PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Modem - Driver Needed

wazza2004
12-12-2009, 17:15
Friend was connected to virgin broadband using a silver modem using a usb connection. She had a new black modem delivered a couple of weeks ago to replace it. In the package was instructions on how to swap it over. She had no luck connecting through an ethernet cable. She had a couple of ethernet cables at home which does not seem to work according to the helpline. They have posted a blue ethernet cable which acording to them should work. This is already covered in my earlier post.

One thing occured to me if whether the black modem need a driver to run it. The silver modem had a CD which loaded drivers onto the pc. The black modem had no such CD, only instructions on how to swap over. Now with xmas hols coming up is there a place where i can download drivers for a black virgin modem which has only a ethernet connecton? I can download it onto a cd and take it to her pc. Otherwise knowing her luck she will have to wait till jan for the CD.

Thanks in advance

Peter_
12-12-2009, 17:20
You will not get a CD from Virgin as we no longer send them out as we have not supported USB for almost 3 years, you would be better advised fitting an ethernet card into the machine as you will get a better connection overall.

Does the new modem have a USB port as only the Scientific Atlanta has one fitted the Ambit 256 only has a Ethernet poirt.

Here is the Virginmedia USB drivers page http://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/get-started/usb-drivers.php

wazza2004
12-12-2009, 17:31
Thanks for the reply. The new modem does not have USB connection. The PC does have a ethernet card fitted.

I always thought this pc does not need new drivers because i had it at my home to sort out some issues. I connected it to the internet via ethernet cable to my black modem and it worked. When i took it back to my friend's house she has difficulty activating the new modem. The enet light does not light up/or flash after connecting. It only comes up at start up then goes off. The helpdesk says the ethernet lead is wrong???? that you should only be using a blue cable. I used a grey very long cable in my house and it worked. But nothing happens when used at her house.

I know the cable and ethernet cable works. When she plugs in the old silver modem and connect via usb the internet work, she can get internet. The reason for the new modem is that she wants to use a wireless router.

Peter_
12-12-2009, 17:33
Sounds like the NIC may be faulty rather than any cable or modem.

wazza2004
12-12-2009, 17:34
NIC means?

Peter_
12-12-2009, 17:36
NIC means?
Sorry, Network Interface Card what the ethernet cable plugs into on the back of the PC, takes about 30 minutes max to replace and instructional videos are on youtube.

wazza2004
12-12-2009, 17:46
Thnxs

wazza2004
16-12-2009, 22:30
Update - for some reason the network card in the pc stopped working when we tried to use the new modem.

Used my laptop to activate the modem.

Thanks for the help given.

Topic closed.