live CD rules virus infection out anyway.

Sephiroth
15-12-2009, 23:45
I tried with IE, Firefox and Konqurer on a Ubuntu Live CD and on two different computers. I also tried being connected directly to the modem.

I don't run AV software in the background, but I have recently scanned the system fully so I know it's clean. The Ubuntu Live CD rules virus infection out anyway.

I noted you said it happens on more than one PC. So it is a router issue in all likelihood.

What router do you have and what is the MTU setting?

Raistlin
15-12-2009, 23:50
I don't believe this will turn out to be a VM specific issue so moved to 'Internet Discussion'.

cook1984
16-12-2009, 00:51
I have tried it connected directly to the router on my laptop with an Ubuntu Live CD in Konqurer and Firefox. It is not the router.

It has only started happening recently. I have not changed anything.

Rob: Please move back to VM forums. I can post to these sites without problems at work using the same laptop.

Raistlin
16-12-2009, 07:47
Just re-read the above and you do seem to have ruled out everything but your connection.

I'll move it back.

Peter_
16-12-2009, 18:57
I have tried it connected directly to the router on my laptop with an Ubuntu Live CD in Konqurer and Firefox. It is not the router.

It has only started happening recently. I have not changed anything.

Rob: Please move back to VM forums. I can post to these sites without problems at work using the same laptop.
You may need to use a proxy to access the site so try this link http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34773822-post18.html

Or you can try http://www.opendns.com/

Apart from that the is nothing that Virginmedia would be able to do if you called in as your connection is fine apart from this issue which is outside the support scope.

cook1984
17-12-2009, 23:58
I'll move it back.

Thanks.

Apart from that the is nothing that Virginmedia would be able to do if you called in as your connection is fine apart from this issue which is outside the support scope.

You mean to say that having a working internet connection is "outside the support scope"?

If I have ruled out everything at this end then there must be a problem with either the modem or the connection. Both of those are their responsibility. It happens on multiple computers and with multiple sites, or are you saying that VM don't support posting to forums or email?

Apologies if that sounds sarcastic but I really am struggling to understand what you mean.

I think the next step is going to be to call VM and demand compensation for the problem. I don't really care about the money, but VM do so hopefully it will motivate them to fix the issue. I could threaten to leave but since ADSL doesn't work here it would only be a bluff.

The problem with those tactics are that the response is usually to try and put you through to technical support who are completely clueless. If the techs on the VM newsgroup can't fix it then some chump in India with a script to read has no chance. Is there any other way to escalate this sort of issue?

Oh, and I still have the other two modems that VM sent me. I am using the third one now. Is it possible to go back to one of the old ones, or will they simply not work now?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter_
18-12-2009, 07:22
You mean to say that having a working internet connection is "outside the support scope"?

If I have ruled out everything at this end then there must be a problem with either the modem or the connection. Both of those are their responsibility. It happens on multiple computers and with multiple sites, or are you saying that VM don't support posting to forums or email?

You have a working connection and can browse the internet so the issue lies elsewhere.

So you call in and say my connection is fine but I have problems posting to various forums, all they will say is take it up with the forum or refer you to PC Help at £1 per minute.

I think the next step is going to be to call VM and demand compensation for the problem. I don't really care about the money, but VM do so hopefully it will motivate them to fix the issue. I could threaten to leave but since ADSL doesn't work here it would only be a bluff.

The problem with those tactics are that the response is usually to try and put you through to technical support who are completely clueless. If the techs on the VM newsgroup can't fix it then some chump in India with a script to read has no chance. Is there any other way to escalate this sort of issue?

Virgin will not offer you compensation simply because you cannot post on a forum as that is an unsupported issue.

Oh, and I still have the other two modems that VM sent me. I am using the third one now. Is it possible to go back to one of the old ones, or will they simply not work now?

Any advice would be appreciated.
The other modems should be inactive and should no longer be on your account as only one modem can be provisioned per account.

Click here for the Support Scope. (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/supportscope.php)

cook1984
18-12-2009, 19:38
You have a working connection and can browse the internet so the issue lies elsewhere.

But I can't browse the internet. When I try to submit forms they often get cut off or sometimes fail to post at all. That makes it impossible to do webmail or even twitter.

So you call in and say my connection is fine but I have problems posting to various forums, all they will say is take it up with the forum or refer you to PC Help at £1 per minute.

