PDA

View Full Version : Is this theft?

davepenny
13-12-2009, 15:03
Are there any corporate lawyers on board who can give advice? I have an ongoing problem with Virgin Media that I think should be investigated, as I believe Virgin Media are stealing from me and many people in my area due to a faulty cable installation.

After encountering severe problems with my former BT installation, I transferred all my services to Virgin in May 2009 and decided to pay £25 per month for their 10mb broadband service and the extra for their HD Virgin+ TV pack. I was surprised that the service didn't appear to improve on my old 2mb service despite Virgin advertising "lightning fast" broadband - but I was still able to connect easily and so I let any complaints go. Last month the service seemed to go very wrong. I was barely able to connect to the internet at all, and when I did it was very slow - even radio shows on the BBCi player were impossible to play (I didn't have enough bandwidth!). I contacted technical support and they confirmed my findings, so they sent out an engineer who told me the installation had been faulty, but even when he had rectified this, and retested it, he was still getting less than 1mb speed from my connection. He told me he thought I had been receiving only a 2mb service, even though they had been taking the money for a 10mb service. He also said that, because of this problem, I wasn't getting the HD service I had been paying for, either!

I called the help-desk again on Wednesday and it was confirmed that my connection was only 2mb, but I was assured that the service would be boosted to 10mb that evening at 9pm. On Thursday the service was as poor as ever, so I called the help-desk again and was told that there was, now, nothing wrong with my installation or connection, so their opinion was that my router was at fault. I went out and bought a new router for £50 and installed it to find the same problem with slow connection speed and frequent drop-out. This time, I posted a formal complaint on-line to Virgin and, this time, I received a telephone call from someone who seemed to know what they were talking about; I was told that since November there had been a problem with the main cable that serviced this area of London but it wouldn't be rectified this side of Christmas. I was then, at my request, put through to the Customer Service rep who sympathised with my long lack of service and being given the wrong information but could only offer a goodwill gesture of £10!

If this was a known problem since November, why had I been told to buy a new router? I have been charged £25 per month for a 10mb service since May, which I wasn't getting; I have been receiving virtually no service for the last month (for which they are still taking £25 per month) and I was told by their help-desk to buy an unneccesary router for £50 - and now they offer only £10 as compensation. Apparently, they regard most of this as my fault, because I should have reported my speed discrepancy sooner, but I took them at their word that they were supplying a 10mb service, so surely what they have done since May is tantamount to stealing from me. Their records must show what my service was set at and what they have been charging me! Also, they are still charging me and who knows how many others of my neighbours for a full service without currently being able to supply it...and offering only a refund of £10 as a "goodwill" gesture. Surely this is unsound business practice at best even if it isn't illegal - and it should be! In my view, I should also be able to claim a proportion of the services I have subscribed to (Spotify, Rapidshare, etc.) that I haven't been able to use because of the fault - Virgin's fault.

Needless to say, I will be changing to another supplier at the end of this contract.

Russ
13-12-2009, 15:08
Wow that's harsh - if you send me a PM with your name and a contact number I'll pass it on to one of our high-level contacts in VM who have the authority to get things sorted.

webcrawler2050
13-12-2009, 15:16
Are there any corporate lawyers on board who can give advice? I have an ongoing problem with Virgin Media that I think should be investigated, as I believe Virgin Media are stealing from me and many people in my area due to a faulty cable installation.

After encountering severe problems with my former BT installation, I transferred all my services to Virgin in May 2009 and decided to pay £25 per month for their 10mb broadband service and the extra for their HD Virgin+ TV pack. I was surprised that the service didn't appear to improve on my old 2mb service despite Virgin advertising "lightning fast" broadband - but I was still able to connect easily and so I let any complaints go. Last month the service seemed to go very wrong. I was barely able to connect to the internet at all, and when I did it was very slow - even radio shows on the BBCi player were impossible to play (I didn't have enough bandwidth!). I contacted technical support and they confirmed my findings, so they sent out an engineer who told me the installation had been faulty, but even when he had rectified this, and retested it, he was still getting less than 1mb speed from my connection. He told me he thought I had been receiving only a 2mb service, even though they had been taking the money for a 10mb service. He also said that, because of this problem, I wasn't getting the HD service I had been paying for, either!

