PDA

View Full Version : UK Timeline Paradox : Season 1

Paul
25-11-2009, 11:13
Did anyone see this last night ?

A series of images were sent to a scientist, that were from an accident 18 hours in the future, he reports them to the Police and they end up trying to figure out what happened, before it happens.

It was quite good in the end, there are four more in the series.

Chris
25-11-2009, 11:22
It was very good, real edge-of-your-seat stuff, especially towards the end. I hope the rest of the episodes can keep it up. Part 1 had an advantage in that we don't know whether it's possible for the team to change the outcome or not. As the series progresses, one way or another it's going to be harder for them to maintain the suspense as the finale approaches. But, let's not be pessimistic, this was very good TV, especially when you consider it was S01E01, where they have to establish the characters and the premise as well as telling a decent story.

Pog66
25-11-2009, 12:57
TO be honest was a bit disappointed - a great idea & good plotline but, IMHO, appallingly delivered.

1) why only 3 policeman investigating ? !!
2) They found the bridge after about 30 mins - why not close the road and stop trains going over it?
3) Surely they should have been able to trace Kirsty, find out she wouldn't be directly involved and get the mobile number of the tanker driver?

If 1) & 2) was because no one else was taking the scientist seriously then they should have made ore of this being the case.

Anyway - will persevere - next week could be interesting with beardy-tamsin-snogger-bloke looking like he get's it

Paul
25-11-2009, 14:54
Re 1 & 2 - because they werent taking it too seriously to start with (until it was too late).

moaningmags
25-11-2009, 15:24
I thought it was really good and will be watching next week.

Mick Fisher
25-11-2009, 17:02
I wasn't very impressed but will give it a chance to develop a bit more.

papa smurf
25-11-2009, 19:23
loved it

NoKnowledge
01-12-2009, 15:36
E02 tonight @ 9PM

Pog66
02-12-2009, 15:24
E02 tonight @ 9PM

enjoyed last nights episode more than the first - cracking ending - looking forward to next week.

Chris
02-12-2009, 15:59
Hmmm

Wasn't so impressed with last night. The dialogue was a bit clunky and at times was blatantly being used as a narrative device in a way that leaves me wondering whether the director lacked confidence in the ability of her cast to simply convey what theyr'e thinking or feeling by their acting prowess.

The show clearly wants to explore Big Issues about predestination, fate and God, but again, rather than playing it subtly and letting the events speak for themselves it's up there, signposted in big lights and horns in the dialogue.

There are also a number of places in episode 2 where the needs of the plot starts forcing characters to act in a certain way, rather than vice versa. Why, for example, at the very end, is the DS to 'never find out how close he came to dying?' Why is the DI so quick and willing to start breaking, entering and lying her way round Manchester like a latter-day Gene Hunt? Why is the goody-goody DC so compliant, kissing his cross one minute, playing getaway driver the next? How much does the DCI know about what's going on? Why does she ask so few questions?

This still has potential, but unfortunately, last night, now they've got the immediate needs of establishing characters and the basic premise out of the way, they had too much time on their hands to fill with nonsense.

NoKnowledge
02-12-2009, 16:49
"Throw the phone in the gutter" and (the gutter just happened to be right next to the car the two detectives were in). Yeah right.

Mick Fisher
02-12-2009, 16:50
enjoyed last nights episode more than the first - cracking ending - looking forward to next week.
I agree.

Paul
02-12-2009, 17:57
Why not just take the battery out of the phone ?

Anyway, it was ok, but I hope its not now going to go down the line of them saving the people every time.

Mick Fisher
02-12-2009, 21:42
Last nights Ep seemed to establish that a future can be changed.

So lets see what develops from that.

Paul
09-12-2009, 01:12
I hope its not now going to go down the line of them saving the people every time.
Hmmm, saved just in time again. Pity, its a good program, but its going to lose its edge if it becomes predictable like this every week.

