PDA

View Full Version : Very Slow browsing yet download speeds look okay

africanshox
10-12-2009, 19:39
I fint this quite unusual my web broswing is really slow as well as whn i try and play games on my ps3 console i get really bad latency. However i tried downloading from rapidshare using a 190mb file as a test and it averages at 1.98 mb/sec what gives?

gjbxxx
11-12-2009, 00:14
I have been having the same problem for months on 20MB service in Cardiff. I had an engineer to the house who said the upstream power levels were too high (59.5) but he could not lower it and its still the same weeks later.
One thing I have found is that the PS3 appears to have poor network adapters. I have tested both wireless and wired on the PS3 and cia router and direct connection and compared it with my laptop. . I found that in every case ping times were 2-3 times slower on the PS3 and iPlayer and downloads almost unusable at times when the laptop had no problems at all. That leads me to think either the PS3 adapters are poor and/or they are more susceptible to the issues with my VM connection.

Laxmanstretch
11-12-2009, 22:44
CHAPS! i have/had this problem also!

go to contol panel, network conections. Right click on your connection, properties, then uninstall QoS packages, as described here in better detail

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/using/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

its worked for me..i think. (also updated my network care software at the same time so it could have been that or this..

Ignitionnet
11-12-2009, 23:00
Have you guys checked your pings via a PC that downloads ok, and is it worse during certain periods of the day?

Laxman, good suggestion but PS3 latency problem won't be related to it.

Laxmanstretch
20-12-2009, 22:01
It didnt work (worked for the rest of the day i posted though. I have to spam refresh to get some pages to load, then they do so quickly. I dont think speed is the issue, the DNS just seems to forget me.

although an old topic if this improved somehow, please let me know and ill try the same.

ruddock08
26-12-2009, 14:03
Same problem here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33659475-slow-browsing-network-packet-loss-local.html and in my thread Timeout 20 MB

Ignitionnet
26-12-2009, 18:16
Nice chain of links to unrelated issues, cheers for that :)

This guy's problems kicked off 2 weeks ago, a tad before yours so not the same 'problem' even if symptoms appear similar!