I know. This is the worst kind of problem it is possible to have - one for which there is no procedure to resolve.

Virgin will not offer you compensation simply because you cannot post on a forum as that is an unsupported issue.

Please review the thread. It's not just "a forum", it's all forums including this one, as well as newsgroups and email both via webmail and SMTP.

The link you posted suggests that my problem is within the support scope because it is clearly a connection wide issue at VM's end. I have ruled out everything here, even down to ethernet cables and modem PSUs.

BTW, should I be expecting a box for return of the two old modems? I'll keep them for three months and then bin them if I don't hear anything.

Peter_
18-12-2009, 20:32
But I can't browse the internet. When I try to submit forms they often get cut off or sometimes fail to post at all. That makes it impossible to do webmail or even twitter.

Please review the thread. It's not just "a forum", it's all forums including this one, as well as newsgroups and email both via webmail and SMTP.

The link you posted suggests that my problem is within the support scope because it is clearly a connection wide issue at VM's end. I have ruled out everything here, even down to ethernet cables and modem PSUs.

In the posts above you only mention the forums issue, but now it seems to be affecting general usage such as browsing and email.

You could call in and see if the are any issues but the is nothing I can think of and no one else appears to have any ideas either.

Can you borrow a friends laptop and try to see if that machine gets the same issue as your own.

BTW, should I be expecting a box for return of the two old modems? I'll keep them for three months and then bin them if I don't hear anything.
The will be no box to return the modems if you visit your local dump they have electrical waste skips.

Sephiroth
18-12-2009, 21:42
I don't think we've asked questions about the phenomenon itself.

When you observe this phenomenon, have you scrolled to a message that is truncated or does it come straight up as truncated?

Do you know how much of the message wasn't displayed?

Are the number of characters displayed on each displayed section more or less equal?

Does refreshing the page make any difference?

cook1984
19-12-2009, 00:34
I don't think we've asked questions about the phenomenon itself.

When you observe this phenomenon, have you scrolled to a message that is truncated or does it come straight up as truncated?

It comes up that way. On Slashdot I often use the preview feature and about 50% of the time only half the message will appear in the preview. The same happens if I just hit post with new preview.

Similar things happen on other forums. For blogs and the like which don't have a preview button it's very frustrating because there is no way of knowing if it is going to happen and no way to correct the problem other than post several messages until one gets through intact.

Do you know how much of the message wasn't displayed?

It seems to be random. Sometimes it's only the first few words, sometimes it's a paragraph or two. For some bizarre reason £ (pound) signs seem to aggravate it.

Email and newsgroups tend to just fail to send the message rather than sending parts of a message. I'd have to look up the RFC for POST based forms but SMTP and NNTP both require the end of the message to be marked and a response received which obviously would not get through if the connection is suddenly closed or dropped.

Does refreshing the page make any difference?

No it does not.

graf_von_anonym
19-12-2009, 00:44
The first thing to look at would be your modem power levels, and I'm curious as to if you use file sharing software.

Sephiroth
19-12-2009, 01:11
I am grasping at straws here. You said originally two different PCs. Sharing the same keyboard with KVM perhaps?

I mean, what would do this sh*t? Random screen control characters inserted via a duff keyboard or keyboard controller?

If you see it as you type, though, that theory would be ruled out.

If someone else brought their laptop to your place and tried it, would you expect the same problem?

This process of elimination is important but what we're then left with is the improbable. And that's what you're rightly fighting for.

Peter_
19-12-2009, 08:18
Cook1984 you really do need to borrow a laptop from someone just to see if it occurs with that machine.

cook1984
20-12-2009, 22:15
Okay, I'll try to get a friend to try their laptop here. Thing is I have tried an Ubuntu Live CD on both my laptop connected directly to the modem and on my main PC via a router. There is actually another PC in the house which I have tried with Windows via the router too.

It seems unlikely that all three would have the same hardware fault. The laptop directly in to the modem rules out the router, and Ubuntu rules out Windows.

I'm glad to say that for the moment the problem seems to have stopped. It did that before though and then started again, so I'm not holding out too much hope that it will remain fixed.

Thanks for the assistance. It's useful just to document the whole thing.

Sephiroth
20-12-2009, 22:22
Incidentally, Wireshark might help showing what's being transmitted. A bit of a mission looking back over it, but it could be informative as to what is and what is not being transmitted.