PDA

View Full Version : 10 Engineer Visits - No further forward shocking!

Toilet-Duck
12-12-2009, 19:06
I've had enough of Virginmedia, ever since switching to 50 meg my internet connection always seems to be down or unable to load web-pages.

We have had 10 engineer visits and no further forward, so I am wondering if I cancel cancel and go back to BT? Even though we are meant to be on a 12 month contract, I believe that we have no been provided a fair service since singing up.

I have tried to be patient but it seems to be getting no where.

This is what we have had done so far:

Full Cable Re-Pull
Replaced Modem
Replaced cable from box to modem
Replaced Amplifier in street cab

When I ring technical support I get a completely different story every time I ring.

First I had an issue where the modem could not lock on to the network, this was fixed after the first month.

Second was speed issues, couldn't get more than 2 meg on download, and upload under 512 , on the 50 meg package.

This was fixed after a full repull and replacement modem.

Last night my cable modem couldnt lock onto the network yet again, flashing tick.

Worked fine again after 12am, now I have issues where I cant load web pages at all since it is just so slow.

The internet will work fine and then suddenly go so slow at peak times it seems. I can still ping websites but half of the pings time out and I cant load any webpages as it times out.

I have tried a direct connection and a separate computer to rule out my equipment.

The latest I have been told that the signal in my area is VERY low and that I would not require an engineer visit.

I ring again today (next day) and told that I DO need an engineer visit as my signal levels are bad, but the fault in my area had been repaired.

The engineer comes, tests the signal levels and leaves so its pretty much pointless.

I'm not sure who to believe anymore, and just want it to be fixed or want out of this company...

Here are my signal levels:

http://img710.imageshack.us/i/vmmodem.jpg/

One unhappy customer!

Mick Fisher
12-12-2009, 19:59
When VM introduce anything new to their network things usually go into meltdown mode for 6 months.

Lately we have, in addidtion to the 20meg upgrade fiasco which is still ongoing, the 2meg to 10meg upgrade, the 50meg upgrade and the introduction of the BAE/CView DPI System.

Go figure. :(

AHN-David
12-12-2009, 20:49
Yeah you dont have to worry about your 12 month contract.

Write them a letter. After you have done the letter and got a reply. If its still not fixed go to Ofcom.

Toilet-Duck
13-12-2009, 23:10
They are sending one final engineer round tomorrow and then I'll be sending letters off if it isn't fixed, I don't really have my hopes up :(

Stephen
14-12-2009, 02:47
There is a problem with the 50MB at the moment which is causing it not to lock on to the network however they are still trying to figure out why its happening.

I have the same fault, modem was off all of wednesday and tech came out on thursday when it was working again, however he knew of the issue and called a more senior person who was also aware of it and it went off again on friday and Saturday.

I have service again but its only 2MB, I think they changed the config file to make sure I could get access while they look into it.

83mjs
14-12-2009, 10:35
I have service again but its only 2MB, I think they changed the config file to make sure I could get access while they look into it.

Stephen, did the engineer do this for you? Or is it something they can do remotely? I have had no service all weekend. Even a 2MB connection would be better than nothing while they sort the 50MB mess out!

How can I get them to do the same for me?!

GMCinema
14-12-2009, 13:20
Stephen, did the engineer do this for you? Or is it something they can do remotely? I have had no service all weekend. Even a 2MB connection would be better than nothing while they sort the 50MB mess out!

How can I get them to do the same for me?!

Same here, 50MBit service stopped Wednesday (9.12) last week,
engineer visit on Saturday, need a new AMP in the street, nothing as of yet.
In the meantime, emails sent to my blueyonder accounts do not arrive either.
This is BAD, very bad.

Welshchris
14-12-2009, 15:56
I've had enough of Virginmedia, ever since switching to 50 meg my internet connection always seems to be down or unable to load web-pages.

We have had 10 engineer visits and no further forward, so I am wondering if I cancel cancel and go back to BT? Even though we are meant to be on a 12 month contract, I believe that we have no been provided a fair service since singing up.