I called the help-desk again on Wednesday and it was confirmed that my connection was only 2mb, but I was assured that the service would be boosted to 10mb that evening at 9pm. On Thursday the service was as poor as ever, so I called the help-desk again and was told that there was, now, nothing wrong with my installation or connection, so their opinion was that my router was at fault. I went out and bought a new router for £50 and installed it to find the same problem with slow connection speed and frequent drop-out. This time, I posted a formal complaint on-line to Virgin and, this time, I received a telephone call from someone who seemed to know what they were talking about; I was told that since November there had been a problem with the main cable that serviced this area of London but it wouldn't be rectified this side of Christmas. I was then, at my request, put through to the Customer Service rep who sympathised with my long lack of service and being given the wrong information but could only offer a goodwill gesture of £10!

If this was a known problem since November, why had I been told to buy a new router? I have been charged £25 per month for a 10mb service since May, which I wasn't getting; I have been receiving virtually no service for the last month (for which they are still taking £25 per month) and I was told by their help-desk to buy an unneccesary router for £50 - and now they offer only £10 as compensation. Apparently, they regard most of this as my fault, because I should have reported my speed discrepancy sooner, but I took them at their word that they were supplying a 10mb service, so surely what they have done since May is tantamount to stealing from me. Their records must show what my service was set at and what they have been charging me! Also, they are still charging me and who knows how many others of my neighbours for a full service without currently being able to supply it...and offering only a refund of £10 as a "goodwill" gesture. Surely this is unsound business practice at best even if it isn't illegal - and it should be! In my view, I should also be able to claim a proportion of the services I have subscribed to (Spotify, Rapidshare, etc.) that I haven't been able to use because of the fault - Virgin's fault.

Needless to say, I will be changing to another supplier at the end of this contract.

Probably because the tech didn't do his research and just went.... urm... "Router" I would personally ask for the £50 back either cash or credit. See how that goes..

newbie1001
13-12-2009, 16:50

I would have thought you could leave now as they have addmitted they cannot supply you with the service you signed up for in the first place. This i would have thought would be enough to nulify the 12th month contract.

webcrawler2050
13-12-2009, 17:41
There's still "supply" there that's the issue I would imagine.

davepenny
18-12-2009, 18:04
I've heard nothing, Russ, either from your "high-level contact" or from the online complaint team.

I can't say I'm surprised - rather than admit they are in the wrong and earn some grudging respect that way, they will bury their heads in the sand as usual and hope I will give up.

As I said before, I will be changing to another supplier at the end of this contract for sure.

Russ
18-12-2009, 18:11
I'm sorry about that, I'll get this chased up straight away.

davepenny
18-01-2010, 15:08
Well, VM finally decided to take me seriously (many thanks, Russ!) and they sent a technician from the Chief Executive's office. He came round and told me what I had already been (unofficially) told...that there was a serious fault on the main cable that supplies this area of East London and that it had been earmarked for replacement at the end of January.

Later, when Daniel from the CEO telephoned me to explain the fault, I had a rant and said I felt it was disgusting that this had been a known problem since November and although VM knew that neither me nor god knows how many other people in the area were getting little or no service, yet they were still happily deducting the full cost of a 10mb connection from my account every month. He replied that although it was a known problem to the company, that didn't necessarily mean it was a known problem to the CEO and, as it had now been escalated that high, there was a good chance that the repair would not be "bumped" again and that it would now be rectified within the next few weeks. He agreed to return my BB cost for this month and said they would look into compensation for the last three months of poor service. Fingers crossed!

I suggest that any other affected customers, particularly in the E10 or E17 area, get in touch with VM to demand a similar refund. Despite what rubbish the Customer Service robots are scripted to say, this is a definite fault of the infrastructure that has taken VM nearly three months - and counting -to rectify. Hit 'em where it hurts and something may finally be done...

Russ
18-01-2010, 23:11
Glad you finally got somewhere :tu:

Rik
18-01-2010, 23:39
Must do better VM.

Hope it gets sorted soon :)

NeroAerials
20-01-2010, 23:25
E10 & E17

Old cable London area that backs onto stamford hill?

davepenny
21-01-2010, 01:20
E10 & E17

Old cable London area that backs onto stamford hill?

I guess so; VM have been a little vague about the size of the area that is affected by this "known problem".