PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between blue and yellow ethernet cable?

wazza2004
12-12-2009, 17:14
Friend is on virgin media broadband. She had a new modem (black) delivered to replace the old one (silver). The old one was connected to the pc via a usb cable. She has bought a netgear wireless router which came with a yellow ethernet cable. The old modem had a faulty ethernet connector the reason for the new one.

When she connected the new modem to the pc using a yellow ethernet cable (from the wirless router box) she rang virgin media to connect the new modem. They had problems connecting/activating the modem. They said the ethernet light should light up or flash. So they sent another modem. Same problem there. Tried a different ethernet cable (standard grey cable which i know works) and the same problem. The virgin media helpdesk said we should be using a blue ethernet cable which normally comes with the modem. They will send her one.

is there a difference between the blue and yellow ethernet cables?

Peter_
12-12-2009, 17:23
The colour only as the is no difference in the cables.

Sounds more likely to be the Network Card that has failed, you can replace these for around £10.

Graham M
12-12-2009, 17:27
SOMETIMES Yellow is used to signify a crossover cable (where the send/receive pairs are swapped at one end - usually used to connect 2 pieces of equipment directly together) some devices may auto-negotiate what sort of cable is used and swap the terminals electronically to match, some equipment will not however and expect one sort of cable or another.

Peter_
12-12-2009, 17:32
We supply the yellow one with the router and usually the blue one with the modem and they can be used in whatever way the customer wants to use them.

If they are using the Netgear router which usually comes with a yellow cable we get them to put the yellow cable into the yellow port and the other end into the modem, then we get them to connect the blue one into one of the Lan ports on the router and the other end into the Laptop/PC for manual setup of the router.

wazza2004
12-12-2009, 17:36
She has difficulty activating the new modem. The enet light does not light up/or flash after connecting. It only comes up at start up then goes off. The helpdesk says the ethernet lead is wrong???? that you should only be using a blue cable. I used a grey very long cable in my house and it worked. But nothing happens when used at her house.

I know the cable and ethernet cable works.

She has a new netgear wireless router as Moldova says. We are concentrating on getting the moem sorted before we look at the wireless router.

Peter_
12-12-2009, 17:38
You seem to have 2 threads that are basically the same issue here and I have answered this in the other thread.

wazza2004
12-12-2009, 17:45
You seem to have 2 threads that are basically the same issue here and I have answered this in the other thread.

One thread covers the ethernet cable and the other drivers for a modem.

Did not realise that both can be answered on one thread. Feel free to combine both.

Peter_
12-12-2009, 17:52
One thread covers the ethernet cable and the other drivers for a modem.

Did not realise that both can be answered on one thread. Feel free to combine both.
I see what you mean but both could have been in one thread but you have your answers now I think.:)

jungleguy
13-12-2009, 08:59
I'm a bit of an expert on this, the difference between the 2 is one's yellow and the other one is blue.

Paul
13-12-2009, 11:34
My current cables are Red, Blue, Yellow, Green & Grey.

I have an unused orange one in my draw.

Peter_
13-12-2009, 11:49
I have 2 shades of blue, 2 shades of grey and a white one and probably some others but they are all standard CAT5E cables.

Kymmy
13-12-2009, 11:51
I've still got some that look like this ;)

Download Failed (1)

Peter_
13-12-2009, 11:53
This getting to be a Cable waving competition.:D

Graham M
13-12-2009, 12:45
I've still got some that look like this ;)

http://www.ssos.com/tokenring.jpg

Aaaah good old Token Ring, those were the days :p:

Hugh
13-12-2009, 14:53
erm, no.......

wazza2004
16-12-2009, 22:28
Update - for some reason the network card in the pc stopped working when we tried to use the new modem. It had nothing to do with the cable. All the cables are the same just coloured to help installation for newcomers. Used my laptop to activate the modem.

Thanks for the help given.

Topic closed.

jeannine
30-05-2010, 12:15
I want to have a very short ethernet cable and also virgin. the TV/router and VM broadband box are very close together. I've too much cabling in my life already. HELP. How do I replace them with very short cables? The online stores seem to sell .5m as the shorted. I have .5 and too long!
Many thanks,
Jeannine

zing_deleted
30-05-2010, 12:17
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20cm-Network-CAT5E-Patch-Ethernet-Lan-Cable-Lead-Short_W0QQitemZ200270484296QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=b090c59d1280a0aad2248764ff193eca 20cm short enough?

Kymmy
30-05-2010, 12:18
Welcome to the forum

A very very quick google for "short ethernet cable" brought me up this seller on ebay

ebay item # 200270484296