I have tried to be patient but it seems to be getting no where.

This is what we have had done so far:

Full Cable Re-Pull
Replaced Modem
Replaced cable from box to modem
Replaced Amplifier in street cab

When I ring technical support I get a completely different story every time I ring.

First I had an issue where the modem could not lock on to the network, this was fixed after the first month.

Second was speed issues, couldn't get more than 2 meg on download, and upload under 512 , on the 50 meg package.

This was fixed after a full repull and replacement modem.

Last night my cable modem couldnt lock onto the network yet again, flashing tick.

Worked fine again after 12am, now I have issues where I cant load web pages at all since it is just so slow.

The internet will work fine and then suddenly go so slow at peak times it seems. I can still ping websites but half of the pings time out and I cant load any webpages as it times out.

I have tried a direct connection and a separate computer to rule out my equipment.

The latest I have been told that the signal in my area is VERY low and that I would not require an engineer visit.

I ring again today (next day) and told that I DO need an engineer visit as my signal levels are bad, but the fault in my area had been repaired.

The engineer comes, tests the signal levels and leaves so its pretty much pointless.

I'm not sure who to believe anymore, and just want it to be fixed or want out of this company...

Here are my signal levels:

http://img710.imageshack.us/i/vmmodem.jpg/

One unhappy customer!

This is the reason i wont upgrade to 50mb in Swansea because of their BSR issues concerning 50mb users and other users on the BSR with their connection dropping and ready light flashing.

I was told that the affected BSRs around the UK are due to have an update from Motorolla rolled out by December the 18th and that came from the CEO office who got the info from the planning department.

Ignitionnet
14-12-2009, 16:08
There is a problem with the 50MB at the moment which is causing it not to lock on to the network however they are still trying to figure out why its happening.

I have the same fault, modem was off all of wednesday and tech came out on thursday when it was working again, however he knew of the issue and called a more senior person who was also aware of it and it went off again on friday and Saturday.

I'm guessing you're no longer bonding multiple downstreams on your modem now?

There have been some software upgrades that were rolled out before the change freeze, I think these may have been 'problematic' :eeek:

83mjs
14-12-2009, 16:57
This is the reason i wont upgrade to 50mb in Swansea because of their BSR issues concerning 50mb users and other users on the BSR with their connection dropping and ready light flashing.

I was told that the affected BSRs around the UK are due to have an update from Motorolla rolled out by December the 18th and that came from the CEO office who got the info from the planning department.

Fingers crossed this update will sort the issues.

Just out of curiosity, what are BSRs?

Welshchris
14-12-2009, 17:01
http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/Cable+Broadband/CMTS+EDGE+Routers/BSR+64000_US-EN

xocemp
14-12-2009, 17:47
Welshchris, can you call your friends at the CEO office and get the fault reference for this "BSR with their connection dropping and ready light flashing"

I'd like to chase this up with VM.

Thanks.

Toto
14-12-2009, 19:51
I thought Welshchris had gone to ADSL now anyway?

abyzz
14-12-2009, 21:57
Your power levels look low compared to mine, a lot lower.
i.e. yours 2.54/2.5/2.28/3.22
mine - 5.18/4.76/4.64

Ignitionnet
14-12-2009, 22:08
Welshchris, can you call your friends at the CEO office and get the fault reference for this "BSR with their connection dropping and ready light flashing"

I'd like to chase this up with VM.

Thanks.

While you're at it numbnuts could you find out why they are rolling out a software update to the BSRs on 18th December when the change freeze has been running for a little while now and only emergency changes would be done, certainly not work scheduled weeks ago, Motorola don't have any new BSR code due now or in the next 5 days, and some BSRs received the most recent software update at the end of last month?

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Nah, waiting for the BSR code upgrade then will apparently upgrade to 50Mbit.

Paul
14-12-2009, 23:22
Nah, he loves VM too much (well at least he loves moaning about VM ;)).