Chris
09-12-2009, 10:16
It's going downhill fast in my estimation. They keep laying the God/destiny/mortality nonsense on with a very big trowel, and I find I don't really care whether they rescue the 'victim' each week or not.

The whole thing is so clumsy.

NoKnowledge
09-12-2009, 10:51
ANybody know for definite if there's only 5 episodes

Paul
09-12-2009, 11:59
Yes, there are only 5.

Pog66
09-12-2009, 12:59
Hmmm, saved just in time again. Pity, its a good program, but its going to lose its edge if it becomes predictable like this every week.

tend to agree - getting themselves backed into a corner a bit. Question is whether the source of the images will be revealed by episode 5 or whether they are looking for a 2nd series

superbiatch
09-12-2009, 13:02

Yup, i think we're all in agreement here. I don't think we'll be seeing anymore after these 5 :rolleyes:

Mick Fisher
09-12-2009, 16:36
Agreed, if the theme of who/what/why re: the downloads is not developed rather than just being hinted at, it is going to get really tedious.

I had thoughts of this developing as a Fast Forward Clone but it is beginning to look as though it might fall well short of even that dubious distinction. :(

We can only hope it will improve. If not it will be a complete waste of an intriguing premise.

cimt
09-12-2009, 20:31
I remember in an interview with DS, Tamzin Outhwaite said that they'll only be giving questions this season, not anwering them.

Here's the link:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/interviews/a186010/tamzin-outhwaite-paradox.html

Also, what is it with that cop? Does he realise that it's his fault if that woman from Holly's gets raped by that man?

Paul
15-12-2009, 23:04
Wow, much better this week. :)

Never saw that coming, what a choice, who dies and who lives. I would have chosen the same, and what has happened to the shop woman ?

Next weeks looked good from the preview as well.

superbiatch
15-12-2009, 23:12
Yep, was much better tonight :tu:

Chris
15-12-2009, 23:19
It's still horrendously plot-led, which forces the characters to do inexplicably stupid or unlikely things to keep the story on track. Like tearing round the city in the hope of identifying which building might be reflecting the moon*, or a steeplejack making a schoolboy howler of an error, allowing his rope to chafe against a sharp edge.

* serious visual FX gaffe, by the way, the first quarter moon setting at 8.30pm in the evening is lit on the right side, not the left - something the autistic scientist would have known all too well. In fact that particular piece of evidence, as presented, ought to have made him think the predicted events might be a couple of weeks away, rather than a couple of hours.

Still, it's just a piece of daft sci fi, so who cares ....

Pog66
16-12-2009, 14:57
or a steeplejack making a schoolboy howler of an error, allowing his rope to chafe against a sharp edge.

Indeed - climbers always check their ropes....and serious one's double up on carabenas as well.

But ...as said it's only a piece of sci-fi fun.....and hell I'm still watching. Better than much that is on at the moment

cimt
23-12-2009, 04:06
So, urm, yeah... Wasn't expecting that outcome although I knew something had to go wrong.

Pog66
23-12-2009, 10:10
mmm - season 2 then on the cards

Paul
23-12-2009, 12:17
mmm - season 2 then on the cards
It looks that way from the ending.

If they werent planning on it then they could (would ?) have left the final scene out.

ianp2009
23-12-2009, 13:16
Not such a bad show after all :)

I do wish tv companies would make more shows like this in the UK and not leave all the good sci-fi to the americans.

Mick Fisher
23-12-2009, 17:25
Hmmm... Can't say I'm gagging for season 2.

Frankly I'm quite underwhelmed by it. :(

I think the best Scifi lately has come from Defying Gravity. Mind you that was painfully slow for the first 6 or so eps too but once it got going I enjoyed it.
But its been canned. :(

Frankly I think they might as well can Paradox too.

Paul
23-12-2009, 18:26
Defying Gravity was painfully slow, period - no surprise it got the bullet.